Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Did an airbag deploy? With the prices these have been selling for as of late, I can't imagine it would be totaled w/o one of those deploying, unless it had other mechanical/body issues.

· Registered
328 Posts
No airbag, but with the radiator support their estimate came to over $5,000 of work, at which point they're > 75% of the value of the car. I think insurance is probably under-estimating the car's value a bit given current prices but not sure there is a way around that as I'm sure it's a predetermined formula. Will see what they offer me as far as a check, they haven't specified the price they plan to pay yet.
I recommend doing some of your own research on pricing as the asking prices are ~$8k+ for similar, and there aren't too many 2002 RSX Type-S' on the market. Some folks have had success in negotiating w/ the insurance company on valuations, but the mileage varies. Even if it's still a total lose, you want to walk away with a check based on a fair valuation of the car under the current market, not one which is lowered by years prior where availability was higher, demand was lower and inflation hadn't set in. Also, the typical threshold for totaling a car is 80%, not 75%, so I'm curious why they're lowering their threshold.

· Registered
328 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're required to follow market value when making a determination for a total loss; otherwise, how can they say it's 75%, or 80%, of the vehicle's value? Might check with your state's department of insurance to confirm whatever the case may be. If, as I suggested, they are required either by a specific law or some fiduciary requirement, then that department may be instrumental in getting things ironed out.

· Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, actually, there is a page on Texas law for this that pretty clearly states the owner has rights to contest if being paid less than market value. I got in touch with an agency that does this sort of work for diminished value / total loss discrepancies. I probably don't have the energy to lawyer up and fight a legal battle right now (plus I assume a lawyer fee would eat most of the proceeds), but I like the idea of working with this appraisal agency to see if we can get a better price. It would be great if I can get a more reasonable market rate for it (or closer to) so that I can roll it into buying a replacement car.
The Texas Department of Insurance can probably serve in the place of getting your own lawyer. Here are some links to their website which may be of some assistance:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts