Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is bad or not so I am going to ask. Do any of you regulary skip 1st gear. It just seems like when you are sitting at a stop sign/light and are on a decline, the roll you get makes in unnecessary to start it out in first gear? Is this bad for the transmission or engine?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I don't know if this is bad or not so I am going to ask. Do any of you regulary skip 1st gear. It just seems like when you are sitting at a stop sign/light and are on a decline, the roll you get makes in unnecessary to start it out in first gear? Is this bad for the transmission or engine?
first gear is there for a reason.... the less you have to give gas while letting up on the clutch, the better. so if you are at a stop and can accel. from 2nd w/o giving much gas at all... you should be OK

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
first gear is there for a reason.... the less you have to give gas while letting up on the clutch, the better. so if you are at a stop and can accel. from 2nd w/o giving much gas at all... you should be OK

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Its not bad for the tranny... if your wheels are spinning at a higher speed than what is proportionally correct than your engine (idle, clutch in), then you might as well start in 2nd.
Sorry if that is confusing I retyped it like 20 times to make it sound more comprehendable :)

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
To start from a dead stop or very slow roll in second instead of first is bad for your clutch.
Probably due to the fact that you're riding / feathering the clutch for a long time, if i'm not mistaken..

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
I have a question on this subject...

If you start in 2nd, and you see it reach 2000 rpm, but you dont realize it hasnt actually caught the clutch completely, you let go of the clutch, and the RPM's drop quickly to like ~800-900 rpm, (where you get that low throaty (as throaty as an rsx can get) sound and starts to sputter a little) ... is that worse than feathering the clutch the whole time waiting for it to catch?

·
87 32 what it do
1,629 Posts
yea ur straight, just make sure ur not having to give it too much gas to keep it from stalling... that'll b the first indicator that u should've used first. better to ask than not

·
87 32 what it do
1,629 Posts
yea ur straight, just make sure ur not having to give it too much gas to keep it from stalling... that'll b the first indicator that u should've used first. better to ask than not

I have a question on this subject...

If you start in 2nd, and you see it reach 2000 rpm, but you dont realize it hasnt actually caught the clutch completely, you let go of the clutch, and the RPM's drop quickly to like ~800-900 rpm, (where you get that low throaty (as throaty as an rsx can get) sound and starts to sputter a little) ... is that worse than feathering the clutch the whole time waiting for it to catch?
seems like its about the same because the clutch tries to catch it but doesnt have enough power so the engine slows it way down.... i dunno, hard to explain

·
Thug Life
2,231 Posts
this came up on here a while ago, if you're rolling its ok, but the first gear was designed differently than the other gears and was made for moving from a dig.

Dunno thats just what i remember reading

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
yes, this is bad.

only do this in snow or other slippery conditions.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
this came up on here a while ago, if you're rolling its ok, but the first gear was designed differently than the other gears and was made for moving from a dig.

Dunno thats just what i remember reading
I wonder if this is true, can anyone find a credible source saying that the 1st gear was made differently so it'll take starting from a dig easier? It sounds like a reasonible assumption

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
I guess it depends on the hill, but if I am at a stop, I always use first gear. If I get to a stop and don't stop... well, that's when I use 2nd.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts