Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I started my car and heard for a brief moment a new squeaking noise right after the engine started.

Maybe the belt? It's an '02 base, 64K miles. Anyone replace serpentine belts (on unmodded engine) that early?

It really didn't sound like a belt, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.....

·
Hi there
696 Posts
It used to squeak at start up like yours but when it started to get colder out it would squeak constantly and never go away. So i just replaced it. I got the OE acura belt for 35$.

There is a guage on the tensioner of all K series motors if you look at the tensioner you will see an arrow and a raised rectangle and another recessed rectangle. If you are in the Raised part your belt is still within spec, If its in the other part then the belt is stretched and should be replaced

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It used to squeak at start up like yours but when it started to get colder out it would squeak constantly and never go away. So i just replaced it. I got the OE acura belt for 35$.

There is a guage on the tensioner of all K series motors if you look at the tensioner you will see an arrow and a raised rectangle and another recessed rectangle. If you are in the Raised part your belt is still within spec, If its in the other part then the belt is stretched and should be replaced
Hmm.....I checked the tensioner at lunch - it's within the specs as defined in the Helms. Not sure if what you are saying is same as Helms. Maybe it's just slightly off dead nuts?

At any rate, I already placed the order. After 64K, it's not a bad idea to replace a serpentine belt, especially when it's only $30!

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although I wished my belt would last forever (cheap bastard, I am), it's good to hear that I am about due for a belt.

Makes me think it is in fact the belt that made that noise and not something more serious.

·
Awd>All
3,163 Posts
Although I wished my belt would last forever (cheap bastard, I am), it's good to hear that I am about due for a belt.

Makes me think it is in fact the belt that made that noise and not something more serious.
its really easy to change it too. i had to take the wheel off to make it a bit easier.

·
Hi there
696 Posts
We get all of our tools from our honda tool program, Most of the guys will get their own from snap-on or something.

To replace the belt though you going to need a long 14 box end wrench and thats about it. He is right about taking off the wheel To make it easier cause if you take off the RF wheel and remove the plastic clips for the inner fender you can pull the plastic back and it will give you a good look at the crank pulley and it will help you remove and put the belt on. Of course i had the luxury of a lift and all i did was turn the wheel all the way to the right and that gave me enough room.

And just so your not coming back on here wondering about the routing. Jot down the way the belt was routed BEFORE removal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.