Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I have been getting a million PM's about what parts I purchased, how well its been holding up, and how much it cost... I'm making a build thread so I don't have to repeat myself 50 times a day :rotfl:

Before any flaming, this was an experiment to see how cheap and reliable I could get boost on a base auto. I am running dual ECU Kpro, and A2 cams on an A3 head/block. With nearly 10K miles on all parts, the experiment has turned more into a reliability review, as all parts have held up, and I drive at least 50 miles a day if not more.

Parts list, with prices I paid

($0 used) My stock injectors <--- modded for ~520cc
($75 used) T3/T4 .63AR exhaust .50AR compressor Chinese Turbo <-- garrett clone
($40 new) Garrett turbo rebuild kit, all new bearings/oil seals
($50 new) EMUSA 38mm Wastegate <--- very nice tial copy
($210 new) Godspeed Intercooler kit with SSQV BOV and piping <--- EMUSA intercooler, Knockoff SSQV, all piping from intercooler to TB
($40 used) Revhard cast iron manifold copy <---- very nice, came with the turbo as a package deal
($50 new) Misc couplers and adapters, 2.75-2.25 for throttle body to piping, 90* bend for turbo to intercooler piping etc.... all 3-4 ply silicone, all ebay.
($4 new) .063" oil restrictor <---- possibly the most important part
($25 new) Oil feed and return lines, ebay. -3an feed, -10an return
($30 new) Glowshift oil filter sandwich
($50 new) universal piping kit <--- used to get from turbo to intercooler, you will have a ton left over

If I am missing anything, I will add it on.

*NOTES

Oil restrictor is a must. Chinese turbos want 5-30psi oil pressure. Your engine puts out over 80psi at WOT. The restrictor is a MUST with the chinese turbo.
Previous owner of the turbo did not use a restrictor, 500 miles was enough to have oil leaking past the seals and a lot of coked oil all over the internals.

I am boosting 10psi rock solid with the EMUSA wastegate. The springs that come with the kit are 2, 5, and 7 PSI. The black one thats preinstalled is 7psi. There are no instructions with the kit, so I had to use trial and error.

The EMUSA intercooler in the godspeed "intercooler kit" is best mounted to the metal bumper support. This way, you keep the bumper support, and the intercooler is rock solid. I'm fairly certain I can hit a small child with the intercooler at 30mph and it will not go anywhere.

This thread is not about how ebay parts are better than name brand. Everyone knows a peakboost/full race kit will shit all over ebay parts. This thread is just put up so I can stop answering questions through PM about what parts I bought.

On a side note, I have had no issues with any of the parts, and the car pulls like a raped goat

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is a small video of when my gf was just messing around with the camcorder in the car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdPc_pjGQs
No tune, 6.5-7psi, very slow. Ignition and cam angles were not adjusted, I had to make the calibration from scratch due to the vtec killer cams
Just a "proof of concept" video, showing it works, it runs, and the BOV is nice and ricey

reserved for future pictures/video

·
Vendor
97 Posts
How is the auto liking the extra power?

Also, I pretty sure I know the answer to this question since you bought a rebuild kit, but since the previous owner allowed too much pressure to reach the turbo and the oil leaked pass the seals, are the seals toast? I have a Greddy 18g that the previous, previous owner did the same thing. No shaft play...I was planning on rebuilding anyway. Just curious.

In the video, I was surprised there was that much noise from the BOV, I figured the auto would keep it in boost during shifts.

·
Super Moderator
23,892 Posts
wow great cheap work man! Can't wait to see the finished thread

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the auto liking the extra power?

Also, I pretty sure I know the answer to this question since you bought a rebuild kit, but since the previous owner allowed too much pressure to reach the turbo and the oil leaked pass the seals, are the seals toast? I have a Greddy 18g that the previous, previous owner did the same thing. No shaft play...I was planning on rebuilding anyway. Just curious.

In the video, I was surprised there was that much noise from the BOV, I figured the auto would keep it in boost during shifts.
The reason the auto is liking the extra power is because I let off during shifts.
Without torque reduction during shifts, the auto just slips too much, and I am not comfortable with it slipping so much. However, I'm working on pulling ignition timing during shifting, and yes... it stays at full boost during shifts :thumbsup:

The oil seals were not blown when I got it, but there was a LOT of coked oil past the seals, and the seals were showing signs of wear. The edges were razor sharp from being worn, but the turbo didn't smoke yet... I just rebuilt it as a precaution

The oil seal style I have in the turbo is the dynamic type, which is basically a piston ring with a gap. It relies on centrifugal force of the shaft spinning to prevent oil from leaking past, and with excess pressure it will leak past the gap in the oil seal ring, and cause premature failure of the seal

I thought the greddy 18g had a restrictor built into the CHRA?

·
MEGATRON!
13,059 Posts
Since I have been getting a million PM's about what parts I purchased, how well its been holding up, and how much it cost... I'm making a build thread so I don't have to repeat myself 50 times a day :rotfl:

Before any flaming, this was an experiment to see how cheap and reliable I could get boost on a base auto. I am running dual ECU Kpro, and A2 cams on an A3 head/block. With nearly 10K miles on all parts, the experiment has turned more into a reliability review, as all parts have held up, and I drive at least 50 miles a day if not more.

Parts list, with prices I paid

($0 used) My stock injectors <--- modded for ~520cc
($75 used) T3/T4 .63AR exhaust .50AR compressor Chinese Turbo <-- garrett clone
($40 new) Garrett turbo rebuild kit, all new bearings/oil seals
($50 new) EMUSA 38mm Wastegate <--- very nice tial copy
($210 new) Godspeed Intercooler kit with SSQV BOV and piping <--- EMUSA intercooler, Knockoff SSQV, all piping from intercooler to TB
($40 used) Revhard cast iron manifold copy <---- very nice, came with the turbo as a package deal
($50 new) Misc couplers and adapters, 2.75-2.25 for throttle body to piping, 90* bend for turbo to intercooler piping etc.... all 3-4 ply silicone, all ebay.
($4 new) .063" oil restrictor <---- possibly the most important part
($25 new) Oil feed and return lines, ebay. -3an feed, -10an return
($30 new) Glowshift oil filter sandwich
($50 new) universal piping kit <--- used to get from turbo to intercooler, you will have a ton left over

If I am missing anything, I will add it on.

*NOTES

Oil restrictor is a must. Chinese turbos want 5-30psi oil pressure. Your engine puts out over 80psi at WOT. The restrictor is a MUST with the chinese turbo.
Previous owner of the turbo did not use a restrictor, 500 miles was enough to have oil leaking past the seals and a lot of coked oil all over the internals.

I am boosting 10psi rock solid with the EMUSA wastegate. The springs that come with the kit are 2, 5, and 7 PSI. The black one thats preinstalled is 7psi. There are no instructions with the kit, so I had to use trial and error.

The EMUSA intercooler in the godspeed "intercooler kit" is best mounted to the metal bumper support. This way, you keep the bumper support, and the intercooler is rock solid. I'm fairly certain I can hit a small child with the intercooler at 30mph and it will not go anywhere.

This thread is not about how ebay parts are better than name brand. Everyone knows a peakboost/full race kit will shit all over ebay parts. This thread is just put up so I can stop answering questions through PM about what parts I bought.

On a side note, I have had no issues with any of the parts, and the car pulls like a raped goat
^:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I had no idea you were doing a "build". Guess that explains why I see you in the turbo section. sweet

·
Registered
371 Posts
you think that would work with my rc 440s? bring them to 550? or even 650?

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you think that would work with my rc 440s? bring them to 550? or even 650?
I highly doubt this, the OEM injectors have the wafers/screen to improve fuel spray patterns

I don't think any aftermarket injectors have that, as it would decrease performance

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot where I got the rebuild kit, they are easy to find... you just need to verify your thrust plate and oil seal type

I'm not sure if its a "performance" rebuild kit... its just a rebuild kit lol

1 - 20 of 125 Posts