Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Am the Liquor
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear-ended yesterday by some idiot in an auto Magnum that didn't understand easing on the accelerator. Luckily, there wasn't much damage at all. I've got a ding about the size of a door ding right below that black strip on my rear bumper.

I got her card, so I'm planning on seeing if I can milk this. Is a body shop able to fix something small like this easily, or is it extensive? Kind of hoping I can get enough cash for this so that I can pick up an a-spec rear. :weeeeeeeeee:

I'll try to get pics later, its literally the size of a dime with what looks to be two even smaller dings next to it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Last I checked most insurance companies will pay the shop directly and do not allow for part substitution...but that could have changed or may vary depending on state/insurer...

Also, unless the car is new they may only allow for repairing of the part and not replacement...this can vary as well.

If they are willing to replace it but won't send you the check then you might be able to have the body order the one you want...keep in mind that some body shops will not allow this substitution b/c it could put their @ss on the line down the road.

Of course, if they pay you directly then you can do whatever you want....

Otherwise, probably best to ask the body shop you plan on taking it to...

·
Bundy :cry:
7,633 Posts
they'll probably install an oem or oem "equivalent" for the rear. this may vary by state, but in MA they have to install the cheapest bumper they find. Ding or no ding they most likely just replace it...

·
I Am the Liquor
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didn't even bother with getting her insurance info as it was so small and she said she'd just take care of anything it costs to fix.

Its a really small ding, and part of me thinks they could just take a little mallet to it. I'll just have to take it in and get an estimate.

I've attached a pic as well. I just want to know going into this what it would take to fix it.

Thanks guys for all your input so far!

Attachments

·
Bundy :cry:
7,633 Posts
Costs about $300 for bumper + $300 to paint.
"She's going to take care of it" would not help you at all. Hopefully you at least got a police report. Otherwise she can just say she never seen you before in her life. But the damage is tiny anyway.

·
06 MM-S
1,888 Posts
The honest thing to do is to take it and get 2-3 estimates. Show her the estimates and get the cash for the most reasonable price to get fixed. Then take said cash and do whatever you want with it.

If you want to "milk" it. Take it to a body shop that will over estimate it and cash it in and get whatever you want. It's your conscience.

·
I Am the Liquor
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Costs about $300 for bumper + $300 to paint.
"She's going to take care of it" would not help you at all. Hopefully you at least got a police report. Otherwise she can just say she never seen you before in her life. But the damage is tiny anyway.
The cops would've laughed at me for this. I'm just hoping that if I get a couple legitimate quotes, that she will pay. If not, I really can live with this damage.

As for "milking" it, I meant more along the lines of using the cash that would've cost to just "fix" it and get an a-spec rear. Not trying to rip her off for all I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts