Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after seven years I finally was required to get a smog check on my 2004 Type-S with the Comptech Supercharger. Here's what happened:

- Before the test I used both K-Pro and a OBDII tester to check for error codes. None.

- Took the car to a smog station in Folsom, CA. They're measuring HC, CO and NO at 15mph and 25mph on a roller. They also do a fairly extensive visual check.

- They're checking the car while I am sweating bullets. The car is done. It failed. So I am asking the guy what happened. Results:

- The car passed smog with flying colors, with room to spare and actually better than the average vehicle tested.

- My intake didn't have a valid CARB California Executive Order. It only covered cars through 2003.

- My Comptech Street Header didn't have a valid CARB California Executive Order either. The one on my header only covered through 2003.

- The PCV vent tube is a heater type hose.

So I going back home to do research. Results:

- They had mistaken my AEM CAI for a Comptech Icebox (I sill had both stickers under the hood). The E.O. for my AEM CAI is good for 2004.

- My Comptech street header does have a valid E.O. number through 2004, and I have the part number and receipt to prove it.

- Not sure what they meant with "Heater hose" -- I used the 3/4-inch hose that came with the AEM CAI kit, and it is hooked up correctly.

Back to the smog station. Result:

- They admitted their mistake with confusing the stickers. So the intake is okay.

- They don't care that the PVC hose came with the approved AEM CAI kit. They won't pass me with a hose that says "Heater" on it.

- The metal stamp on my header says E.O. D-455-17. That E.O. indeed only covers through 2003. The part # for my header is covered under E.O. D-455-21, which is for the exact same part but extends through 2004. Sadly, E.O. D-455-17 did not list part numbers, and so they won't pass it because I can't prove it's the same exact part. I suppose Comptech's extension for the header wasn't available yet when I bought the header in early 2004.

So I went to two car parts stores to get some EVAP 3/4-inch hose. No one has it. I buy 19/32 or some such, and then replace the dang hose (oh joy).

I put in a call to Shad to see if he can help with the stupid E.O. for the 2004 Comptech street header. I'd really, really hate to have to replace the header just because the smog place is being difficult.

Anyway, moral of the story (so far):

- If you go to have your car smogged in CA and you're not on special terms with them...

- Make triple sure you have all the darn stickers and make sure they match and check them against the CA Air Resources Board data base.

So there. I had been so worried about the supercharger causing me problems, and now I am stuck with a non-matching street header number.

Wish me luck.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
that sucks conrad, but good to see you around.

we only do obdII here, and the visual consists of...

inspector: do you have the stock cat?
you: yes.
inspector: good, where's the obdII port?

edit: maybe he asks if the horn and signals work instead of about the cat :confused:

·
I lurk a lot.
759 Posts
that sucks conrad, but good to see you around.

we only do obdII here, and the visual consists of...

inspector: do you have the stock cat?
you: yes.
inspector: good, where's the obdII port?

edit: maybe he asks if the horn and signals work instead of about the cat :confused:
Wess, your edit seems more correct. I've never been asked about the cat. Although they did once ask to look under my hood to see what size engine I had. I replied "oh 2.0" ... :shady:

·
Section 8
1,556 Posts
i am not surprised at all,
i sweat bullets everyday waiting for some cop to pull me over for nothing and then impounding my car for supercharger and test pipe

CARB sucks, a shelby supercharged mustang will be carb certified, a old 65 aston martin spewing smoke will be ok,
but not a 2010 JDM stock civic- go figure

i didnt know ts still drives an rsx

·
Registered
669 Posts
I passed no problem in Woodland with my Comptech SC with a way smaller pully, bigger RC injectors (Nice CF cover helps to cover those up), injen CAI and an ITR exhaust.

I admit that the smog place was taking their time looking the car over with me trying to explain everything to them but at the end got the cert.

·
Section 8
1,556 Posts
I passed no problem in Woodland with my Comptech SC with a way smaller pully, bigger RC injectors (Nice CF cover helps to cover those up), injen CAI and an ITR exhaust.

I admit that the smog place was taking their time looking the car over with me trying to explain everything to them but at the end got the cert.
exactly where did you get it smogged in woodland?

passing the sniffer is easy (this year), its the visual inspection that will get you failed, his eo numbers were off, i forget when comptech itself closed, maybe, didnt get the ok for 2004 passed in time for his header
i passed sniffer with pcv removed, in the past, failed the visual

Maybe i should spray paint my new pcv hose black to hide any lettring, its an orange fuel hose on an oil catch can

·
Registered
669 Posts
exactly where did you get it smogged in woodland?

passing the sniffer is easy (this year), its the visual inspection that will get you failed, his eo numbers were off, i forget when comptech itself closed, maybe, didnt get the ok for 2004 passed in time for his header
i passed sniffer with pcv removed, in the past, failed the visual

Maybe i should spray paint my new pcv hose black to hide any lettring, its an orange fuel hose on an oil catch can
Speedee oil on main street.

·
BECAUSE! racecar...
4,220 Posts
Man fuck cali lol

·
Average Member
1,149 Posts
Man I didn't even know you were still around! I remember reading your threads on boost when I purchased my RSX back in 04!

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Conrad, did you do anything to your Kpro tune before the test to try to lower the HC, NO and CO?
I didn't do anything to the calibration, yet the car passed that part with flying colors: Max allowable HC is 60 at 15mph and 43 at 25mph. Mine was 8 and 8. Max allowable NO is 459 and 746. Mine were 16 and 18. Max allowable C) was 0.53 and 0.51. Mine were 0.01 and 0.01.

I haven't been back for the re-check, but here's what I did:

Replaced the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder hear to the AEM CAI from the one that came with the CARB-approved AEM kit to one that is, specifically, for evap purposes. That was a pain as almost no one has 3/4-inch evap hoses, and so I had the make a smaller one fit. It's disturbing that a smog station can simply declare something that came with a CARB-approved kit as illegal when the Air Resources Board itself approved it.

For the header, I contacted CT Engineering, which took over when Comptech closed. Nate, who had initially sold me my first Comptech parts answered the phone and I told him the situation with the header (i.e. my Comptech street header had a plaque on it that went with a CARB approval EO that only covered 2002-2003 for the RSX. The same exact part was later also approved for 2004, but had a different EO number in the sticker). Nate was extremely helpful and actually created a new sticker for me that listed all pertaining CARB EO numbers for the header.

·
Section 8
1,556 Posts
Im selling my RSX soon and prob sticking to something stock,
Prop 23 was defeated here, it gives CARB more power,
Cali regulations make me sick
it leaves too much interpretation for cops, repair referees and smog techs/

automatic fail

1 - 20 of 32 Posts