Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
figured i would look into snow tires now before everywhere gets sold out of the good stuff. i slid on some ice last winter and landed myself in a ditch. so i'm a bit skeptical when buying snow tires now. i was told to check into the following:

• Toyo Garit HT Tires
  • Gislaved Nord Frost 5
  • Hankook Icebear W300 Tires

thoughts?

DSCN1502 smallish.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well, i was looking for opinions but i ended up going with a set of hankook icebear. obviously i haven't personally tested them in snow yet, but they hug the road nicely and only cost $102 a tire. a friend with a s-type recommended them to me. i also threw them on my old stock rims. i'd recommend that if you want to keep your good rims in good condition.

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
I've decided on some Blizzak WS70s. Others i considered were:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R,
Toyo Observe KX Garit.
Those two are quite a bit more of an extreme winter tire, and about $20-$40 more expensive than the $112/ea Blizzaks.

I tried to find some Yoko W Drives, which i know they made a few years ago, but no luck. I have the S drives on my car now and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just curious, is it bad to have lower profile winter tires? I have the option of a 215/45/17 or 205/55/16 tire. I would prefer to have the 17" wheels on, but would the low profile tire hurt winter driving safety in any way?

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
Lower Profile Tires are a bit worse. Your tires have to "plow" through more snow, which makes handling suffer. Thinner tires are better when you talk winter. Tire Rack actually has a lot of winter tire information,

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp

·
Registered
805 Posts
Lower Profile Tires are a bit worse. Your tires have to "plow" through more snow, which makes handling suffer. Thinner tires are better when you talk winter. Tire Rack actually has a lot of winter tire information,

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp
Doh, I didn't find anything exactly relating to tire sidewall sizes in relation better / worse winter driving setups.

So you're saying I should not have a low profile winter tire and get the 55mm sidewall size instead?

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
nooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

They're the biggest piece of shit tires ever! :(

I would know.. It's snowed twice here already. :shady::vtec:

Well you do live in Canada. Although, I can't really talk since I'm in Fargo. Looks like I'd better get my tires on order ASAP, they are talking 6-9 inches of snow here this week. The Yoko S-Drives probably won't be awesome in snow. At all. FML.

·
Eat Liberals
16,445 Posts
i know you didnt ask about these, but i have the michelin alpin p3's. here in baumholder we are on top of a mountain, and the snow here is ludicrous. our garrison leadership is total garbage and wont shut the roads down for anything, so i had to drive in almost 2 foot tall snow. they did me well, much better than the yokohama advan s.4's i had on before

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
i ran size 215/55/17 and they were fine.

actually lifted the car up alittle giving more ground clearance and made the ride smoother.

they are for sale btw. lol

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
i ran size 215/55/17 and they were fine.

actually lifted the car up alittle giving more ground clearance and made the ride smoother.

they are for sale btw. lol
It's getting into the snow season, and you're selling winter tires?

·
K20 WOT
817 Posts
Lol that looks pretty good.. 1-2 inches of snow.. up to 55mph wind gusts.. :D

I'm moving across the world so I won't be experiencing a Canadian winter this year. :vtec:
Lucky. However, I shouldn't bitch, I choose to live here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts