Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the dealer today afternoon for an oil change (Well wanted to do it myself by didn't have the right tools at the moment and wanted to get the wheels balanced too)
I wanted to switch to synthetic, mobil 1 was the only option there. As they were working on my car I was keeping and eye on as to what exactly is been done and I did see them using the hose from the ceiling to pump oil in and suspected the guy overlooked the work order.
When he was done he got the car and I asked him what oil did he put in and he said synthetic blend 5W-20. I said I asked for full synthetic mobil 1 ! He looked at the work order and said oppps! He went back and got it changed.
I don't say it was done on purpose, but it was just something he overlooked. How can we prevent this?
Overall I am happy with the service and it was good (Inspection, customer interaction etc etc), better than Acura dealer! Oh I forgot to mention, I had been to a Honda dealer.

Btw, Does the conventional wheel weights, that are on the side of the rim fly off often? I had my wheels balanced 3-4 months back from a 76 workshop guy and damn! there where no weights on any of my wheels ! that explained the steering vibration I was feeling at 70mph speeds.
Any advantage of the "in" rim weights over the conventional side rim weights?

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
I can relate with the difference between Honda and Acura. Acura feels more ritzy and pompous because it's "high end" and Honda is cooler and more chill. I wouldn't worry about the oil problem. You got a free flush, so in your switch to full synthetic that guy got even more of the regular oil out the first time :thumbsup:

The only imput I have for the wheel weights is that the ones on the inside have a better visual quality because they are more hidden. Other then that, maybe the guy that did the balance didn't make sure they were installed firmly. Also they are on the inside of the rim and as the rotation of the rims increases, so does the amount of pressure on the weights keeping them on a little firmer... Just a theory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm Yeah I guess you are right about Acura Vs Honda dealers.

About the oil flush, yes I did get the old oil out, but then the one he had put back in was again a blend and then the synthetic, sure he must have not changed the filter in the second flush. So technically I would still have about 0.2 lt of the blend in my system.

Btw, they do charge for 5 qts but only 4.2 is required and they didn't return the balance :(. I should have explicitly asked for it! my bad.

·

About the oil flush, yes I did get the old oil out, but then the one he had put back in was again a blend and then the synthetic, sure he must have not changed the filter in the second flush. So technically I would still have about 0.2 lt of the blend in my system.

Btw, they do charge for 5 qts but only 4.2 is required and they didn't return the balance :(. I should have explicitly asked for it! my bad.
If you ask about it you'll waste your breath. At my shop (pep boys) they round to the nearest highest number. Some people may complain and get a "Call 1-800-PEP-BOYS and make a complaint. We follow the corporate's rules." or a ":ugh:" face. Bottom line, its always best to do your own.

With the wheel weights, some weights fight tighter than other so most likely he had the height correct but the curve of the weight may have been too long and not have fully "grabbed" over the rim edge causing it to fly out. But when the weights are applied, the wheel should be re-balanced to make sure the weights don't fly off, hence, he didn't double check his work :thumbsdow

·
HONDA PACT
1,867 Posts
if its quick lube then its kinda hard to prevent mistakes like that. when i started as a lube tech there were a few incidents where i put conventional oil rather then synthetic and was notice when i was closing out the invoice. the best way is to tell the service advisor to tell the tech personally that the car needs synthetic.

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts

That wouldn't matter. You didn't start your car and get the oil circulating around the motor. It shouldn't have gotten in the filter. Even if it did, it would be a very small amount and shouldn't be worried about. It's 50/50 anyway, so it's better then regular. At least there is some synthetic :)

As for the 4.2 vs 5 quarts... I wouldn't even waste my breath if I were you. I buy a 5 quart job at Walmart, Mobile 1 full synthetic, and dump the whole thing in every time I change my oil. Been doing it for 3 years now and haven't had any problems. But that's just me.

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
So I was at the dealer today afternoon for an oil change (Well wanted to do it myself by didn't have the right tools at the moment and wanted to get the wheels balanced too)
I wanted to switch to synthetic, mobil 1 was the only option there. As they were working on my car I was keeping and eye on as to what exactly is been done and I did see them using the hose from the ceiling to pump oil in and suspected the guy overlooked the work order.
When he was done he got the car and I asked him what oil did he put in and he said synthetic blend 5W-20. I said I asked for full synthetic mobil 1 ! He looked at the work order and said oppps! He went back and got it changed.
I don't say it was done on purpose, but it was just something he overlooked. How can we prevent this?
Overall I am happy with the service and it was good (Inspection, customer interaction etc etc), better than Acura dealer! Oh I forgot to mention, I had been to a Honda dealer.

Btw, Does the conventional wheel weights, that are on the side of the rim fly off often? I had my wheels balanced 3-4 months back from a 76 workshop guy and damn! there where no weights on any of my wheels ! that explained the steering vibration I was feeling at 70mph speeds.
Any advantage of the "in" rim weights over the conventional side rim weights?
By doing exactly what you did.

We can't influence the minds of honda reps from here.

·
Always Brave
67,134 Posts

wow, you're too damn picky.
they open 5qts, that's what you get billed for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts