Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First things first...yes, I'm 16. No, I'm not stuck-up or spoiled. I'm simply a good, thankful kid who is treated well by his parents. Please, don't flame on me! Oh, and I'm NOT a street racer! I respect the speed limits!

Anyways, I'm pretty much a vehicle-aholic. Cars, trucks, quads, etc...you name it...if it has 4 wheels and an engine, I love it. So now that I'm 16, there's a whole world of possibility open to me. I'm looking to get a good used car...one that: 1) Looks good and drives well, 2) Is safe, 3) Has a good aftermarket, 4) Gets good gas mileage, 5) Has a good interior, 6) Can be turned into an Auto-Cross car for the weekends yet is still a good daily driver, and 7) Is reliable. All of this being said, I'm pretty sure the RSX Type S would be the perfect car for me. I was also considering the newest Civic Si (and I sort of still am), but there's just something about it that I don't like. The Subaru Impreza WRX, Subaru Forester XT, Chevrolet Cobalt SS, VW GTI, and Mazdaspeed3 were all other cars I was considering. The RSX-S just seems to have the best combination of what I want/need.

So what does everybody think, is the RSX Type S a good car for me? Thanks for the input!!!

·
04 Type S in the MOX
251 Posts
I love my Type S it the best car iv ever owned.

·
she loves it
36,225 Posts
Hi everyone. First things first...yes, I'm 16. No, I'm not stuck-up or spoiled. I'm simply a good, thankful kid who is treated well by his parents. Please, don't flame on me! Oh, and I'm NOT a street racer! I respect the speed limits!

Anyways, I'm pretty much a vehicle-aholic. Cars, trucks, quads, etc...you name it...if it has 4 wheels and an engine, I love it. So now that I'm 16, there's a whole world of possibility open to me. I'm looking to get a good used car...one that: 1) Looks good and drives well, 2) Is safe, 3) Has a good aftermarket, 4) Gets good gas mileage, 5) Has a good interior, 6) Can be turned into an Auto-Cross car for the weekends yet is still a good daily driver, and 7) Is reliable. All of this being said, I'm pretty sure the RSX Type S would be the perfect car for me. I was also considering the newest Civic Si (and I sort of still am), but there's just something about it that I don't like. The Subaru Impreza WRX, Subaru Forester XT, Chevrolet Cobalt SS, VW GTI, and Mazdaspeed3 were all other cars I was considering. The RSX-S just seems to have the best combination of what I want/need.

So what does everybody think, is the RSX Type S a good car for me? Thanks for the input!!!

you have just described the rsx type s in a nutshell. get it before they're all gone. :thumbsup:

·
Wingless FTMFW
553 Posts
Sounds like a good buy to me considering what you want out of it. Another choice that might be just as good, would be DC2 ITR, but chance of theft with those is much higher.

If you do purchase a used DC5, look for a certified one. That's what I purchased and haven't had a single problem yet. You could prolly find a good used, non-certified, but that just my opinion. :dontknow:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the positive input! One thing that's for sure...this forum is definitely a big plus for the RSX. Tons of great info and good looking cars here!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again everyone.

To be honest, I only have 1 concern with getting an RSX, and that's FWD. I live in suburban NY, so we see some good snow...how well does the RSX do in the snow with good tires?

And what about gas mileage? If I were to stay in the low RPM range most of the time, what mileage should I expect? And does it require premium fuel?

Thanks for the help everyone!

EDIT: If I were to mod it (which I eventually will), the list would be this: exhaust, intake, ECU-type chip, wheels/tires, and that's it.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I'm 17 too and need to convince my parents to get me my RSX-S. My graduation and b-day are coming up next month so it would be a good combined gift.
I just gotta convince my parents!!! They think that b/c I'm going to college and that I'll live on campus that I won't need a car.
But I found a nice priced 02

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i was in the same predicament as you a year ago.. i was 15 and my parents were looking to get a new car for me.. i wanted something w/ all the characteristics you mentioned, and i ended up w/ a 2006 type-s. i honestly love this car. i'm sorry, i can't answer your question about the snow, because i live in so cal, but i can vouch that this is a great car for what you want. the only thing that bothers me at times, is the lack of low-end torque. i also love cars, and i was glad to have this as my first car.

with a mix of highway, city, and spirited driving every once in awhile, i get about 26-27mpg. the type-s does req. premium fuel.

·
cheeto dusted!
5,057 Posts
for weather conditions like New York, wouldnt worry about FWD, wat you would probly need to worry more is ur tires and treadlife on it. always go easy on the gas and tap the brakes in bad weather.. i used to live in chicago so weather could be just as bad as NY. hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The S or Si sounds good for what you're lookin' for. Just do RESEARCH here on the boards before you start modding it, it DOES make a difference.

·
Amanda Bynes FTMFW!
2,080 Posts
Get the S bro ... It's an all around awesome car.

... I <3 mine! Got my '06-S after my '99 Integra GS-R was stolen/stripped :firemad:

What can I say? ....... I'm happier now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the asme boat except i'm 18 and I already own a Mazda 6. i love the 6, but it has transmission problems and i'm just out of warranty so it'll cost about 4k to fix. Basically I'm between these two cars and I'm in love with the RSX-S and it's looks, but not so much the SI(although when I sat in it it was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever sat in!). The only thing I'm not sure about it the center console(seeing as I love to feel at home inside my car). Just wondering how you guys like it and whatnot? Any disadvantages to it?

Sorry for thread jacking, back on topic..Go with the RSX, much better handling for autocross

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.