Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is messed up. I replaced my speakers, amped them, ran new wires for them, and installed a new aftermarket CD player. This has been one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

I put all the crap in over the weekend and my turn signals and hazards didn't work. So yesterday I pulled the receiver panel out and saw that I forgot to connect the plug to the hazard button. So I do that and also decide to make a stronger connection from my receiver's power cord to the power cord on the factory wire harness, because I noticed my receiver cutting out earlier in the day. I do that and plug it back in and now it doesn't turn on at all. I checked the fuse for the radio and it's fine, and I know the ground is OK. :confused:

Then, as I'm giving up for the day, I notice that my remote doesn't lock or unlock the doors. Neither does the switch on the doors. (I checked the fuse and it's fine.) If I put my key in and turn the car on, however, the switches work. :confused: Then when I got in my car this morning, the airbag light (SRS indicator) and the engine light (malfunction indicator lamp) came on and stayed on while I was driving. :confused: I'll check the fuse for the SRS after work, but it's not like I was messing with any of the wiring for those things, as far as I'm aware. I did have my battery disconnected for most of the time yesterday. It was disconnected all day Sunday when I installed everything, but the lights didn't show up till after my work yesterday (Monday).

CLIFF NOTES:

- Disconnected the battery temporarily

- Messed around with radio wiring harness to hook up aftermarket receiver

- Power wire from wiring harness doesn't seem to give power anymore; fuse is intact

- Now power locks don't work unless the car is turned on; fuse is intact

- Engine light does not go off after starting the car (means one of the engine's emissions control systems have a problem, according to the manual)

- Airbag light does not go off after starting the car; haven't had a chance to check the fuse yet

:mad:

EDIT: UPDATE ON POST # 7 (below)

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
My car is messed up. I replaced my speakers, amped them, ran new wires for them, and installed a new aftermarket CD player. This has been one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

I put all the crap in over the weekend and my turn signals and hazards didn't work. So yesterday I pulled the receiver panel out and saw that I forgot to connect the plug to the hazard button. So I do that and also decide to make a stronger connection from my receiver's power cord to the power cord on the factory wire harness, because I noticed my receiver cutting out earlier in the day. I do that and plug it back in and now it doesn't turn on at all. I checked the fuse for the radio and it's fine, and I know the ground is OK. :confused:

Then, as I'm giving up for the day, I notice that my remote doesn't lock or unlock the doors. Neither does the switch on the doors. (I checked the fuse and it's fine.) If I put my key in and turn the car on, however, the switches work. :confused: Then when I got in my car this morning, the airbag light (SRS indicator) and the engine light (malfunction indicator lamp) came on and stayed on while I was driving. :confused: I'll check the fuse for the SRS after work, but it's not like I was messing with any of the wiring for those things, as far as I'm aware. I did have my battery disconnected for most of the time yesterday. It was disconnected all day Sunday when I installed everything, but the lights didn't show up till after my work yesterday (Monday).

CLIFF NOTES:

- Disconnected the battery temporarily

- Messed around with radio wiring harness to hook up aftermarket receiver

- Power wire from wiring harness doesn't seem to give power anymore; fuse is intact

- Now power locks don't work unless the car is turned on; fuse is intact

- Engine light does not go off after starting the car (means one of the engine's emissions control systems have a problem, according to the manual)
Sounds like you cut too much or cut the wrong wire. Can you take a picture of where you hooked into the harness?

- Airbag light does not go off after starting the car; haven't had a chance to check the fuse yet

:mad:
Did you remove the seat? If you did, you would have had to disconnect the airbag, tripping the sensor. You can do the paperclip method to reset it.

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you cut too much or cut the wrong wire. Can you take a picture of where you hooked into the harness?
All I did was cut two wires from the back of the radio harness, which wasn't plugged into anything anyway (I amped all my speakers so I just use RCAs for signal). I cut the white/red constant power wire from the back of the factory harness to hook up to the equivalent wire on the receiver harness, and did the same thing for the red/yellow switched power.

640k said:
Did you remove the seat? If you did, you would have had to disconnect the airbag, tripping the sensor. You can do the paperclip method to reset it.
Nope, didn't remove the seat. Although I just remembered that I did go through checking almost all of the fuses in the interior fuse box to try and find problems. I probably unplugged the SRS one. It needs to be reset, and by the paperclip method? I'll do a search. Would pulling out and putting back in fuses have caused the other light (engine) to come on, and something needs to be reset for that as well? Maybe the door locks too?

Drahk said:
seems like you cut off a constant power thus your keyless entry only workin when engine is on. I might be wrong though.
Just to clarify, I don't need to start the engine, all I need to do is switch the key to the on position for the power door locks to work. But you're right, it does sound like a constant power wire isn't connected and a switched power wire is. But where are those wires for the door locks? All I did yesterday was tamper with the radio harness.

:(

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, after searching around some more I'm thinking (& hoping) that those two lights are on because I pulled the fuses. I'm going to give it a few days and see if they go off. If not then I'll start to worry.

I'm still stumped about the power locks, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since you disconnected the batter - the ECM/PCM was reset the idle timings need to be relearned (base model and type-s). Turn off everything (lights, audio, etc..) - start the engine and hold it at 3000 rpms (in neutral of course) and wait for the radiator fan to kick on - then let it idle normal with your foot off the throttle for 5 minutes. If you don't do that it could throw a CEL after driving it.

*You need to do this every time your batter is disconnected/drained all the way.

·
One with the Universe
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

Well, the engine light went away. The SRS indicator still stays on. I've discovered more things that don't work. Here's the list so far:

- Power door locks don't work without the car turned on.
- No power comes from the power cord on the factory radio wire harness.
- No beep when you leave the headlights on with the car turned off and the door open.
- No beep when you leave the key in the ignition (just in there, not turned on) and open the door.

I'm thinking these all share a connection to the battery and the same fuse. But which one? If they don't share a fuse, what could have triggered them all to go out with just tampering with the radio wiring harness and/or disconnecting the battery?

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
Since you disconnected the batter - the ECM/PCM was reset the idle timings need to be relearned (base model and type-s). Turn off everything (lights, audio, etc..) - start the engine and hold it at 3000 rpms (in neutral of course) and wait for the radiator fan to kick on - then let it idle normal with your foot off the throttle for 5 minutes. If you don't do that it could throw a CEL after driving it.

*You need to do this every time your batter is disconnected/drained all the way.
Says WHO!!!??

·
Registered
14 Posts
A

Just to clarify, I don't need to start the engine, all I need to do is switch the key to the on position for the power door locks to work. But you're right, it does sound like a constant power wire isn't connected and a switched power wire is. But where are those wires for the door locks? All I did yesterday was tamper with the radio harness.

:(

Thanks for everyone's help.
i had a similar problem when i installed my new HU. my keyless entry suddenly stopped working along with interior entry light not automatically turning on when a door opened or when i took key out of ignition. might my fuse or wiring from radio...don't know as of yet.
i'm really tempted to just take car in to get my hu reinstalled properly and figure out y my alarm isn't working

·
I am the Redout Guy!
160,221 Posts
When you cut the wires did you cut them one at a time or all at once? Cutting them all at once can sometimes temporarily bridge connections and cause shorts.

·
Point and Shoot?
2,493 Posts
when you pulled the radio out did you accidently hit, bump, or disconnect any of the other wires that runs, under and around the dash? i know that the main harness ties in under there for the cigarette lighter, you may have un hooked or pulled a wire out, or mabye when you pulled out the entire radio unit as a whole the back of it snagged a wire and pulled it out, pull the radio again and check everything, and even check under your dash, you might have accidently un hooked something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm having the same problem .. too.. alarm not working.. door only locks when key is in. so if there is a reset button... can someone tell me where it is..also my HU is not turning on too.. i checked all my fuses and they are still good.. so confused can someone help me..

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had the same problem and it ended up being a 10A fuse in the engine bay box. Do your gauges full sweep everytime you put the key to on?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts