Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Colts SuperBowl Crew
14,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight... got some track events coming up in a few months. And I NEED a harness after last season, w/ my ass flying around all over the stock leather haha. What do I need? I really don't want to install a roll bar or harness bar.

What are the differences between the sparco harnesses that CRSX carries? I'm looking at the 3 and 4 point belts. What's the difference in install between the snap style and the bolt in?

Any info is appreciated ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Here is a picture of my six point Sparco harness. It's a 3 inch camlock. I got the bolt in kit as you can see in the rear. The snap in is going to be removable while the bolt in is not. Driving with a harness on does take some getting used to. I would suggest after purchasing one you should drive around before you go to the track to get comfortable with the positioning of the belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
You also might want to look at Soloracer.com for some really good prices. The customer services is also topnotch. Here is the link to the sparco page http://www.soloracer.com/sparcobelts.html You can see the difference between the bolt in and and snap in. Also browse around the site as they carry other companies than Sparco.

·
now on two wheels
6,467 Posts
yeah if you do get belts, then you def need to drive around and get used to the belts before you race in them.

AlwaySmokin: did you have to drill and tap a hole in the front for the 5th and 6th points? if so did you do it yourself? pics??

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yeah I did it myself. I just tapped 2 holes on the seat support brace and did it up. I would check first with the organization you are racing with. Sometimes they have specific rules on mounting points but if you just plan on track days I'm pretty sure you'll be alright. I use mine for autocross currently but I'm thinking about putting a cage in so I can start club racing.

D

·
now on two wheels
6,467 Posts
AlwaySmokin said:
Yeah I did it myself. I just tapped 2 holes on the seat support brace and did it up. I would check first with the organization you are racing with. Sometimes they have specific rules on mounting points but if you just plan on track days I'm pretty sure you'll be alright. I use mine for autocross currently but I'm thinking about putting a cage in so I can start club racing.

D
word. so all i would need to do you be drill a hole and then tap it to the correct size of the eye bolt?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well there are a few holes already in the support so I think I used one of them and then had to make another one. Your also going to need to make holes in the back of the brace so you can fit a wrench in there. I believe it was a 10 mil bolt so basically you need have enough room to fit a 10 mil wrench in there. I used either a 1/2 inch drill bit or a 3/8th inch cobalt bit. A dremel would be really usefull with this because the bits are going to leave some points between the two holes you'll need to drill. A file will work also it will just take awhile. You could also just bend it out of the way if you really wanted to. Once you get this far place the nut into the socket side of the wrench not the u shaped side and tape it in with some masking tape. Once you get far enough onto the bolt the masking tape will fall off and you can go about business.

Then rinse and repeat. :laughing:

D

·
Registered
563 Posts
Those 5 and 6 point belts look really cool, but are designed for racing seats that have a hole in the seat bottom to get the belts up tight against your crotch. The danger is submarining. In a front impact, your butt is gonna slide forward and the tight waist belt is going to crush your internal organs as you slide forward. Your butt won't stop sliding forward till your crotch hits the leg straps positioned at the front of the seat. By that time, your lap belt is going to be around your ribs. Not where you want it to be.

The Shroth belt is best for our stock seats. No crotch restraint, just shoulder belts and a a lap belt. In a front impact, the shoulder strap has a break-away that allows your torso to move forward a few inches preventing submarining. Go with the Shroth 3 point. It gives you all of the benefits without any danger of submarining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts