Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Type-S with 178K miles. Driving home and right around 6K RPM heard a "pop" and the engine instantly shut off. There was no CEL prior to this happening. Had the car towed home and pulled the plugs to find this. (pictured below) The smashed plug was from cylinder three. (closest to the passenger side of car) The other plugs look just fine as you can tell. I pulled the valve cover off and everything looks normal. I took my 10 inch screwdriver and put inside the spark tube and on all 3 normal cylinders the screwdriver went down the same distance. The third cylinder (smashed plug) the screwdriver went down all the way and would have fallen down into the block had I let it. There is not a hole in the side of the motor and no oil spillage anywhere.

What do you think that my options are at this point? :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds like something broke and was bouncing around inside the cylinder.. then you might have bend a rod from trying to compress what ever is in there... since the screw driver can just about fall completely in... if you have the time and space to work on your car pull the head and see what's going on.. first grab a long magnet see what you can pull out and do a compression and leak down test.

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
What kenny said. Your first best option is to do a compression test to see if the ratio in the cylinder that broke the spark plug still good or not

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kenny said. Your first best option is to do a compression test to see if the ratio in the cylinder that broke the spark plug still good or not
I have never done a compression test before, doesn't the engine have to be warmed up though?

Every time I turn the key I get nothing at all.

·
RealTalk
5,636 Posts
Since all the plugs are out try and rotate the crank clockwise and see if it rotates freely

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Whatever happened, that engine won't run again without pulling the headed and replacing parts, so I wouldn't piss about with tests. Just go ahead and pull the head and see what you got.

Either a rod broke, a piston broke, or a valve floated. In any case, the piston, or parts of whatever broke, no doubt hit at least one valve. So there is probably damage to both the head and the cylinder wall and the piston/rod/valves are toast. You may be able to rebuild the head and block, or not--won't know until you look inside.

You could pull the pan and see if there are any chunks in it, see if the piston disintegrated. Your screwdriver test would suggest that it did.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever happened, that engine won't run again without pulling the headed and replacing parts, so I wouldn't piss about with tests. Just go ahead and pull the head and see what you got.

Either a rod broke, a piston broke, or a valve floated. In any case, the piston, or parts of whatever broke, no doubt hit at least one valve. So there is probably damage to both the head and the cylinder wall and the piston/rod/valves are toast. You may be able to rebuild the head and block, or not--won't know until you look inside.

You could pull the pan and see if there are any chunks in it, see if the piston disintegrated. Your screwdriver test would suggest that it did.
Great idea on pulling the head guys, when I have the time (car's parked in driveway for now) I'll report back and let you know what I found out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts