Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i got pulled over for doing 60 in a 35 in my old school mini (not even my type-s, go figure..) and i wanted to know if it's going to affect my insurance.
The cop said he was going to dismiss it as a "brainfart" (it's my first time pulled over) and write it up as a ticket but not give me any points or get my license suspended. On the ticket he didn't check the Speeding box, he checked the Traffic-Control Signals one. I'm guessing he wrote me up for not pulling over early enough. I was on a road with no shoulder so I figured I should wait til the next intersection to pull over but apparently not. So in the nature of offense box he wrote "Def was _________ (posed? pased?) for over a mile for exceeding the post 35 mph by 25mph (60)

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
last night i got pulled over for doing 60 in a 35 in my old school mini (not even my type-s, go figure..) and i wanted to know if it's going to affect my insurance.
The cop said he was going to dismiss it as a "brainfart" (it's my first time pulled over) and write it up as a ticket but not give me any points or get my license suspended. On the ticket he didn't check the Speeding box, he checked the Traffic-Control Signals one. I'm guessing he wrote me up for not pulling over early enough. I was on a road with no shoulder so I figured I should wait til the next intersection to pull over but apparently not. So in the nature of offense box he wrote "Def was _________ (posed? pased?) for over a mile for exceeding the post 35 mph by 25mph (60)

Thanks
The first part would be a good question to ask your specific insurance co and/or your state driver license bureau. Points for speeding can vary by state / juristiction as well as insurance, so the best thing to do is just ask them.

Second, it's not up to the cop to give you points or not, that is governed by the state, based on the violation. As for your ticket, there should be a space or box where the specific offense is entered...this is often a statute number (for example, Kansas would be 8-1558 maximum speed limits) you can then reference that number and see what the actual law you are accused of breaking is.

As for nature of offense, it sounds like he wrote " Def (defendant = you) was paced (he followed you and referenced your speed to his) for over a mile for exceeding the post 35mph (posted speed limit of 35mph) by 25 mph (60) (you were going 60 in a 35)

I think we have about a thousand posts on tickets...pay it, lawyer up, or fight it are your general options. Depending on the ultimate offense and what your insurance is going to do, each option comes with it's own perils. If the ticket is not filled out correctly, you may be able to get it dismissed pretty easily, but you will need to be good at public speaking and feel comfortable in a courtroom adressing a judge and surrounded by big guys with leather and guns.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks for your response, If it is just cash, I couldn't care less about paying the fine. I just hope it doesn't hurt my insurance/record.

What's weird to me is two things
One, the car is a Grey 77 Leyland Cooper. He wrote it down as a BLK 07 Mini Cooper (It probably looked black at night)

And then for the Charge section, there are many different boxes he could've checked including "Maximum Speed Limits", he checked the "Traffic-Control Signals" box.
Then under the Nature of Offense section he DID NOT check the "Speeding ____ mph in Allowed ____ mph", he checked "Other" and wrote "Def Was paced for over a mile for exceeding the post 35mph by 25mph (60)".

He said that he was being nice and dismissing it as a brainfart so I won't get my license suspended or any points on it. But he doesn't have the ability to do that?
What does "Traffic-Control Signals" mean?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah thanks for your response, If it is just cash, I couldn't care less about paying the fine. I just hope it doesn't hurt my insurance/record.
Well, that is a good attitude, i guess...if you couldn't care less about the fine, hell, paypal me a couple hundred dollars as well!

What's weird to me is two things
One, the car is a Grey 77 Leyland Cooper. He wrote it down as a BLK 07 Mini Cooper (It probably looked black at night)
grey...black...blue...probably won't make a cent worth of difference in getting the ticket dismissed. 77 cooper vs 07, that might be a point in your favor if you were to fight the ticket or try for dismissal

And then for the Charge section, there are many different boxes he could've checked including "Maximum Speed Limits", he checked the "Traffic-Control Signals" box.
Then under the Nature of Offense section he DID NOT check the "Speeding ____ mph in Allowed ____ mph", he checked "Other" and wrote "Def Was paced for over a mile for exceeding the post 35mph by 25mph (60)".

He said that he was being nice and dismissing it as a brainfart so I won't get my license suspended or any points on it. But he doesn't have the ability to do that?
What does "Traffic-Control Signals" mean?
Once he writes an offense, it is up to the state or governing juristiction to set the fine and points or other punishment. He could write a lesser offense or non-moving violation which might get you less (or no) points. From my earlier post, I was saying that for speeding (for example) if he writest the ticket for speeding he cant say 'Ill leave the points off this one' -but- he could write the ticket for parking which wouldn't score any points.

·
61 ci now
3,335 Posts
Sounds like he wrote you up for disobeying traffic control devices, meaning no points, small fine, and he just has to describe what you did to disobey the sign. It's a work around. Basically he says you weren't going the speed limit that was posted on the sign, but he's not giving you a ticket for excessive speed. Maybe StylesP can help explain it, if you didn't gather what I said. Honestly, I don't think you'll get any points or anything, so I would just pay the fine. He already cut you a break. Fighting it or getting a lawyer is just going to waste time/cost money at this point. I would say fight it if he wrote you for 25mph over, but he just wrote you for not following the signage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, thanks guys for helping me understand that. The guy definetly cut me a break in not writing me up for going WAY over the limit, and I'm plenty grateful for that. I mailed in the ticket today for 100-some dollars which is fine. I'm not going to fight over a hundred bucks when he was nice enough to let the points slide

Thanks
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.