Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd share my splitter build with everyone here. I sought out to make a splitter and canards for my dc5 as I plan to hit the track again after a long hiatus.

I started with trying to make canards...

There is probably an easier way to make a mold so I will be revisiting this soon lol.

Next up it was time to start on the splitter. I started out with some 1/2" ply
(which in retrospect might be too thin, or the wood I chose too flimsy). Traced the factory bumper then cut to shape.

Added a few coats of epoxy to seal the wood.

Just set the bumper on to get an idea of what it will look like.

I realized that the DC5 market did not have anything out there as an off the shelf piece to properly mount the splitter to the car so I set out to make my own. I wanted something similar to PCI/JDM Yard which would allow a quick install release so that's where I started.

I finally figured out a design that would work thanks to a setup Kazespec Engineering made back in the day. A lot of trial and error went into getting them right but I am happy with the outcome.

Mounted on the car

Then I decided to make my own canards and here is the outcome.

Here's a pic of the canards on my car.

IMAG0339 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good liked your page on fb and followed u on instagram
i m the guy who pmed u last week about getting one done for aspec lip
Ah yes. Let's keep any business talk out of here as I'm not a vendor I don't want to get banned lol. This thread is to share my work. :thumbsup:

Lol Zack.

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
Looks great man. I see Top One's site is back up and running but their splitters are for "show cars" only. Looking for something functional, I assume a front splitter that's worth its salt would have to be mounted the frame of the vehicle. What kind of materials would be ideal? I was thinking aluminum but the car is a daily, I don't think that would fly (in regards to a collision). Let me know if you can help me out. I was thinking about having a shop fab something up but I need some sort of direction to give them to run with it. We can always email since I don't wanna clutter your thead lol

·
rsxdudetx
406 Posts
Do you have any of these brackets for sale? I'm not a metal fabricator in the least bit lol. That's definitely the route I want to go instead of just mounting to the bumper. I'm building my car for the track so I want something stronger and more secure.

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, are you planning to take it to the track to test them out?
Definitely, but not until next spring. Winter is here so the car is going into hibernation and will stay in the shop for more product develoment. There are others with the brackets that I'm hoping will be able to hit the track before I do. :shady:

·
Unpopular Opinion
458,195 Posts
Jesus, this thread is all win.

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Unpopular Opinion
458,195 Posts

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much do one of these weight? I can get my hands on pre-peg and tedlar. It is not cheap but very durable and light weight. Depending on the weight. I figured i might just make on out of wood. to save some money.
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, obviously not as light as carbon but it's really not too bad. If Ican get it on a scale I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts