Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my a-spec spoiler has been sitting in the spare bedroom next to me for over a month. Yesterday i decided it was time to get that puppy on. So i called Acura and they said they'd do it for about $77 + tax(just install, no paint). I called to late, and they closed in 10 minutes (45 min drive to them). So i decided to go down today and get it installed. I drive all the way down there took me an hour in the traffic. I end up waiting 1 hour until my car gets its turn in the shop. The guy calls me back to the shop and tells me they can't do it! It doesn't match up with the factory holes, and their not comfortable enough to install it since it wont match up. Then they recommend me to a body shop near by, less then 2 miles. I go down there and they tell me they can't do it till next week and its gonna take 2 hours and 30 minutes to install it(WTF) And its $70 an hour, so they want to charge me $175 just to drill 4 damn holes in my trunk and take 2 and a half hours doing it(acura said it would take them 30 mins to 45 mins). I'm not sure where to go from here... And i really don't want go to the other palce acrua recommended me to. How much did you guys pay just to install your spoilers without paint? :firemad: :firemad:

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
i strongly suggest you try doing the install yourself. if you bought an authentic spoiler, you should have no problems with fitment.

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought mine from spoilerdepot.com :/ so its not authentic and i really don't feel comfortable drilling holes in my trunk. I rather pay someone else to do it, so if they screw it up, its not my fault and they will pay to fix it. And if i do it and mess it up, its just more money i'll have to pay out of my pocket.

·
03 PWP Type-S
1,118 Posts
Why don't you get it painted befoe you install it? You should take it off when you paint it, so that there is no overspray.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You will not believe this but...To be honest with you all...I paid 10 bucks!!!
The reason why is that, I let them work on my body kit a month before...they install my type-r wing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Try to find a local forum member to help you out. It'll be cheaper and you'll learn something new. I did that with my ESMM.

·
Average Member
1,149 Posts
i bought mine from spoiler depot and did the install, it wasn't bad at all. Just be precise. Use tape to mark off where you want to drill and line it up and everything. Make sure you put some sort of water sealant where you drill though, that shit can screw up bad. Oh yeah, and you should prob. get it painted first...

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow i'm very unclear :/ when i said "(just install no paint)" i ment to just install it and not paint it, because its already been painted. Anyway, thanks for the feed back guys. I already got a plan set out if anyone really cares to hear it:

I ordered my INGS +1 body kit the same day i ordered my spoiler. But i haven't been looking to install my body kit since it came damaged. DHL inspected it, and i put a claim in, there going to buy me a new read bumper(The peice that was damaged). But the thing is the rear bumper wasn't damaged bady, just a crackin the top part of the rear bumper 3 inches long. I'm going to just go to the shop i ordininally planed on getting my body kit installed. And i'm going to have him fix the rear bumper, install it along with the rest of the INGS + 1 kit and have him install my spoiler too. Insted of just waiting for my undamaged rear bumper to come in, and hold everything off entirely. By the way the reason i didn't get my spoiler installed by the shop thats gonig to install my kit, is because its really far away.

Also i waxed my car just now, makes my day feel a lot better. I'll make a new thread with pix of my INGS +1 body kit and my a-spec spoiler once its all installed. But i will probably hold off awhile before i post pics, cuz i want to wax it again but i'll have to wait cuz of the new paint on the kit.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

·
On a mission from God
5,647 Posts
The drill holes for spoilers are pre-marked from the factory on the hatch, you really can't screw it up. I got my a-spec from spoilerdepot and it took me like 10 minutes to install it, granted I had an OEM soiler but fitment was perfect and everything went smoothly.

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jericho73 said:
The drill holes for spoilers are pre-marked from the factory on the hatch, you really can't screw it up. I got my a-spec from spoilerdepot and it took me like 10 minutes to install it, granted I had an OEM soiler but fitment was perfect and everything went smoothly.
Mine sure as hell didn't match up with the factory holes. They even brought me back in the shop and showed me. And it was off a quarter inch.

·
CuJo™
3,881 Posts
squattingchimp said:
Mine sure as hell didn't match up with the factory holes. They even brought me back in the shop and showed me. And it was off a quarter inch.
Sometimes u just need to try and stretch out the spoiler. Usually from what I've read everyone has had pretty good fitment with spoiler depot products, but sometimes all you need to do is give a little tug and stretch it a bit to fit...Unless the holes are drilled too close or too far length wise then i donno what to say lol. mark ur holes off somehow and drill em.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
squattingchimp said:
brother, im telling you right now... just drill the damn holes yourself. not to sound like an ass but i was in the same position as you. the spoiler just chilled in my family room for the longest time. and a shop around me was gonna charge 100 dollars just to drill holes. so i said fuck that, borrowed a drill from work and drilled my 4 holes. just be VERY careful and u should be good.

·
Audio Junkie
3,778 Posts
do it yourself, i got the type-r from spoiler depot and i had no probs installing it yourself, maybe you can get a friend to help you if it bothers you that much

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Do the shit yourself and save some money.

·
CuJo™
3,881 Posts
Damn Wheni order mine i sure hope it fits oem holes. It has a template for drilling so i dont see what the problem is... How hard is it to drill new holes anyway? And what would be involved if the stock holes didnt fit the right mounting points on the spoiler. How would one go about making the right holes?

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
torndevil said:
Damn Wheni order mine i sure hope it fits oem holes. It has a template for drilling so i dont see what the problem is... How hard is it to drill new holes anyway? And what would be involved if the stock holes didnt fit the right mounting points on the spoiler. How would one go about making the right holes?
Theres no template. And i'm just gonig to have the same guy thats installing my body kit do it for me.

lnvisible1 said:
the place i went to, el monte auto repair square, only charged $35.
I'm only going to be charged about less then $20.

·
CuJo™
3,881 Posts
squattingchimp said:
Theres no template. And i'm just gonig to have the same guy thats installing my body kit do it for me.

I'm only going to be charged about less then $20.
I'd rather do it myself than pay any price to have it installed lol. They had a template on the site with bolt hole drillings... Its not up right now but it was a week ago...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts