Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently upgraded my transmission a week ago and thought I'd share this on CRSX.
What I did to mine after installing a Spoon LSD (1.5way) and a Spoon 5.1 Final Drive and all the DC5R main/counter/differential/transmission bearings and oil seals, gutter, oil plates, bolts, etc was putting in a Honda MTF which in case is not a recommended oil for having an LSD in on a DC5. A rumbling and chattering sound was present esp on tight turns on low speed so I ran it for 150 miles and also did the figure 8s (20x each way on full lock) and circles then drained it had it oil changed to Royal Purple 75W90. I noticed that there was lesser noise than it was on the first 150 miles which was absolutely satisfying. Now, I'm waiting for another 500 miles before having it oil changed again to Motul Gear FF Competition 75W140 and do the figure 8s and circles again on the recommended speed before tracking it next month. I believe one track day would be a great way to break in the LSD and the FD then have it oil changed afterwards. I'd consider Kaaz Gear Oil 80w90 since it is recommended gear oil for Spoon and see how it responds on tight turns and on the track.
Now that I have the same gear ratio of the FD2 Type R, it pulls so hard than it did before the drivetrain upgrade whether on 1st and even on 4th and 5th (almost every gear)

PS: Wish I could upload photos on here but unfortunately we've been experiencing Photobucket issues since Summer of this year.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are the shots in the rebuilding process of my K20Z1 NSN4 tranny code:

Transmission Hangers and Stay:

have them professionally powder coated. color is semi gloss black

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.5 Way LSD and 5.1 Final Drive Gear with Speedo Gear, Shim, and OE Differential Bearings:

LSD Ring Gear Bolt Set

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After draining the fluid, Subframe and Clutch Case (and also Tranny Case) are off the car:

Old Oil Gutter needs to replace everytime you crack the case open. I also replaced the old flange bolts for an added peace of mind. You could but you don't have to. I would .

We were counting each tooth to make sure it matches the factory.

Badboys!

Proper way to lubricate each clutch plate. I used a Honda MTF. I should've used AMSOIL Friction Modifier but I didn't unfortunately.

Differential Bearings have been pressed in

Ring Gear Bolts have also been placed through the gear

More MTF and make sure that the bearings have been fully pressed in and flushed.

Factory Open Diff vs Spoon 1.5 way LSD (factory diff is on sale)

then undo the factory FD shaft

4.7 vs 5.1 Final Drive Shafts

New Bearings and gears have been assembled through the Spoon FD shaft

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Old Cooling Plates and worn out seals and knock pins etc have also been replaced

Meticulously assembled and cleaned the inside. Had to make sure there were no metal shavings and excess dirty oil on the magnet and in the case itself.

BNIB Oil Gutter has been taken out of the plastic bag

Hangers and Stays have been put on with new bolts and everything. Wish I had time to repaint the exterior case to make it look like a champ but time was the culprit.

One Final Inspection

Honda Bond works like charm

Clutch Case has to be cleaned from debris and filth

Replacing Old Spoon clutch kit (disc, pressure plate and release bearing to BNIB Spoon clutch kit (only stage 1)

Spoon Stage 1 organic

Steel and Teflon Braided Clutch Hose for stiffer clutch feel

DC5R Used Flywheel (newly re-surfaced)

New DC5R Flywheel Bolts have been properly torqued down

Ideal gear oil for clutch type LSDs

or Kaaz 85w90
Currently, My DC5 has the same gear ratio as of the JDM FD2 Civic Type R does. Probably next year, Im going to install a different gear ratio and see how it performs.

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts