Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says...

im planning on spray painting a spare headliner i have black and i was wondering what type of spray paint i can use for the headliner. im not really sure what type of material it is

any advice/suggestions welcomed...

thnxx in advance

·
Certified Increadible
2,459 Posts
that is going to look bad, i think you are jsut going to fuck it up.... get it e upholstered... or do it your self, ive upholstered headliners before and it worked out awsome, no sags or wrinkled...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oki thnxx guys...

btw i was looking for some material i can use, but they dont seem to have it at michaels...where else can i get this type of material in a large quantity? id rather do a pickup rather than order it online...

·
12345678-87654321
745 Posts
Man to be honest. I saw my friends protege headliner in his apt. Looked like he bought a brand new black one. I noticed some duplicolor <~sp headliner spray after the right. I'm thinking there is a now way he spray painted that. It looks way to good. Come to find out yes he acutally sprayed it black. I was really impressed .. I mean it looked like it just came out of the plastic.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Man to be honest. I saw my friends protege headliner in his apt. Looked like he bought a brand new black one. I noticed some duplicolor <~sp headliner spray after the right. I'm thinking there is a now way he spray painted that. It looks way to good. Come to find out yes he acutally sprayed it black. I was really impressed .. I mean it looked like it just came out of the plastic.
haha, I wish I had seen it when we went to the tracks because on of the Celica guys in a local group here had a friend of his put a black suede headliner over his grey one and it looks amazing! It is so soft! I need to ask him how much his friend would charge for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just cover it man it is really easy, you will need two cans of 3M high strength 90 spray adhesive and a can of contact cement. I have done headliners in regular fabric, suede, micro suede and vinyl. It does not really matter what fabric you use as long as it is light weight and streches so you can get it over the curves with no wrinkles. the micro suede stuff is the easiest to use it streches really nice and does not sag over time like suede or vinyl. Just take out the headliner lay it on the floor and spray the crap out of it with spray adhesive, lay the fabric out glue side up and spray a good portion of the center the fabric, not the whole thing it is too hard to postion it right and smooth it out with glue everywhere. then once the glue has set for a few min, drap the fabric over the headliner and smooth out the center. then fold back the sides of the fabric and spray on more adhesive then smooth it out from the center of the headliner out. once the top is smoothed out let the glue set for an hour or so flip the headliner over and use contact cement to glue the edges down, trim of the excess and it is ready to go back in the car. I have done this on about 50 cars now and the only sagging was with suede and vinyl and that was over a year later in hot Cali weather. I have been meaning to do this in my car have not gotten around to it yet, got the micro suede off ebay for 35 bucks for 2 yards which is enough to cover the headliner. will try and take pics and make a DIY when i get around to it. Or if you are really lazy send me your headliner and i will do it for 50 bucks plus cost of the materials

Reactions: DC5Berry

·
Registered
807 Posts
^^I have a black microsuede sportcoat and it feels so good! I would love to have that stuff on my headliner. Ebay huh...I need to check that out. I always wondered how to do this. Thanks a lot and try to do it as soon as possible so we can all see it! + rep

·
Currently High.
790 Posts
just to fill you in on my experience it did not work at all, it chipped away. sucked shit.

·
tie - coorz
1,245 Posts
I sprayed my headliner black about a year or so ago, and the smell was bad for about 2 days in the summer. Turned out to be an awesome DIY, because now the car actually matches. Only problem I had was that I forgot to do the moonroof cover...doh!

EDIT: No chipping away of any kind, I live in Philadelphia, I can show you how awesome it came out. I guess it matters what type of spraypaint you get. I paid top dollar(8.95per can, lol) to have the job work out the way I expected it to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts