Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another thread I created to write reviews on your spring/coilover setup. I had a lot of people asking me to create this one!

Here's the layout

Type: Spring/Coilover Brand/Model
Setup: Street, Mix, Track, Auto-X
Review: Your review (pros/cons)

ex.

Type: Eibach Sportline Springs w/ stock shocks
Setup: Street
Review: They Rock! (please be more detailed though)

8,021 Posts
Progress
Competition Series Coilovers
Street/Show/Occasional Racing and Spirited Driving :laughing:

Pros - Ride quality is great!! A little stiffer than stock, but not bad if you dont mind. Its a lot smoother than the Skunk2s I used to have. Havent bottom out yet. Height adjustablity is great. I can slam it to where the wheelliner is actually sitting on the wheels and even lower in the rear. Progress did pretty good in a suspension shootout with these coilovers and beat out all the other major competitors. :thumbsup:

Cons - None so far!!

8,021 Posts
Skunk2
Coilover Sleeves w/ stock struts

Street/Show/Occasional Racing and Spirited Driving :laughing:

Pros - Cheap. For only $300 it was well worth it. Rode almost stock quality. Wasnt too bouncy or anything.

Cons - Bottomed out on very big dips/bumps. Got pretty bad when my shocks went out. Was bouncing everywhere. Other than that, it was worth the money until I got the Progress Coilovers.

·
Keeps ruining his car.
632 Posts
Tanabe Sustec Pro SS Type-II
Full Coilover System
Street with spirited driving

Pros - Awesome ride! Not stiff unless you want to raise the stiffness (Mine is set at 2 (out of 4) in the front, 1 in the back) Handling in corners is amazing, ride is not rough or bumpy at all... almost identicle to stock. Decent price - $1160 at Hopupracing.com. Overall, im more than happy with my purchase.

Cons - Cant think of any!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
progress

First off let me say that I have not had a chance to really push the car because it is in need of an alignment pretty badly.

Ok - on to the good stuff.

The ride is night and day difference over stock. The car handles so much better it makes me wonder why I didnt do this sooner. There zero body roll now. The hotchkis swaybars were a nice mod but the coils made a huge difference. Under hard braking there is next to no nose dive now. Under hard take off the rear does not squat down like it used to. Even shifting gears doesnt unsettle the front to rear balance like it used to.

Ride quality is what really shocks me the most. The Progress coils have fairly high spring rates 350F / 650R and I was expecting a ride that would be to firm for me. I was mistaken. The ride is perfect, very smooth and not to intrusive. I could see it being a little annoying if you drive on washboard roads all day long but for every day real world roads they are totally liveable.

I have the fronts set so the spring perch is snug on the spring and that pretty much equals a 2 finger gap (by my fingers). The rears I tried the same - just putting the lower perch snug to the spring but that did not make any change in ride height at all. I had to lower the perch so there was only 1/2" of thread left for the drop to appear even.

Side note: When replacing the front coils I took that opportunity to replace the upper strut bearings. I popped open the new bearings and packed them with grease. I also greased the spring isolator that Progress provides in the kit where the bearing/top mount sits. This has gotten rid of my dreadful driver side "pop,clunk,thud" noise that Acura could not get rid of after 4 tries.

Now there are a couple of points that may bother some people. First the kit is height adjustable only. Next the kit re-uses some of the stock components - the front upper mount and stock bearing. It also reuses the rear upper mount, rear dush sheild and rubber isolator. For me these are all non-issues as reusing those oem parts allow a little suspension compliance and take out a little harshness, at the sacrafice of extreme outer limit handling. The height only adjustability is also ok with me because that is all I wanted and the spring/shock are perfectly matched.

All in all I am extremely happy with the setup so far - after my alignment tomorrow I will be able to push it a bit and see what she can really do now. Highly recommended!! :thumbsup:

edit: just added the pic - yes the car is dirty ;)

Update: I just had the car aligned today. All I can say is wow. Really that sums up the handling package now. The car is a blast to drive. Handles very well and still it amazes me how unobtrusive the ride is. If anybody is interested I am running -1.5 degree's camber in the front with 0 degree's of toe and I am running -0.7 degree's camber in the rear with 0 degree's of toe. Highly recommend the Progress setup! :laughing:

·
stop stealing my avatar!
10,884 Posts
Prokits w/stock shocks

Type: Eibach Prokit w/stock shocks

Setup: 90% street.... track and auto-x once a month or so.

Price Paid: $100 CDN (used)

Review: ----
For a street spring, they're not bad. the drop is subtle, and IMO looks pretty nice but would look nicer if it was 1/2" lower in the front. In terms of performance, they're not bad, but would be a million times better with a good set of dampers. I find that the back tends to float a bit too much with these springs and they'd definitely benefit from better shocks.

I got these because i got them cheap, and i would say if you get a good deal on them, you might as well get them, but don't kid yourself, most/all springs for the RSX with stock dampers are pretty much useless.

BTW: i would suggest that people also add the "price paid" section to their posts :)

·
suxors
443 Posts
Acura Aspec suspension
Street, spirited driving

Pros: Little stiffer than stock without any real loss of ride comfort. Handling is surely improved. Great on highway trips.

Cons: MILD suspension upgrade. Don't believe the significantly reduced body roll hype. Feels underdampened.

·
brian R.
6,558 Posts
Mugen Sport Suspension
street/auto-x mix

Pros

Near OEM pieces. Very street oriented suspension. The ride quality is great, only a slight increase in harshness over stock. Though, with the increased spring rates and dampening rates the car has a good amount more responsiveness and mechanical grip. Initial turn-in is a significant improvement over stock. Also significantly improved is corner and transition stability, roll, and predictability. While not overly aggressive, the car is very neutral and will rotate decently, especially with a mild rear sway (DC5-R sway on my car).

Cons

Could be more aggressive, depending on what you do or where you drive, this may not be a bad thing. For the auto-x/track regs, this may be a little too mild. Auto-xing the setup myself, I found the car to be predictable and very stable. And obviously, for the budget friendly, it's not the cheapest setup in the world.

Overall

A solid default setting upgrade for street oriented cars that retains near stock suspension geometry with a subtle ride height reduction. You will quickly learn that the stock tires are a huge limiting factor. In conclusion, you will have a well balanced, quick, and well mannered RSX, especially with a decent tire upgrade.

*Driven on both stock Michelins and on Falken Azenis Sports in 205/55-16

·
Registered
341 Posts
HKS Hypermax 2

Man all you guys with coilover set ups must be lying or driving on glass roads. At least the WRX guys in the forum that I sometimes go to dont lie about coilovers. In reality, coilovers are perfect for track but on rough surfaces it could be harsh especially on the rear where you sometimes hear a thud clunking sound. If people want ride comfort springs and koni's are the way to go, but if you want performance coilovers are the way to go.

Pros - HKS are very good in performance. Body roll is almost gone and turning can be dangerous sometimes because you wanna go faster and faster because my car with these coilovers are so planted that i feel invincible. lol. 20 way adjustable in the front and 30 in the back. I got mine set at 9 in the front and 16 in the back. At first I had problems setting my dampers and it was damn harsh on bumps. But after a few weeks of driving it, and getting advice from mechanics I finally got the setup to where I like it. The spring rates are 7kg in F and 9kg in rear.

Cons - On bumps where I use to hear clunking sounds are gone after the right set up. But if your on the wrong set up hahah you wont wanna drive your car. My ride now is still pretty harsh but thats just the way i like it. It keeps you connected to the road and it feels good. It doesnt feel floaty to me, it feels like a go cart. On certain bumps where there is a fast incline and dip and incline again you will hear the occassional clunk but it wasnt as bad as before.

Overall - Love these coilovers!!! Had a rough ride with them initially but I knew these coilovers had potential so I didnt give up on it. I finally got it perfect and the way i like em. Now its somewhat smooth but it still reminds me that these coilovers are for racing when it goes clunk haha.

·
you will bow to me
3,938 Posts
Type: Tein SS

Pros: Reasonable price. Reasonable adjustment range. Allows smooth transitions and has minimal dive under hard braking. So far, no loss of damping characteristics within the 26k miles on the setup.

Cons: Occasionally, the top nut on the front needs to be retightened. A slight increase in noise/vibration due to the pillowballs.

Note: There are slight differences between the first SS coilovers and the current ones. However, functionally speaking they are the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Type: Hayame Coilovers

Price Paid: approx. $700 from speedstash

Setup: Street and Spirited Driving

Pros: Good price... about half of what some of the "top end" brands are asking. Good quality as far as I can tell so far. I like how you can change preload of the shocks without effecting the height of the car. You can also change the height of the car without effecting ride quality. My springs are set fairly loose and I notice Very Little difference in ride quality from stock....quite nice. Also even with the lowest spring setting there is Zero bottoming out.

Cons: I had a shop install them instead of DIY to save myself some headache and some time. I have only been riding on them for a few days, so far, no complaints :thumbsup:

Overall: The drop looks great, the ride is nice, adjustments are relatively easy to take care of, and the price was right. A+ in my book

Attachments

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Type: Apex'i N1 Type-V
Review: Drives the way the car should have been from the factory. The independent dampening and height adjustment is wealth worth the extra money. I can go lower and not affect the spring rates. And I can also preload the springs slightly if I ever wanted to have stiffer springs.

I set the car up to be pretty low on the front, and not too low in the rear. The sideskirts are just about parallel to the ground. I put slight preload on the front drivers side and made that a little taller. A little is like half a thread. Not much at all. The car drove straight after putting the coilovers in, but the alignment was really messed up.

After finding out that I needed to really tighten the height adjustment collars, I got my car aligned. Now m car drove like it was on rails. No body roll at all, not uncomfortable on the street. My GF didn't even notice the riding difference.

There are 32 adjustments on the knobs to adjust the dampening, but I read there really are only 16 that should be used. I commute through Los Angeles freeways 25 miles each way everyday. Each time I drove I adjusted the knobs. The stiffest setting feels the best, but driving between 40-50mph on the freeways is a little bumpy feeling. It goes away though outside of those speeds.

So I tried going down 5 clicks. This seems to be about perfect driving around for the commute. So next I was curious what happens at 10 clicks. Now the car drives closer to stock but you still get no body roll and that extra firmness over bumps and bad pavement. I didn't like the stock ride too much, so I didn't really like the 10 clicks. I haven't tried any lower yet, but I think 5 clicks is perfect for what I want.

I am very happy with this set of coilovers and would recommend them to anyone who wants a nice suspension setup, very firm but not too firm. It would be hard to tell the car is lowered if you couldn't see the outside.

Apex'i kind of adjusted where the tie rods sit. I am attaching a picture to show how angled it is.

2 pics.

·
stop stealing my avatar!
10,884 Posts
Type: Mugen SS
Price: ~$500 shipped (USED) [new from King is ~ $1050]
Setup: 90% street.... track and auto-x once a month or so.

Other related mods:
- Neuspeed front strut bar
- ES front sway bushings
- JDM DC5R 22mm rear sway
- Eagle F1 GS-D2 225/50/16's

Review:
I used to have prokits (see my previous review), and there simply is no comparison to springs.
Firstly, the car feels much more planted, confident and predictable. with the prokits i found myself constantly correcting myself through the apex/exit of a turn.. the mugens give very predictable control and just the right balance. I could induce oversteer if i pushed it hard enough, but bringin the car straight again is pretty simple and intuitive.

A lot of people say it's not aggressive enough, but for a primarily street setup, i think it's just about perfect. on rough roads you can feel the bumps in the back, despite the relatively low spring rates. I do however, love the fact that it's not bouncy like stock shocks w/springs.

I just put them in a couple hours ago, and i haven't really had time to put them through a variety of roads, but i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Type: Ksport Coilovers $750 + shipping

Setup: Aggressive street to track

Review:
Pros You get a lot of stuff for your money with these. 36-way adjustable dampning front and rear, full ride-height adjustability, front pillow-ball mounts with camber plates. Very well matched setup here, just don't use full stiff on the street unless you drive on glass. I keep my dampning at about 4/5's stiff rear and about 3-3.5/5's full stiff front. This is for the street and is pretty livable while being stiff enough for serious aggressive driving. I've yet to take them on the track. Lots of variation for ride height, too. Very easy to intstall (but be sure to leave the dampning adjustment knobs on before the install!) as they come pre-assembled. You do have to use the stock top mounts for the rear, but that doesn't require much work.
Cons Front spring binding (for me anyhow), it didn't happen in all cases. The top of the front springs were getting caught under turning by the top rubber washer, and when the tension built up enough to move the springs it made an awful clunking noise. This was remedied by cutting off the top rubber washers and greasing the springs with a thick synthetic silicone grease. Didn't even have to remove them to do this. There's no bracket to attach your ABS and brake line, so you have to zip-tie those somewhere. Sometimes a little bouncy for regular driving, but that's not what these are made for. Lastly, the ride height perches like to come lose (fronts only, since my rears are set as far down as they go, which strangely is the perfect amount). I keep an eye on them and made a rubber washer to go inbetween the 2 perches which holds them nicely.

Overall Impression If you can get them, BUY THEM!

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
Type: Ground Control coilover with stock shocks

Setup: Street & Auto-X

Review: I'm not going to really say much about this set up. It actually did get rid of the rear end bounce even while keeping the stock shocks.

Recommendation: From personal experience, do not get GC or Skunks unless you are going to upgrade your shocks at the same time. Don't even think about getting these and then waiting till your stockies blow and then buying new shocks.

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
Type: Tein SS with Upper Pillow Mounts

Review: I've only had these on a week and I absolutely love them. I liked my Ground Controls untill I got these. There's simply no comparing the two!!! Now, this I'm sure can be attributed to keeping the stock shocks with the GCs. But for the price, this is definitely the way to go. We put these on and then went for a test drive. I gotta huge smile on my face before I even got outta 1st gear. The difference was that obvious.

I still need to get my camber kit on and get it aligned. So these good reviews are with a car that desperately needs an alignment. So it should only get better. :thumbsup:

I have them at the recommended height and damping rate. This is perfect so far for daily driving. And the drop gives approx one finger gap all the way around. Its still too early for me to start playing around with different set ups.

Recommendation: I'll never get anything but coilovers again. Its that simple!

·
clubrsx NO-BODY
5,410 Posts
Type: KW Suspension Variant 2 Coilovers with KW pillow ball mountsBrand/Model
Setup: spirited driving... soon to hit the tracks..
Review: http://www.kwsuspension.com/coilovers.htm

PROS: All KW coilovers are made of INOX Stainless steel... corrosion is not an issue with these.. i've had these for 2 years now.. the car feels solid and very sturdy... i feel as if my car is handling on rails... teamed up with my sway bars... 27mm front... 25mm rear... a cusco front, and a pair of bridgestone S03.... i feel my car is just so much fun to drive... even though it is not a type S... it is a very fun car to take corners in ! =P

CONS- a bit noisey at first.. until i installed the pillow ball mounts in.... um... besides that.. not much... i haven't had very many issues with these...

·
ricerboy
377 Posts
Eibach Prokit w/ Koni

Type: Eibach Prokit w/ Koni Yellow Struts
Price Paid: ~1400 CND installed (all new)
Review: Very good "everyday" setup.

Pros: I have NEVER had a problem with scraping, speed bumps, driveways, etc. The ride quality is near stock while the performance is definately nice. With swaybars the car feels like it's riding on rails. The adjustability of the Konis also means that I can crank them up for autocrossing and tune them down for street driving (my GF started rattling over crap streets in the city when the struts were crank stiff). Adjustability is very easy, but requires making holes in the rear wheel-well covers (through the trunk for access). I have driven with this set up 365 a year in Ottawa, Canada (where we have real winters.

Cons: The drop is not very aggresive (see pic) and for the price, you can almost get any other setup you want.

Overall: I want my car lower and am currently stuck between keeping the Konis and getting either Ground Controls sleeved Coilovers or Nuespeed racing springs, OR dumping everything and getting tein SS full coilovers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
tein s-techs w/ koni yellows

Type: Tein S-Techs w/ Koni Yellows
Setup: Street and hopefully auto-x sometime soon
Review:
Pro - I've had this setup on my car for about two weeks now and i'm loving it. The ride isn't too harsh as i commute 150 miles per week between home and school. Body roll has been reduced greatly. It lowered to about a two finger gap in the front and a slightly higher than two finger gap in the rear. I have the konis on the lowest perch in the rear to help even out the "ski slope" effect. It's low but not too low. I dont have any problem going over speed bumps and making it up most driveways (although i do not have a body kit/lip kit).

Con - I've noticed that when i turn the wheel going at slow speeds i can hear a ticking noise of some sort. Also, when i'm going over speed bumps i can hear a clunk from the front of the suspension.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Type: H&R Springs w/ Stock Shocks; Paid $200
Setup: Street, Sprited Driving
Review:
If you're looking for a cheap solution to stock ride height, go for it. Otherwise don't waste your time or money. Although they have made repsonsiveness and turn in allot better, (probably due to Neuspeed Strut Tower Bar). HArshness, Harshness, Harshness! If you like it harsh go for it, but be warned potholes will make you suicidal!

1 - 20 of 371 Posts