Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im looking at picking up a K20A2 with a spun rod bearing;
i've had no experience with engine building and i dont know what all gets messed up when an engine spins a rod bearing; is the head still good and how much money am i looking at having to spend to get the engine back running;
if not i plan to sell the bottom end to a friend so he can build it for turbo in his eg hatch.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay so how much money am i looking at to get it running again.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay well im looking at getting a set of k20 pistons/rods for cheap

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will keep it updated; imma rip apart the block
and look for bent rods see if the crank is still usable; fried piston rings and what not.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

picking these up for $95 shipped.. everything look okay?
they only have 7-8k on them and just have been sitting

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i got my pistons/rods today;
they came with rings but they arent brand new
should i buy new oem ones or can i reuse these
they only have 7-8k miles on them.

·
The new guy
112 Posts
I would just purchase new ones. If you dont know if the new pieces are good you have to measure them. If you dont know how then you gotta take it to someone who does because if you make a mistake and your dont have enough or if you have to much clearance youll ruin the engine again, not fun. You have to measure Cylinder bore, taper, crank mains, piston diameter, compression ring endgap, connecting rod bearings. Crank end play, make sure the block if flat, make sure the head is flat. Time consuming but its necessary. and these are all the measurements i can think of right now. but be careful and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for the tech help;
yeah i think im just going to purchase oem rings;
and get the pistons and rods cleaned up and probably pick up a new crank instead of turning it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha no thanks;
i saw your charts and heard you drive by..
i couldnt hear myself think.

·
Dafkup
2,080 Posts
I have a block in a machine shop right now bored .5 over stock and cleaned up well...Crank Mains and Rod journals were ground a bit as the prior owner of the car/motor spun bearing...
Funny how the crank looks perfect but in actuality is fk'd...You can usually see the wear on the spun bearing journal pretty easy though. Luckily the shop owner was able to save it by grinding all the journals. Cost me about 200.00 for all my work. Excellent pricing

·
CDM DC5!
410 Posts
depends how bad is the crank, you might getaway with polishing the crank( $60 at the machine shop) and oem bearings, i had a rod knock on my nissan motor(ca18det) and thats what i did, i didnt spent more than $200 and now it has new rings, bearings and gaskets, it runs like heaven, if you dont know what you are doing you will spend around 1000

·
CDM DC5!
410 Posts
I normally stay away from spun bearings because you can pick up a new crank for the same or less than the cost to repair the crank.
yeah its never good to cut the crank because the journals become thinner and the crankshaft could crack , but if polishing takes those scars away, go for it, have the machinist look at it, he'll tell you if polishing it will fix it, but if you have to cut it, dont do it ,buy a used one in good condition and polish it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts