Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my title says I've been getting a somewhat loud squeaking noise under the hood after it rains or if it's currently raining. It sounds like the belt and usually takes about 5-10 mins to go away, the noise starts as soon as I start the car. I've never really noticed it before but I was garaging my car a lot more often before. I only get it once the car is wet from the rain or a previous storm. I'm wondering if this is normal and if other people experience this? Also anyway to prevent this such as a belt lube or spray?

I searched "squeak and rain" but didn't see any threads that pertained to the engine.

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
Water acts as a lubricant. Helping a week, worn belt to slip . It's possible, that the tensioner is in need of attention , but less likely than a belt . I'll bet the install of a new factory belt by you , will be less than half the cost of a Tech telling you ,,,lets try a belt!

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
belt or compressor....

·
Registered
237 Posts
High pitch squeaking noise under the hood

just like JaCkaL829 has described, my 02 RSX (31K miles) makes this high pitch squeaking noise whenever it's raining. It started couple of months ago.
Does this mean I need to change the belt? Any suggestion?
Thanks

As my title says I've been getting a somewhat loud squeaking noise under the hood after it rains or if it's currently raining. It sounds like the belt and usually takes about 5-10 mins to go away, the noise starts as soon as I start the car. I've never really noticed it before but I was garaging my car a lot more often before. I only get it once the car is wet from the rain or a previous storm. I'm wondering if this is normal and if other people experience this? Also anyway to prevent this such as a belt lube or spray?

I searched "squeak and rain" but didn't see any threads that pertained to the engine.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just like JaCkaL829 has described, my 02 RSX (31K miles) makes this high pitch squeaking noise whenever it's raining. It started couple of months ago.
Does this mean I need to change the belt? Any suggestion?
Thanks
Change your drivebelt. I did it on mine not too long ago, and the squeaking went away completely. If you DIY print out the belt routing, somewhere on here, it helps out and make sure you have another guy to help which also helps. Took me about an hour to change it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts