Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased a base model 2003 RSX a few weeks ago it's lowered with green coilovers (don't know what kind) and it has 75k miles. The day after driving it home I noticed there's was a smell of burning rubber coming from my back tires, and black stuff all over my back bumper.. 3 weeks later and my back tires are completely bald, there's also a squeeking noise coming from the rear end when I hit bumps and the car seems like it might be a lil bouncy but I've never had a lowered car so idk if that's normal. I took it to les schwab and they told me it looks like the alignment might be off and they'd like to start with that for 90 bucks but I'm worried that the struts might be bad too and if I end up replacing them myself after they align my rear end will I need to take it back for another 90 dollar alignment?? Would the struts be the cause of my alignment being so far off? Could it be the bushings?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could it be the bushing squeeking and something else causing the alignment to be so far off such as the lower springs? Also the rear tires look cambered but surprisingly the tread wear looked very even.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Can you determine the black all over the bumper. If it's oily the shock could have blown and oil got on the pipe smelling like burning rubber. Do the rear wheels spin freely to rule out stuck calipers--odd but you never know. There is toe adjustment on the rear end in or out will cause excessive wear. Mine needed alignment tweaking after shock onstall. Outside wear, toe in, inside toe out--generally. Sqeek may not be related, but bushings can squeak.

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Struts can generally be squeaky however it kinda sounds like your struts may be blown causing the bouncing and making the alignment go out of whack. Do you notice an uneven or weird height difference?

When you change or adjust any suspension components, it is necessary to get an alignment again. I'd rather pay for another alignment than buy new tires. But if they're only adjusting the rears, maybe they'll charge half

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you determine the black all over the bumper. If it's oily the shock could have blown and oil got on the pipe smelling like burning rubber. Do the rear wheels spin freely to rule out stuck calipers--odd but you never know. There is toe adjustment on the rear end in or out will cause excessive wear. Mine needed alignment tweaking after shock onstall. Outside wear, toe in, inside toe out--generally. Sqeek may not be related, but bushings can squeak.
Sorry I should have specified, the black on the bumper is rubber from the tire and I'm pretty positive that the burning smell is the tire as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Struts can generally be squeaky however it kinda sounds like your struts may be blown causing the bouncing and making the alignment go out of whack. Do you notice an uneven or weird height difference?

When you change or adjust any suspension components, it is necessary to get an alignment again. I'd rather pay for another alignment than buy new tires. But if they're only adjusting the rears, maybe they'll charge half
The height difference looks normal. The car doesn't continue to bounce around when I hit a bump it just seams like it bounces a lil higher than it should especially in Seattle lol

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd check to see if the calipers are binding by seeing if the wheels spin freely. As the pads wear out, they can produce a squeak as the wear tabs rub. Rubber on bumper and bad tires doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the car to Firestone to have an alignment done, turns out the last owner lowered the car without installing a camber kit so because of that the tow is so far off I'm pretty much doing a burnout down the road lol.. just ordered a cheap eBay kit because it's never going to see a race track lol and Firestone is going to re align the car for no extra charge once i have the kit installed. I'm going to see if they can find what's causing the squeeking when I bring it back in in a few days

·
VTEC Connoisseur
235 Posts
Good luck bro! Im going through the exact same thing (minus the tire wear)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! So I've been reading through forums and I can't seem to find a straight answer to another question that I have.. Will a camber kit give me enough adjustment to straighten out the toe? If not is there another part that I need to buy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.