Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need some help.

Lately when i hit a bump or something with my rear right wheel it starts squeking really loudly.

It sounds like metal scrapping against metal, i've looked all around my wheel and rotor and i dont see anything hanging or where its not supposed to be.

The sound only goes away after i have slown down to about 10 mph, which makes me think it is the brake pads or rotors, the brake pads are due for a change fairly soon but is that what could be causing the sound?

Thanks for the help, im trying not to take it to a shop if its something common or an easy fix.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If your brakes are the problem I doubt that it would only make a sound over bumps. I would check your strut and strut mounts to see if that is where the noise is comming from. Do you have coilovers or aftermarket suspension?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, im on stock suspension, tonight after posting this when i was driving home, it started happening more often even without going over bumps, and it only would go away when i braked quickly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there a test for your bearings? someone told me to see if the tires moved side to side, is this a legit test?

·
Registered
25,817 Posts
bearings dont squeak they make somewhat of a whirring sound. Its prolly time to change ur pads, they noise will start getting worse.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thanks man, i wasnt sure about that cause it happens when im not using the breaks but ill change them and hope it works

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed my pads and the noise is still there:firemad:

Its driving me nuts!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
the same thing just started happening with my 02 except its the left front. I was hoping it was just the pads... sucks to hear its still happening. Keep me updated man.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you try changing your pads? and it didnt go away either?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No i haven't changed the pads yet, i was planning on doing it later today or tomorrow. i'm not really sure its the pads though. Nothing changed after you changed them?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the sound went away, it was the brakes, dropped off the car at a local shop to change the pads, because im a noob and didnt have time to figure it out, but later after pads were changed i still heard the sound and checked the rear and the pads were still the old ones and he only did the front, got the rears switched today and the sound is gone

Very happy

·
X-Box Tag: bjsecoy
1,244 Posts
That sound you heard is call a wear indicator. It signals you that you need to change your pads because they are low. Almost every car has them now.

Because knowing is half the battle.....

·
Tranceporter
411 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm having the same problem hearing the same squeak from my rear right wheel, all my pads are new and i was thinking that would solve the problem after the pads were changed it seemed better and then it started again.

i hear it as i start to accelerate or if I'm rolling, it stops if i even lightly touch the brakes.

so what can it be making this noise ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts