Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be buying an 04 rsx type-s within the next few months, and i was wondering whether i should buy a sri or a cai. i want to go with injen either way, but im not sure which one to get. i like the cai b/c of the better power gains, but i want the sri b/c it is easier to install, and no risk of hydrolocking. also, which one is louder? can anyone help me out?
-ryan

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I've heard that the Short ram's are louder. Gains are definately better with the CAI, and the risk of hydrolocking is very low as long as you watch what you are doing. Unless you live in a flood zone I say go for the CAI.

·
i-VTEC, Do you?
973 Posts
If you're that afraid of hydrolock and you want a simple install, go AEM V2. I know you said you want injen, but the gains show very very similar to the CAI, it sounds sweet, the install is cake, and it's dead sexy. Downside is people will always claim that heatsoak effects it (barely at all, you'd have to understand how ti works to know why) but if you were thinking SRI, the heatsoak would be worse.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
RyuRSX said:
If you're that afraid of hydrolock and you want a simple install, go AEM V2. I know you said you want injen, but the gains show very very similar to the CAI, it sounds sweet, the install is cake, and it's dead sexy.
None of the dynos of V2s were similar to a CAI. 1 was close, 2 didnt make any gains, several made 6 or 8 whp. Not very consistent. So to be realistic, V2 will make 8 or so whp on AVERAGE!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just not sure if i really wanna spend $260 for the V2 ya know? not sure if its really worth it. is it really that much better than the injen cai?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i think i will go with the injen cold air, or injen short ram, dont know which yet

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are lots of threads on this. u should search. i 've had both, and i like my CAI but the install was a pain since i'm new with cars. It was doable by someone new to cars but u have to think if the difference in power gains is worth the difference in price and the trouble of installation.the biggest factor is the install, cuz hydrolock wont happen unless u get it soaked.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea thats true, the only reason i wanted a sri was b/c it looks better, and is supposedly louder. b/c with the cai it makes it look so empty in there

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
04RSX said:
yea thats true, the only reason i wanted a sri was b/c it looks better, and is supposedly louder. b/c with the cai it makes it look so empty in there
Why do you care about looks on a performance part.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i've just installed my injen CAI a day ago, once you pass 6rpms the sound is bad ass. For the time and effort you take installing the CAI, once you get behind the wheel and punch you'll realize it was worth it. INJEN CAI all the way baby!

·
Registered
48 Posts
ive been a injen guy for some time but since my brother installed his AEM V2. I thinking of switching over. Hes been getting more power throughout the rpm range than my injen SRI.

so.....AEM V2 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i have the injen cai
itz good u can feel the power gain and torque startin at 4000rpm
it sounds good
i pick cai over v2 becuz better use for daily driving
dont be scare of hydrolock
just dont drive into big big puddles

·
123 Posts
If 04RSX wanted a SRI cause if the easy install, would a vented hood help out the engine compartment airflow?:dontknow:

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
It is not only the cold air, a very common misconception, that gives the CAI the advantage, its the difference in tube design between the SRI and CAI. The slightly longer tube of the CAI helps it perform better than a SRI.

·
28,748 Posts
holland said:
If 04RSX wanted a SRI cause if the easy install, would a vented hood help out the engine compartment airflow?:dontknow:
It would, but very minimally, and MmmotorNutz, the tube's design also helps. Plus, if you consider the price of an SRI + a vented hood its gonna cost a lot more than a CAI, or even a CAI installed at a shop or dealer, unless of course, you are getting a hood anyways.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts