Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new, I dont know much, but I have noticed that the Type-S and manual trans get more of a performance boost after modding, whereas automatic trans does not. So that led me to ponder the question:
Is it really worth it for us SS owners to do mods? I mean, if we only get 5hp gain avg from a CAI, then wats the point? Of course, coupling this mod with new exhaust, Hondata, and what-not will produce even more hp&torque , but I'm just wondering. What would it take for an RSX-SS to get at least 20more hp? or any significant gain in power for that matter.

I'm quite interested in modding my car same as the rest of you :) , but i really dont know if it will be money well spent. :confused: dunno.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mods for the SS

sithlord said:
Being new, I dont know much, but I have noticed that the Type-S and manual trans get more of a performance boost after modding, whereas automatic trans does not. So that led me to ponder the question:
Is it really worth it for us SS owners to do mods? I mean, if we only get 5hp gain avg from a CAI, then wats the point? Of course, coupling this mod with new exhaust, Hondata, and what-not will produce even more hp&torque , but I'm just wondering. What would it take for an RSX-SS to get at least 20more hp? or any significant gain in power for that matter.

I'm quite interested in modding my car same as the rest of you :) , but i really dont know if it will be money well spent. :confused: dunno.

Well it looks like this:

Injen CAI 5HP
DC Sports Header 4-2-1 + Magnaflow Exhaust 8HP
AEM Pulley Kit 5HP
Hondata + Gasket : 7300 rpm redline, Premium, Advanced timing... helps the mods + puts 2nd gear at a higher rpm from 1 - 2 which helps 0 - 60 times and overall 1/4 mile times.

I would say that should give you 18 ~ 20hp ... and according to the weight vs. wheel HP .. stock gives me 16.59 (pretty much right on the money, good equation) .. adding 20 WHP puts the car around 15.9.

I don't know about an AEM SRI... according to the dyno test.. it was rated 0 for performance. Sucking in too much heat.. especially if you're sitting in line waiting to race at the track.. major heat soak there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rsexypnoy said:
auto's got pulley too. And sithlord get a turbo if u want more than 20hp.
nah. thats too hardcore for me...tho i think i detect sarcasm, lol but w/e. Yeah. going from stock 160hp to at least 180 would make me very happy. Thanks for the mod suggestions guys. ...now to work my credit card. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
with all those mods you may be lucky to hit 160whp.......the base makes 140 roughly stock.....so the is no way you will get to 180.....unless you go turbo or supercharger.........a highly modded type-s will run around 190 - 200 whp.........and they start with 40 more whp supposedly.......i dunno.......My SRI and ehaust is all i'm willing to do......the auto wont yeild that kind of power........kinda sucks.......i was bumed about it for a while.......sorry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gecko69 said:
with all those mods you may be lucky to hit 160whp.......the base makes 140 roughly stock.....so the is no way you will get to 180.....unless you go turbo or supercharger.........a highly modded type-s will run around 190 - 200 whp.........and they start with 40 more whp supposedly.......i dunno.......My SRI and ehaust is all i'm willing to do......the auto wont yeild that kind of power........kinda sucks.......i was bumed about it for a while.......sorry
:( now that is a little depressing. I wonder y is it that auto trans cant achieve same level of power as a manual from same mods? hmm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
whp vs fhp

Gecko69 said:
I think he meant 160 fhp to180 fhp ;) not whp you should get about 150 ~ 155 hp whp with those mods... base dynos in @ 135hp on average.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
No its not worth it to mod on performance, but its worth to mod on SHOW modifications.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
NightShift said:
I think he meant 160 fhp to180 fhp ;) not whp you should get about 150 ~ 155 hp whp with those mods... base dynos in @ 135hp on average.
Sorry to ask but when u guys say the base dynos 135WHP , where do you guys get this from ? is their a website where they post WHP dyno on 5 speed ? or is it because someone claim to get that much but dont have proof to back it up.

I was at cybernation november a base auto dynoed right after me and with an Injen SRI and Greddy EVO he got 124WHP with those 2 mods.

6,327 Posts
sithlord said:

NNNNNNNAAAAAWWWWWWWSSSS!!!!!..50 HP ON TAP BABY.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blah. so its either the turbo or nos for major pwr gains. sigh. i think ill spend my $$ all on the style mods.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
So has anyone found any concrete proof that a base rsx dynos at 135WHP stock ?

sithlord go for looks your money will be will spent and u will get notice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah...im starting to lean in that direction too.
i guess my $$ spent on intake, pulleys, exhaust, and headers would be better spent on style since i wont really be feeling much difference in engine performance.

:D my first mods for March: redout taillights and tint! followed by Greddy Lip. wewt. thanks for pointing me in right direction guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I stopped at the intake and exhaust for my first phase of mods.
I "may" get the hondata but I hear its not really gonna do squat for me..

I'll just stick with "show mods" . maybe a body kit followed by replacing plug wires and doing some minor mods here and there.

imo adding an intake and exhaust is a good show mod. makes your car sound a hell of a lot better. Depending on the exhaust will look better also. Its nice knowing that you actually did "something" for performance to your car..ya know? even if your not gonna spank every ricer that pulls up to a red light :0
Ive got some major compliments on mine since yesterday and ..well its a good feeling

·
Registered
214 Posts
duck..that ride is seriously sick

1 - 20 of 35 Posts