Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah thats what Im worried about, clubrsx recommends them but then others say the opposite...it gets me pretty worried. So does everyone agree that the Exedy stage 1 is good though?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I dont know really, Ive never had a stock clutch in the type-s but it seems like very few people on here replace theirs with another OE clutch. I just want whats best for the car, but I dont want a boring clutch with no grip either.

·
iVTEC4LIFE
486 Posts
Ok, look. People are going to say "exedy sucks" or "competion clutch sucks" or "spec sucks" or whatever. While the one guy here had some really bad luck with his CC, there are plenty of people who love them. And it goes the other way as well.

Bottom line, buy what's right for you. You may be stock now thru 2012, but if you do mod then upgrading your clutch now will just be plain smart. I'm only running a CAI but I know later on I'll be making more power. The upgraded clutch now saves me headaches later.

My advice: buy the best you can afford and is practical for your future power goals.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah I know what youre saying, its just annoying when Im looking for a straight recommendation and everyone says something different. I ended up calling the guys at clubrsx.com and they said that there is not really a big difference between an OE clutch, a stage 1 or a stage 1.5. And they recommended the OE Competition Clutch because my car is pretty much gonna be a DD forever. There is just so much biased crap on the forums that is almost completely useless to ask people what they think would be a good setup.

·
iVTEC4LIFE
486 Posts
Yes, I agree. There's a lot of bias and such around here. You learn who to ask and how to ask your questions.

Good call on talking with CRSX. I emailed them awhile back and basically verified my decision to get the CC1.5 and 11.5lb fly. My RSX-S is also my DD but I'm upgrading in a way so I can really enjoy the full potential of my K20Z1.

Anyway, good luck. If you do the clutch job yourself, there is an excellent walkthruin the DIY forum.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah I was gonna go with that combo, but I dont plan on modding my car or anything so I figured it would be overkill. Plus saving money is always a plus on a tight college budget.

·
iVTEC4LIFE
486 Posts
Haha!! I start installing my clutch, fly, LSD tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My stage 2 competion clutch +ultra lightweight fly wheel seems to be going out . Going to the dealer just checking it is . Might be tps , air filter , iacv etc . Ima go chrck it out . Had this combo for about 10k miles or so . Smelling the clutch as I put gas . Unless its gas not clutch im smelling . Just having wierd idle issues as I accelerate . Anyone knoe anything lmk thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stick with OEM and drive normal, any stage clutch is just a way to spend more and get less miles out of it.

I had a Competition Clutch Stage 1.5 die yesterday, one of the springs had popped out and gouged the flywheel, and the friction disc was frayed and separating apart. It only had 60,000 miles on it, my stock clutch made it to 120,000.

Very little abuse, 90% granny shifts. I can't recommend Competition Clutch for daily drivers unless you want to throw away your money!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts