Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 ep3 k20a3 I/H/E jut had K-Pro installed and dyno tuned and it runs great.
Except for the fact that after I fuel up I start the car and it kicks over but won't hold idle and stalls out. I can feather the gas and clutch and get moving. Once I get into second gear it's fine. When I come to a stop it's fine.
Just after I put the gas in and start my engine it stalls.
Has anyone had this problem and what is the solution.
Thanks in advance ep3 fam.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bump on this!

I'm also having this problem. It came on couple of days ago. I cleared the code and a day later(today), CEL came on again same 90-2 P1457 code.

Last Sunday I installed Kpro. No problems whatsoever. Wednesday I filled up the tank. Thursday, CEL came on. I reset it and didn't do anything else. Friday night, CEL came back on again. I tightened the gas cap which is the easiest thing to do for now then cleared the code again. I'll see if CEL comes back on again.

I hope I still pass emissions if I just clear the code and set readiness before I get it tested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump on this!

I'm also having this problem. It came on couple of days ago. I cleared the code and a day later(today), CEL came on again same 90-2 P1457 code.

Last Sunday I installed Kpro. No problems whatsoever. Wednesday I filled up the tank. Thursday, CEL came on. I reset it and didn't do anything else. Friday night, CEL came back on again. I tightened the gas cap which is the easiest thing to do for now then cleared the code again. I'll see if CEL comes back on again.

I hope I still pass emissions if I just clear the code and set readiness before I get it tested.
Doe's your car not want to stay started after you fill up with gas?
Did you overfill your gas tank?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car still starts and drives fine. The engine behaves the same. If the CEL comes back on I'm taking it to my mechanic.

And no I don't think I overfilled it. I do the same thing every fill up. Just pump gas until it stops.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car still starts and drives fine. The engine behaves the same. If the CEL comes back on I'm taking it to my mechanic.

And no I don't think I overfilled it. I do the same thing every fill up. Just pump gas until it stops.
If you have to go to the mechanic please let me know what his findings are. Thank you and good luck.

...and any help on why my car stalls out after filling up with gas would be helpful...anyone...please and thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem as you actually. My bypass was bad and there was fuel in the lines to the canister. I replaced the bypass, canister, and vent valve and I'm still having the code come on. I also leak tested the car and got nothing. My purge valve seems to be working, as it turns on and off, but Honda told me that was the issue. I'm slightly skeptical of Honda because the tech seemed to know as much info as I did and didn't want to do more diag work on the car without charging me more. (I'm a Hyundai technician) I'm thinking it may be the Fuel Tank O-Ring, but I am going to do more diag next week.

see this:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=833185

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having the same exact problem as you actually. My bypass was bad and there was fuel in the lines to the canister. I replaced the bypass, canister, and vent valve and I'm still having the code come on. I also leak tested the car and got nothing. My purge valve seems to be working, as it turns on and off, but Honda told me that was the issue. I'm slightly skeptical of Honda because the tech seemed to know as much info as I did and didn't want to do more diag work on the car without charging me more. (I'm a Hyundai technician) I'm thinking it may be the Fuel Tank O-Ring, but I am going to do more diag next week.

see this:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=833185
Thanks, please keep me posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pretty sure it's the purge valve being energized all the time, I'm going to be replacing it in a few weeks once I have the cash. From what I understand, if the purge is stuck open or energized all the time you will be sucking in fumes after you fill up your gas tank. This will then cause the car to stall due to a bad fuel to O2 mixture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well my purge valve was bad, but it did not fix the issue.

I could tell the purge valve was bad because, when the car is running, if I covered the purge valve intake with my thumb the car would stall out. With a good purge valve, it shouldn't stall out.

I'm 100% sure it's my "fuel tank vapor control valve" because I just read in the service manual, if you find fuel in your 2 way bypass lines after filling up that you should replace the valve. I'll order it up tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

(I am not 100% sure this is your issue or fix, just 100% sure it'll fix my problem)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds right, keep me posted please. This is from Honda's TSB 08-016:

MIL Comes On With DTC P1457
SYMPTOM
The MIL comes on with DTC P1457 (EVAP control
system leakage).
PROBABLE CAUSE
The EVAP solenoid valve (fuel vent module) is blocked
or restricted.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Install an EVAP solenoid valve kit.
PARTS INFORMATION
EVAP Solenoid Valve (Fuel Vent Module) Kit:
Civic – P/N 06172-S5A-305, H/C 8808198
(Includes valve, fuel vent tubes A and B, pressure
sensor tubes A and B, and 3-way joint)

·
Registered
163 Posts
So I went to my mechanic and he said that it's the vent shut valve. He didn't even blink an eye and he knew right away when I told him the code I'm having.

Turns out it's a pretty common problem. We lifted the car up then he showed me the valve and it looks really bad, rusty. I just ordered the part online and hoping to get it installed sometime this week. I hope he's right and there's no other problem with the car. I will update you again soon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went to my mechanic and he said that it's the vent shut valve. He didn't even blink an eye and he knew right away when I told him the code I'm having.

Turns out it's a pretty common problem. We lifted the car up then he showed me the valve and it looks really bad, rusty. I just ordered the part online and hoping to get it installed sometime this week. I hope he's right and there's no other problem with the car. I will update you again soon.
Thanks, let me know if it solves the stalling after gas fill up problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you fix your problem yet? Hopefully you haven't been filling you tank up till the pump clicks, if so it is possible you are putting fuel through your evap system if it is the fuel tank vapor control valve.

I just installed the "fuel tank vapor control valve" or "VALVE ASSY., VENT (ORVR)" (17555-S5A-A31). This is not the "vent valve" that is attached to the canister. This sits right on top of the fuel tank after the ORVR valve. I had to drop the tank to do this, luckily I was able to do it at the shop I work at. So far I have had no P1457 code or pending code with about 50 miles, I am using a scan too the check. I put about five gallons of gas in after the install and the car went to stall out but didn't and just went back to normal idle after a few seconds.

I've also been throwing a P0505 since I last posted. I cleaned the IAC so hopefully that helps. I don't know if the P0505 was caused by the P1457 issues I'm having or part of the stalling out after getting gas or if it was just dirty.

Thanks, let me know if it solves the stalling after gas fill up problem. Good luck.
Normally bad vent valves don't cause a car to stall after filling up, but I'm not saying it's not the cause. Normally a purge valve or a stuck ORVR valve is the culprit for a car that stalls after filling up with gas. Also overfilling the tank will cause the car to stall too, as you are basically flooding your system with fuel vapor. This is from what I've seen with working on cars with a less complicated evap system then Honda.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I listened to the TSB from Honda and replaced the EVAP Solenoid Valve (Fuel Vent Module) Kit:
Civic – P/N 06172-S5A-305, H/C 8808198 and still have the P1457 code coming up. I'm told I should've changed the "SHUT VALVE" vent shut valve 17310-s5a-l31. So I will replace the "SHUT VALVE" to fix the P1457 DTC. AND then my mechanic said the PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID(36162-PNC-005) is the culprit behind the stalling out after filling up issue. So I will do that and see what happens.

Please keep me posted with your issues as well...thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
?

any updates??? my car stalls also after filling up . I also get the evap code every now and then. I changed the valve attached to the canister , all the hoses that go to the canister , also under the hood I changed everything recommended for that, exept the service port valve (green plastic thing). I still have the problem, it stalls:firemad:

·
Registered
96 Posts
didn't work

I changed 36162-PNC-005(purge control solenoid), the evap canister vent shut valve and the hoses attached to them. Still stalling after fill up, code rarely comes back now only sometimes after the " fill-up issue"
:deadhorse ahhh every time I put gas basically peeling out is the only option, let those revs fall and it stalls :thumbsdow

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Change out:
PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID
(36162-PNC-005)
at the throttle body
OR:
eliminate/close off with a bung cap.
I have K-Pro and unticked purge and capped off and now no more stalling at the gas pumps.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts