Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but found nothing like the problem i am having.

So i get into my car this morning and it go to crank it and all i get is this noise as if the starter is spinning and making a metal clinging/griding noise and no turnover..

the car has 62,000 miles, fidanza flywheel and a spec clutch which has only been installed for about 7,000 miles. any ideas? if you need more info let me know.

G

·
It's not the starter, it's your flywheel. The teeth are damaged. Sorry to hear that; it means the tranny is coming back out. Good luck for a speedy fix.

G

·
Let me amend that statement: It COULD be just your starter (if the mounting bolts were loose, perhaps...), but more than likely not. Does you flywheel use Alu gear teeth, or steel? I'm not familiar with Fidanza.

G

·
Hmmm... Did you do the install, yourself? I haven't changed starters on a K20 yet, but do know that GM's I have worked on in the past can be fussy about starter-to-flywheel gear clearance. What basically happens is that the the starter gear wears down the flywheel teeth to the point that it no longer engages on startup. I'm not saying that's the case here, but the symptoms sound like it.

If this were my car, I would unbolt the flywheel inspection cover and look at the flywheel teeth. If they are excessively worn, you'll know right away. Good luck.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
There could be internal failure of the starter motor, the rotor turns from the electrical current, but the gears and over-running clutch could be just grinding inside without turning the pinion on the flywheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was odd, a couple nights ago i was in daytona doin some burnouts in the parking lot of the hotel, when a few buddies noticed a fe minor sparks coming from under the drivers side. the next day starting seemed fine, just a light rattle here and there that was new, but hey the car has made all kinds of noises after the first 100 miles. so i was heading home about 250 miles away, with 2 gas stops, and the car started up just fine. after that the last stretch of road was about 120 miles and went home and went to start it up and nothing, just that noise, after repeated times starting it.

G

·
I wonder if you sheared some teeth off the flywheel? Abusive driving (sorry, that's you) can do that. Perhaps you lucked out and just weren't on a bad spot on the flywheel up until this point, so it caught OK. Now, it just ended up on a spot with no teeth.

I would still jack up the car, pull the inspection cover, and crank the motor through one full revolution to inspect the whole circumference. You will know immediately. If the flywheel looks OK, the you know it's the starter (hopefully....)

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
If it's just a bad spot on the flywheel, you can check by putting the car in gear and giving it a push to move the flywheel to a different spot, then hit the ignition, see what happens.

G

·
That's a good question and may mean nothing in this case. It seems like everyone I know who does lots of burn-outs and other reckless stuff breaks parts that those among us who drive normally don't. "Sparks flying out"??? The car is falling apart on its own or due to install issues and driving habits? I am making no value judgements against the OP, since I used to drive like this, but I just remember how many parts I broke by being a dumb-ass behind the wheel. That's all I'm saying. I just hope it's the starter, not the flywheel.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
either yer flywheel teeth are fucked or yer starter solenoid isn't pushing the starter motor to engage the flywheel fully.

·
Average Member
1,149 Posts
Take out the assembly and bring it to an auto zone and they'll check it for you. Could it be that the bendex (sp?) is damaged? It seems like the flywheel is the obvious problem since you just installed this new one, but then again 7k miles is quite a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
allright, i got it. so i pull off the inspection plate, turn the motor inspect the teeth and everything is good. so then i go ahead and start pulling off the supercharger and all that fun stuff and then pull out the starter and hmm everything is good up here... next i stick my finger inside the hole for the starter and spin the flywheel.. interesting, the gears spin and the rest does not. basically the flywheel is a 2 piece where its aluminum with a steel ring with the teeth around the end of it and they are not attached anymore. its a fidanza flywheel in case you are wondering so now the tranny has to come out. but heyy i look at i8t this way, i get to put in a LSD this time around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts