Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
03 RSX type SC
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having the seemingly common "noise during startup issue" for a while, and now that the temps are freezing cold it's become quite consistent. I've been holding off dealing with the issue because accessing the starter requires removing the intake manifold (or in my case, supercharger), but a few days ago i went ahead and pulled the starter and decided to do a little exploratory surgery to identify what's hanging it up...

long story short, i completely disassembled the starter and cleaned and regreased everything. i didnt think to take any photos, but it's pretty straightforward if you pay attention to how it comes apart (maybe take some photos). the whole "rebuild" process took less than an hour.

end result was no more noise, which was likely a cause of the starter gear not making full engagement with the flywheel ring gear, or not retracting when it should.

here's some tips:
  • i polished the armature area where the commutator brushes ride with some red scotchbrite, the brushes looked fine and difficult to clean
  • make sure to use a good screwdriver on the two little phillips screws, and use a hammer to seat the bit firmly before trying to loosen (you only get one shot or you'll strip the head)
  • separating the end of the starter that provides access to the sliding pinion gear and lever is a bit tricky. tapping the steel starter body at an angle seemed to do the trick. when it finally did come apart, there was a considerable amount of wear debris in that cavity, and i'm 99% sure that area was the source of the binding
  • clean everything thoroughly with brakeclean and then re-lube (i used a some moly disulphide engine assembly prelube)

merry xmas and good luck, and post some photos if you go for it!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have an ancient armature turner that cuts and polishes. Thanks for this post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts