Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, looking to potentially open a bikini barista drive thru coffee shop in the Bay Area. Specifically the east or south bay. The concept is nothing new, Seattle has been doing this for a while now and most if not all of us are aware/frequent the Vietnamese coffee shops (scantily clad women in lingerie/bikinis serving coffee and what not inside the coffee shop). The thought of opening one has crossed my mind for years, just never truly entertained the idea. There is The Heart Cafe in Newark, (Vietnamese coffee shop but a bit less naughty/more conservative than the typical Viet coffee shop variety) and Your Coffee Cups in Fremont which is a bikini barista drive thru joint in the Warm Springs district. Not sure how bout of these establishments are profiting but I wish them both the best. Anyways so here is what I would like feedback on, your responses are greatly appreciated. I am planning on a bikini barista drive thru establishment serving coffee, tea, and some baked good. Possible sandwiches as well. Here is where Id like some feedback.

1. Where in the East or South bay would you like this shop to be? Please be specific ie. Fremont/Newark/Union City/Hayward, Milpitas, etc?

2. What ethnicity of girls would you like to see working at the place? Asian, Caucasian, Latina, African American? Or maybe a variety of girls?

3. What would you like to see on the menu besides coffee? tea? baked goods, sandwiches? Green waffles?

4. How much do you think is a fair price (for you to save and for me to profit) for a cup of Joe? tea? baked good such as Vietnamese green waffle? A turkey/ham sandwich (slider style;quantity x3).

5. What type of attire would you like to see the baristas wearing? Bikini, lingerie, costumes? We can have the theme days ie. Military Monday, Treasure Tuesday, etc., most shops incorporate this as part of the novelty.

6. What colors would you like to see the shop painted in? Pink, purple, green, yellow, etc?

7. Would you like outdoor seating?

*Thats what I can think of for now, more questions can be asked later. Once again I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well first off you need to look at where you plan on getting your establishment and if your business will be successful. You always want to figure out who your demographic is and how you are going to market to them. Considering i just did a project on the two things your establishing this on(1 the business itself and 2 a menu) for my Culinary School. I would tell you to not consider it unless you have a fairly good business proposal or lots of money. When you get into food cost it can easily end up being anywhere from 10-30% of your budget depending on what you choose to be on the menu and more importantly the produce/supplies. Staff is another 30% and then Rent and utilities can vary. From there you can create and price your menu. If you were to cater to peoples budget than more than likely your "cafe" if you will more than likely won't succeed. No one goes to a those places for the drinks or food. Cafe Lu is a prime example its the females that bring the customers. So with that in mind you need to be mindful of local business and the community.

So to sum it up:
Find a place and cost out the rent for a year
Create a mock menu and survey friends and family and see what appeals and what doesn't
Talk to local suppliers for food cost
Calculate a mock supply list from like Crate & Barrel
Figure out what you'll need in terms of staff

Good luck...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sleepyD, appreciate the information and will take it to heart. I will also seek a friend/family member who is more experienced in this type of thing for a business plan, project study, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts