Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while and theres alot of good info on this forum, so I'm hoping yal can help sort out my issue. My wife drives a 2002 RSX and love its!! Loves it soo much that even though it's about to roll 200k miles, she still wants to keep driving it. Well, about 2 months ago, it started having starting issues. In the morning, it would be slow to crank, but eventually start. So, I went by Autozone and had them test the system, and everything checked out fine. Well, a few weeks later, my wife called and I had to go jump her car at work. So, went back to Autozone and had them check the system, and everything checked out fine again. So, about a week later, it happened again. So, I finally replaced the battery. BUUUUT, she is still having the slow crank issue. It's getting worse and worse. Does that point to the starter? I don't want to leave her stranded, but I hate throwing parts at the car when I'm not sure. I took a video this morning, and will upload it this afternoon, but what are yals initial thoughts?

Of note, this start issue seems to be completely random. Sometimes it does it when the car has been sitting over night. Sometimes it does it when she turns it off, runs in for coffee, and then comes back out. So, engine temperature doesn't seem to be a factor, neither does outside temperature. I guess intermittent would be the best way to describe it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or you could try a new wife.
haha, nah she's a good'n I think I'll hold on to er...as far as the RSX...he keeps giving her problems...which turn into my problems; she drove around this afternoon with no complaints of starting issues...so now I'm not sure if the starter is the actual issue...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i don't like to just buy things either. I'd still lean to the starter as the commutator can develop bad spots that when the starter stops in those areas it doesn't work. Then you wait or hit it and it works. You don't have a start/no start situation, but. I wonder if these are early symptoms. Most of the other considerations wouldn't be sporadic in nature, but at 200k there should be a few things popping up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this whole week my wife has only had 1 or 2 starting issues, and going back and forth to work she has started it over a dozen times....so I don't know what's going on

another electrical issue we're having is that the locks don't always lock; normally when pressing the lock button on the FOB, the doors lock, then the horn beeps and the lights flash; lately that hasn't been working; it will only lock the passenger side and rear hatch, and not the drivers door; some times it works, some times it doesn't....would that be of any relation to the starter issue, which I presume is electrical due to it being intermittent...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd still lean to the starter as the commutator can develop bad spots that when the starter stops in those areas it doesn't work. Then you wait or hit it and it works.
This is my initial thought ^

Slow crank is usually a weak battery or poor ground, but a random no crank is commonly the contacts on the starter. I'm not 100% sure on the RSX, but I have rebuilt other Honda starters with new contacts. It could also be your alternator not charging the battery enough, leading to random slow cranks.

If you can post a video of it happening, that might help.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Try swapping the under hood starter cutout relay. If no change, then the starter provided you trust the initial battery test and good grounds

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is that relay? on the starter? and from my experience relays either work or don't work...they usually work like they are supposed to all the time, or not at all...not really intermittently...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy crap this is craziness...there has to be an electrical gremlin hiding in my wife's car!!! the last few days the car has started up no problem, and the temperature here in South GA has been all over the place; it started up this morning when it was about 40 out with no problems, and the other day it was around 75 and it started no problem...what the heck is going on?!?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, for anyone following this thread...I'm still having issues. I have noticed over the last few weeks that the cold weather effects it more. When it's warm out here in GA it is fine, but in KY it was cold and barely started. Again, brand new battery about 2 months ago, so that shouldn't be the issue. And it's still starting, so alternator shouldn't be issue. It's like the starter just doesn't want to turn when its cold, or sometimes just randomly...I don't get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
owned the car over 2 years now; no starter issues until a couple months ago; bought the car with 155k and now has 201k, and I have no idea if the starter has been replaced prior to owning the car

·
Premium Member
145,086,055 Posts
Might be worth it in this case to get it changed out. I don't think that it would be the original starter that came on the car, but it would still be worth that extra peace of mind

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anyone still following this, my starter issues have vanished. For about the last 2 months, it has started up great without issue. Even if I have the AC on, it starts right up, just after 1 or 2 cranks. So, I'm not sure what was going on, but the electrical gremlins seemed to have gone back into hiding...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starter issues

This is my 1st time on the thread line, even though I've been registered since 2006. My rsx is going on 15 yrs from 2004 at appx 137000 km 2day.
Reading thru your started issues, I have also gone thru some minor DIY issues. I'am going to go straight to the started replacement, but I'll ask my mechanic to do all those checks from all the replies that I've read. Will keep the thread updated 2 follow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starter Resolved

I just told my mechanic to replace the starter. Knowing that it was the starter there are no more issues with the start up. I sourced out the part at The part Source for 240 taxes included. But my mechanic charged me total install at 650 taxes in. Should have bought the part myself and just have him and pay the labour costs. I called acura brampton they wanted 950 and downtown acura wanted 1050 for the same item..If you know the solution buy it and just have them install it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts