Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I recently installed tein flex on my 02 type-s from Mugen SS. One thing my mechanic and I noticed is that the steering appears to be off-center. For example, when the steering wheel is centered - both front tires point left. I believe the steering wheel is centered because with the car lifted; I can turn almost equally in both directions...

I skipped a curb once at slow speeds (5mph) and the steering wheel jerked, but I didn't see any visible damage and the car still went straight. But for some reason - once I installed tein flex, the wheel being off center became very apparent.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
-Aaron

·
Engineering
25,578 Posts
did you get an alignment right after you installed the flex? if you didn't, you and your mechanic are morons

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
For example, when the steering wheel is centered - both front tires point left. I believe the steering wheel is centered because with the car lifted; I can turn almost equally in both directions...
You're contradicting yourself here.... is your wheel centered or not? How much you can turn in each direction is a pretty flakey way of determining that your wheel is centered.

Anyways, the steering wheel can be adjusted without doing a full alignment. I've had this problem before. Also, you should do an alignment after installing new suspension regardless.

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
69 Posts
^I'm with the rest. If the alignment shop performed the alignment with your steering wheel off center, then this would happen (happens to me a lot). Just take the car back and kindly ask them to re-align with the steering wheel centered.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I do alignments all day 5 days a week and I know this suspension pretty good. Just like all other cars the tie rods adjust the toe angle in the front. Before you adjust this angle you straighten the steering wheel inside the car then adjust each wheel independently. Anyone who does alignments knows this. Find a new mechanic and get your alignment done and I promise you if they do it correctly it will be perfectly center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No - it's not the mechanic or the alignment job. Everyone in So Cal knows or has heard of Darrin at Westend Alignment. Enough said...

I had my subframe removed several years back when I had my LSD installed, and have heard that maybe it wasn't centered correctly when re-installed to the frame. I've been told that even a small difference can make it appear that the steering is off-center, when in fact the steering is actually centered...

Another issue is probably the J's roll center adjusters I had installed along with the Tein Flex... although it helped with roll center, it probably threw off the geometry a little bit in other ways... Which begs the question: has anyone else had roll centers installed? Personally, I love em. However, just wondering if anyone else came across similar issues.

And as much as I love reading replys from people that have absolutely no idea of what they're talking about :stfu: - I'm hoping to get some feedback from people that either have had the RCAs installed or have had their subframe removed...:pray:

Thanks

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
IMO you've gotten the correct answer from quite a few people in this thread. ie Your toe was adjusted without the steering wheel being centered.

If your mechanic is so good then I suggest you go back to him and stop asking people on an internet forum since we obviously don't know anything.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the rack is not where it is supposed to be then that could be causing your problem also. But the thing is if your alignment is done correctly then your steering wheel will be lined up with your wheels no matter what other problems you have. I am sorry if I sound cocky or like a jerk or whatever, its just I do this all day and I am only trying to help, other wise I wouldnt have posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vtec, I should have mentioned that I've gone back and believe me, it has nothing to do about the toe being set with the steering wheel being off centered. Secondly, what did I just ask? I said I'd like your thoughts if you ever had your subframe removed and/or RCAs installed. Every car has its small nuiances that even the best (or worst) mechanic may not necessarily know about. Isn't that what forums are for?

RSXer

I was thinking the same thing - maybe the steering rack is off-center, but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the mounts/brackets. So either something internal or again maybe the slightly off-center sub frame... I really appreciate your post :thumbsup:

·
HPDE'er
1,459 Posts
Me and a friend of mine both have RCAs installed (Todds/J's) and have had the subframe off multiple times. Both of our car's have centered steering wheels.

Is there any damage/scrapes on your subframe from when you hopped the curb? Slightly bent tie rods perhaps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Subframe never touched the curb- it was just the wheel. Hmm, must be something within the rack and pinion maybe... but thanks for the info.

Tie rod ends look good to me. By the way, have you guys tried the inverted tie rods by J's racing?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
OK...........You still havnt answered the question about having an alignment done after the install of your suspension. The Tein Flex(just like almost all aftermarket suspension) changes the height of your car, which in turn changes the camber on your car. Quick question....what does camber effect? If you said "TOE" you just won a million dollars. (Call 757-3825-633 to recieve your money). Which part of an alignment effects steering center position? Right again. Toe.

If your subframe was removed, yes this can cause a camber and caster issue that would effect your toe and your steering wheel being offcenter, but it would not just magically appear after having suspension install. Hopefully you got the pillowball mounts, so adjusting the camber should be easy.

As for the extended balljoints...I think the idea is great. I plan on purchasing them (someday) but knowing full well that they are changing suspension angles, which changes alignment, i will perform an alignment on my car after the installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I just called the # so where's my $$$??? :)

Of course an alignment was done after the install. It was actually done twice. And caster is close to factory spec on both sides so no issues there... Flex comes standard with upper pillowball mounts so camber adjustment is simple.

As for the extended ball joints - they're an awesome addition and you're gonna love em.

·
HPDE'er
1,459 Posts
Subframe never touched the curb- it was just the wheel. Hmm, must be something within the rack and pinion maybe... but thanks for the info.

Tie rod ends look good to me. By the way, have you guys tried the inverted tie rods by J's racing?
As far as I know, J's doesn't have inverted tie rod ends? I do know they have shortened tie rods though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts