Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit over 3 weeks ago I was in an accident in my 03 RSX-S with 43k miles. Some woman driving beside me rammed me for no apparent reason and knocked my car on top of a curb. After the accident I couldn't steer the car, and it had to be towed. Before the accident there were absolutely no steering related problems.

I got the car back thursday the 15th and there was a significant amount of play in the steering. When the steering would catch it would make a small clicking sound. There's varying difficulty in moving the steering wheel and it makes clicking noises all while turning the wheel. Driving on the highway the car will drift in random directions (most of the time to the right, though). The car basically drove like garbage. Obviously I took it back the very next day and I got excuses varying from "normal" to "not accident related", both of which are dumb. I called up the lady's insurance company (State Farm) and explained the situation. They got in contact with the body shop (this is an Acura Dealer's bodyshop, by the way) and this morning I got a rental and got the car back to the shop with a small amount of difficulty (they still seemed to want to refuse the problem, but got over it after I mentioned that state farm is more than willing to pay and I can always take it somewhere else).

Suspension parts that were replaced according to the invoice:
Right Front Strut
Right Front Knuckle
Right Tie Rod (I'm assuming this includes the tie rod end and ball joint??)
Front Sway
Right Front Hub
Right front wheel bearing
Right Front Wheel

There is no play in either tie rod end or ball joint. I'm a little concerned with the shop's ability to solve the problem. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their steering and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,

Simon

·
Weightlifting Master
3,311 Posts
Was it re-aligned after the body shop got done with it? If not try that before ordering anymore parts and if it has been aligned already then I would agree with jeff about it being the steering rack since they replaced the tie rods- inner (which is the arm) and outer (which is the ball joint).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ya i was thinking alignment as well, but that seems like common sense after doing all that suspension work. Besides, that would not cause the clicking sound he is refering to. Could quite possibly be a combination of both.:dontknow:

·
Hi there
696 Posts
So let me try to get a picture. You got hit on your right front (passenger front) and it threw you up onto a curb. Did the left side get thrown up on the curb? Cause if so you might have something bent in the left front.

I would tell them to start there and if everything seems to be ok. Check the subframe for damage. A bent subframe can cause huge alignment problems and thats probably where you problem is, along with a bad power steering rack. There are really so many things that can be wrong. Hopefully it all works out for ya

·
Weightlifting Master
3,311 Posts
Ya i was thinking alignment as well, but that seems like common sense after doing all that suspension work. Besides, that would not cause the clicking sound he is refering to. Could quite possibly be a combination of both.:dontknow:
Yeah I wasn't referring the alignment to his clicking noise but I saw that he said "driving on the highway the car will drift in random directions"

So that to me sounds like something to do with maybe a little bit of toe being out past 0. Alignment would be a good idea if it hasn't already been done, if it has then check your tire pressures to make sure they are even (one side overinflated and one side underinflated can cause this). Also his LCA wasn't changed out or at least it wasn't included in his list which doesn't seem to make sense if they had to change all that other stuff, maybe the LCA is damaged or the bushing is done for.. Just some more things to consider

·
Weightlifting Master
3,311 Posts
So let me try to get a picture. You got hit on your right front (passenger front) and it threw you up onto a curb. Did the left side get thrown up on the curb? Cause if so you might have something bent in the left front.

I would tell them to start there and if everything seems to be ok. Check the subframe for damage. A bent subframe can cause huge alignment problems and thats probably where you problem is, along with a bad power steering rack. There are really so many things that can be wrong. Hopefully it all works out for ya
:iamwiths: that too

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, the car was aligned after the accident. According to the shop it aligned fine but they didn't have the measurements to show me.

This is what happened. According to the shop (the tire shop that did the alignment as well as the body shop) the left side is fine. I also checked it out myself when I got the car back and everything looked alright on the left side.

Just a little info I left out in my first post. If you move the steering wheel within the play area, both tie rods will not move at all. If you jack the car up and try to jiggle the wheels, there is absolutely no play. This almost leads me to believe that it's the steering column, but I don't understand how that could've been damaged from the accident.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep you guys updated as I hear back from the shop.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got a call from the shop and they're replacing the steering rack. Should be done by friday, hopefully that will solve the problem. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts