Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel is all shiny and kinda greasy. I haven't put any leather treatment on it or anything, but kinda feels that way. What's the best thing to use to get some of the oils off it? I was thinking of maybe putting a little talcom powder on it, then wiping it off?

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like to use leather wipes...it does the trick for me

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
I use meguire's gold class leather cleaner that i use on my seats.. then i put the 2nd bottle [conditioner] on it.. and put the heat on high and close the doors.. let the heat take care of drying all of it up =/

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used to use Gold Class leather cleaner myself, but I've read that people who were using Meguiars was causing their leather to crack so I switched to Mothers

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
the leather is shit and will crack whether or not it is conditioned. i have given up on worrying about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard Lexol is the best but I can't find it anywhere near me. I've got the Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner (haven't tried it yet) but I'm a fan of Mother's products.

What do you all recommend and why?

·
"Ethical" Hacker
1,340 Posts
smeadows71, where in mass. you from? i can reliably find Lexol at the local Pep Boys...

i've never really worried about cleaning/conditioning the steering wheel tho, guess i should take a closer look at it some time... :nervous:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
You really shouldn't use any types of "shine" products on your steering wheel. This will cause it to be slippery and that can spell bad news.

As for removing grease from the steering wheel. I would just take a damp rag and rub it down. I don't know of any particular solvents that would be safe to use on that surface. You might want to try Lexol's leather cleaner, but I am not completely sure it won't leave behind a sheen. My guess is that it wouldn't.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I curently do not have an rsx but plan on getting one in the near future, my girlfriend's car has a light colored interior along with a tan/titanium steering wheel very similar to the RSX, and hers has grease marks like many of you have been talking about, i really like the desert sand metalic exterior, but it comes with the light interior, does anyone that has a light interior have any complaints about it showing dirt or anything. also i would like to know what people perfer, cloth or leather, does one feel better than the other or does the leather crack easily?

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
My Eternal Blue looks hot with the black leather interior. In terms of my own personal comfort level, I'd probably prefer the titanium cloth interior. Or just cloth period. I got the leather extra b/c I felt my car would seem "higher quality" with it and figured why not? But when I had a loner, it was a Tafetta White with the titanium cloth trim and it felt really comfortable. It didn't feel as "fancy", more "cozy", "snug" and "approachable". But I guess that depends on who you ask. :)

And yes, leather cracks...RSX leather is a bit subpar. My sister never once conditioned her leather seats in her Accord and she has zero cracks (she has 60k miles). I, however, have to make sure I do it every so often, and there are potential problem spots I'm keeping my eye on (I have 10k). One thing interesting I noticed about the loner was that the cloth came loose from the headrest, exposing some filling material. This seems to be common with the RSX's whether it's leather or cloth.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey thank you very much, i really like the Eternal blue, but my accord is black and living in houston it gets really hot, i was considering the blue but in pictures it looks really dark, do you have any complaints with it getting to hot or anything of that matter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts