Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never gotten any real profession pro or tutor teaching me how to drive a stick except for the sad fact of youtube and some online dummy pages. I've been driving my stick (RSX) for the pass 10 days already and so far haven't stalled since last week. It all starting to becoming a natural instinct now but I just need to clarify a few thing. I'm a lazy driver when i know i'm approaching a stop sign or a complete stop I clutch in and drop it into neutual and clutch out and let it roll. From what i heard it wears out the clutch a bit doing that right? But how badly will that wear out? When i stall in the middle of the road I get nervous as hell and just re-turn on the car with it in gear 1 by accident....how bad is that?? Also what rpm should I be changing gears on so that it doesn't put pressure on the engine?? I normally try to drive with the rpm between 2.5-3000. In traffic when driving in gear 1....its hard to keep the car steady....keeps jerking with every push/release of the pedal....u guys get that problem too or do i just really suck at driving? I usually try to put it in gear 2 if i can cuz its not as jerky in that gear. Finally when approaching a green light in gear 3 going at like 60km I slow down to like 20km to make a right turn keeping the gear in 3rd then just acelerate without downshifting to 2nd......is this bad for the tranny or engine acelerating at 20km in gear 3?? Any tips and comment is appreciate to help my RSX last longer :beerchug:

·
www.magtuning.com
23,940 Posts
Driving stick will become easier and easier for you.

Coming to a stop, pressing the clutch in and letting it roll does no harm, I would personally wait until just arriving at 1100 RPMs before putting the clutch in and stopping though, but thats just me and how I drive, everyone picks up different styles.

Starting the car while in gear will do no harm whatsoever, just make sure you put the car in neutral before releasing the clutch unless you are going to start moving..

Daily driving, I would shift around 3,000 RPMs, and I cruise between 2,500 RPMs and 3,000 RPMs. Anything less than 2,000 RPMs usually will bog the motor.

Our cars are really aggressive, so expect it to jerk with low throttle, don't worry, its just a natural characteristic of the RSX.

I usually rev match in to lower gear while approaching a turn so I can accelerate quickly instead of bogging, but again its just a style and everyone has their own.

·
307 Posts
Coasting in neutral is fine, it does not wear out the clutch.

Stalling is okay on occasion, just dont panic. It's okay to turn on the car with it in gear, as long as you keep the clutch in.

Shifting at 2500-3500 will give the best mileage, but honda engines were designed to rev so you should be alright if you want to wind it out too.

It is normal to get jerkiness in 1st gear, just be smoother on the gas pedal and it will help, or u could just shift to second.

Most people downshift to second when taking a turn, it keeps the revs a little higher to accelerate out the corner. Bogging down the engine too much can be harmful to it.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN WITH IT:thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Finally when approaching a green light in gear 3 going at like 60km I slow down to like 20km to make a right turn keeping the gear in 3rd then just acelerate without downshifting to 2nd......is this bad for the tranny or engine acelerating at 20km in gear 3?? Any tips and comment is appreciate to help my RSX last longer :beerchug:
Heel toe ftw!

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heel toe ftw!

Haha....too much to think of approaching the traffic lights atm so I'll laid off the Heel toe techique = ).
So driving in the wrong gear will bog the car and bogging too much will harm my engine I assume from what yall saying....I guess I need to start putting it into 2nd from now on.

Thx for all the feedbacks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.