Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm going to run this into the ground probably but I don't care anymore.

I have this horrible smell coming out of my vents (all of them) and I don't know how to get rid of it. I've resorted to spraying lysol IN to the vents just for a momentary relief.

Any suggestions on what i can do? Hanging an air freshners not going to cut it because the smell isn't sitting in the car, it's just blowing from the vents occassionally.

:(

·
Registered
637 Posts
Take it to the dealer or a PROFESSIONAL detailer, they will remove and replace a filter that is located within your vent system. You may have a bit of mold or mildew in there for what ever reason. They will also clean the ventillation system while they are there. Good luck.

If you just want something to try on your own, get some meguiars odor eliminator from autozone(yellow bottle with the dog on it). Turn on your air and put it on "recycled air" spray the OE everywhere in the car, several times. Though I don't think this will fix the problem it will help until you can take it to a pro.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
A good thing to keep in mind for the future is that you should run your vent system at least once a day, or whenever you drive it just to keep the air flowing and fresh. It's also helps to run the air conditioner in the winter from time to time (yeah, I know it's cold out, but do it anyway). This will keep the system from getting moldly or having that "wet dog" smell.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
That's possible, Frosty, he does have a 2003. Although I do think he's had his car for about as long as I have had mine (6 months+) so not sure if that still applies.

If it is from the catalytic converter, it might also depend on the type of gas you are purchasing.

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no its not the cat and i've been really good about running my air system which is why i have no idea why i have this smell

no this smell actually just smells like a person who hasn't washed themselves properly (nicest way i could put it)

it doesn't smell like anything normal from a car at all. I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow hopefully so they can see if it may be my air filter or something.

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
jp182 said:
no its not the cat and i've been really good about running my air system which is why i have no idea why i have this smell

no this smell actually just smells like a person who hasn't washed themselves properly (nicest way i could put it)

it doesn't smell like anything normal from a car at all. I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow hopefully so they can see if it may be my air filter or something.
Have you been a stupid idiot or jerk to anyone?
Because... I'll confess... I'm not an angel, and if someone pisses me off enough, one of my preferred revenge methods is to crack a stinkbomb and pour into the HVAC inlet area.

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no........but wait
come to think of it, last week was halloween but......
i didnt start smelling it until saturday not thurs or friday but still
its possible :(

thats really fucked up though, would there be anything on the inlet like residue or any sign that someone did that?

wouldnt it smell?

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!

So i took out my pollen filters and guess what i found........

leaves, and a crap load dirt. It looked like a vacuum cleaner bag. HORRIBLE

i think the smell should be gone now. So the lesson is CHECK YOUR FILTER!!

·
baby buffett
13,382 Posts
Yea, I;m having the wet dog smell, Gonna check the vent tonite

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
The rotten egg smell is probably from the catalytic converter which has nothing to do with the pollen filter.

As for still having the wet dog smell, make sure you turn the a/c off several minutes before you stop the car, also make sure you run it everyday for a few minutes in general. Someone non-use will cause the system to smell stale, or leaving it on all the time will cause a wet-dog odor.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
It could still be the catalytic converter. Just b/c you've passed the break in phase, doesn't mean much.

The type of gas you use may also affect things and cause the rotten egg smell. Not sure on the scientific/technical reason, try doing a search, I know there's a ton of info on it on this site.

Perhaps it is the pollen filter, I'm just suggesting that you keep all your options open.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A/C takes moisture out of the air and reduces the chance of a mildew smell.

The owner's manual suggests running the A/C frequently to keep mildew and moisture from developing.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
if you read the archives this is kindof a repost but im not going to bitch. in order to get to your pollen filter...:
1)empty all contents of glove box.
2)pinch sides of glove box from the outside inward( dont worry they can take alot of pressure and wont break).
3)pinch inward until the stoppers on the outside of the box go past the track, you will see what i am talking about.
4)let glove box swing down and remove plastic cover cap thingy. it has a clip on it.
5)slide out pollen filter on the left to get to filter on the right.
6)clean/replace filters check lower compartment of filter box for dirt, leaves, rats, etc...
7)replace filters in PROPPER ORDER!
8)put cover back on pollen box.
9)sqweeze glove box, reinsert.
10)and you're done.

·
trunk monkey
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well its been almost a full 2 months and my vents still smell when its wet outside. I'm taking my car into the dealership next week so they can check out the rest of the ventilation system and clean it out.

Do you have any idea how it feels to drive around in 30 degree weather when it is raining out and you can't turn your heart on????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.