Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
The new VQ35HR in the 07-08 350Zs is making about 15HP more then the previous VQ35DE. Although its only rated at 6HP more, its rated under the new SAE power rating system so its more conservativly rated then the previous VQs.

There have already been SEVERAL people running 13.2-13.4s in stock 07-08s....

·
Rice Boy
832 Posts
Orly?

although u are comparing I4 vs V6 powerplant, higher displacement vs low. not comparable really...i have to say VQ advantage as baseline.

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ

Aftermarket
K20>Vq

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq

NA potential
K20 > VQ

Reliability?
K20> VQ

·
Resident Physician
1,097 Posts
Orly?

although u are comparing I4 vs V6 powerplant, higher displacement vs low. not comparable really...i have to say VQ advantage as baseline.

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ

Aftermarket
K20>Vq

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq

NA potential
K20 > VQ

Reliability?
K20> VQ
Not entirely true.
You know there is no replacement for displacement. After all, K20 needs quite some mods to reach the output of stock VQ.

Anyways, low to mid 13s seems certainly possible in good conditions since these times are not uncommon in 07+ 350Zs.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Orly?

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ

Aftermarket
K20>Vq

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq

NA potential
K20 > VQ

Reliability?
K20> VQ
wtf u serious? reliability I will give you. Bolt ons on a 350Z will yield more of a gain than bolt ons on a RSX.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
gains alone. I know engine output alone is already way higher on the VQ. Bolt on Z will get over 25whp. RSX with bolt ons and Kpro prob gets about that but if you get into building the engine like someone else said there is no replacement for displacement. I highly doubt there will be 300+whp K20's NA.

·
thisdancegetstheladies
4,750 Posts
i doubt it. Ive talked to MANY z owners and they will say that bolt ons such as an intake or an exhaust will yield very little hp. Less then what a K20 would gain from those mods.

Its basically cuz the engine has been "maxxed" out from the factory. Most z owners looking for power will end up going f/i.

Now, you might possibly be able to buy some super quality parts to MAYBE gain that 25whp but the money will hardly be worth it.

Oh, i believe there are already 300whp n/a k20's btw.

"no replacement for displacement"

Meh, thats not entirely true although its far easier to gain power using displacement. Also consider rate of airflow but that's generally done in motorsports.

·
Omnomin' outta control
21,810 Posts
Lots of mis-information in here.

Orly?

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ

Aftermarket
K20>Vq

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq

NA potential
K20 > VQ

Reliability?
K20> VQ
You are a fucking idiot, so this post really isnt far off from your consistent basis.

Aftermarket
VQ > K20

Boost Potential
VQ >>>>>>>>>>> K20
How do you really think a k20 is better in this area? I mean cmon dude.

NA Potential
VQ > K20

Reliability
Fine, K20 > VQ, but only because of the early oil issue, otherwise they are fantastic motors.

i doubt it. Ive talked to MANY z owners and they will say that bolt ons such as an intake or an exhaust will yield very little hp. Less then what a K20 would gain from those mods.

Its basically cuz the engine has been "maxxed" out from the factory. Most z owners looking for power will end up going f/i.

Now, you might possibly be able to buy some super quality parts to MAYBE gain that 25whp but the money will hardly be worth it.

Oh, i believe there are already 300whp n/a k20's btw.

"no replacement for displacement"

Meh, thats not entirely true although its far easier to gain power using displacement. Also consider rate of airflow but that's generally done in motorsports.

There is no replacement for displacement. A bigger motor will always be more powerful, always.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Orly?

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ
Wrong. The VQ already makes a considerable more amount of power then the K20...the K20 would need a lot of work just to MATCH the VQ35. Given the same mods the VQ would be easily over 350HP at the crank. You just can't compare a DOHC I4 to a DOHC V6 with out proving that displacement and head flow are the most important attributes to making power.
Aftermarket
K20>Vq
Have you looked at the aftermarket for the VQ35 lately?! At the bare minimum they are equal to that of the K20...but i'd venture to say it has one of the largest aftermarkets of ANY import engine. Remember this engine has been used in various forms through out Nissans line up for the past 5+ years.

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq
Both engines are made of aluminum and have open deck blocks, so they are not "prime" canidates for immense amounts of boost. Not sure how well the K20 has proven but the VQ has held over 600WHP/TQ on stock bottem ends and over 1000HP on built engines. Not to shabby.

NA potential
K20 > VQ
People are making 350-400+ crank HP with comparable torque out of built VQs. Heck people are squeezing near 350 crank HP out of the VQ with out ever even having to remove the head.

Reliability?
K20> VQ
Both are reliable. Both of our VQs are approaching 100K miles and have not had one single problem.....the VQ has always been known for being a reliable well built engine.

·
thisdancegetstheladies
4,750 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement. A bigger motor will always be more powerful, always.
No. Rate of airflow doesnt have much to do with the size of the engine. Technically it does in a sence that all engines have a particular rate of airflow, but thats not the way im referring to it.. A bigger engine just means you can put more air in it then a smaller engine at a given rpm.

But anyways, i said it was EASIER to go with a bigger engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Orly?

NA/Tuning Potential
K20>VQ

Aftermarket
K20>Vq

Boost Potetial
K20>Vq

NA potential
K20 > VQ

Reliability?
K20> VQ
I hope you are kidding. :)

1 - 20 of 332 Posts