Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
the anti type-r spoiler
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped over at the dealership where I bought my RSX and couldn't help but notice how used looking my car looks already. Due to the fact that the stock rims look so dull and dirty. They've lost that gleaming silver finish that the unpurchased RSX's had. Someone tell me how to get this things clean! I carwash frequently and the body is fine... but the rims are hard to clean!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
wax them!

really - even the non-chrome rims can be polished / waxed. makes em shinier and easier to clean.
as long as they have been coasted (clearcoat etc) they can be waxed/polished/zaino'ed - whatever you want to call it.

it isnt permanent of course - but just do it when you do your car.
and the heat generated will degrade any wax sooner than on your painted surfaces - but it is a solution that is easy to do.

C

·
0 Posts
My rims usually clean up nice with just soap and water..the only thing that bugs me is cleaning the back side of the rims...the backside is usually the best part :D but not in this case :p

·
Mac Addict
270 Posts
Wash and wax them like any other part of your car. Remember, they have a light clearcoat on them as well (I think) so avoid harsh abrasives and cleaners for the firts few years at least. I'm taking my wheels off this weekend to wax them very well for the winter.

Good luck guys, road salt season is just around the corner her in Pennsylvania!

D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
FrostyBC said:
There's a number of wheel cleaning solutions on the market.
Most of them are just spray and hose. They dissolve most dirt, tar and brake grime safely.
Then you can polish and/or wax them to get the new shine.
yes, there are entire shelving units at any Canadian Tire dedicated to this job.

i read all the labels carefully.
some of that stuff is harsher than they say -
some isnt good for some rubber compounds . . . grey's them

my preference is simple green automotive . . . $5 a bottle, environmentally friendlt - and it has soo many other uses.

then wax them puppies . . . .

oh, and if you use a brush to clean the rims - be carfeul with the handle and edges..you might scratch the clearcoat . . . try rags,

·
Registered
137 Posts
WASHING RIMS

This is what I do. I use "Simpe Green" you can pick it up from Canadian Tire and spray the rims and tires as well. Scrub with a brush or something then wash clean. Then take "Dry Wash" and you can polish your rims up and they look MINT. They have the shine back in no time. And then after you wash the tire with simple green you could use Mugurier's tire stuff (the purple gel) and they will look sweet as well.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: WASHING RIMS

SIXFIGGA2 said:
This is what I do. I use "Simpe Green" you can pick it up from Canadian Tire and spray the rims and tires as well. Scrub with a brush or something then wash clean. Then take "Dry Wash" and you can polish your rims up and they look MINT. They have the shine back in no time. And then after you wash the tire with simple green you could use Mugurier's tire stuff (the purple gel) and they will look sweet as well.
Question - "dry wash" ?

is that the product that is sold to wash your car without water?

sold as a MLM product?

if it is - I am going to pass along a piece of info i was recently told by someone about it . . .

depsite what the claims are - there are abrasives in the product . .

i have not personally investigated the product - and the entire idea of rubbing stuff off my finish when it is dry scares the hell outta me :eek:

but , if the product you refer to is different - then ignore the above

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: WASHING RIMS

SIXFIGGA2 said:
Scrub with a brush or something then wash clean.. And then after you wash the tire with simple green you could use Mugurier's tire stuff (the purple gel) and they will look sweet as well.
see, this is where you proved to be smarter than me - or more energetic . .

i used the maguiars for over a year - I liked the gloss level (not too high) and i liked the applicator pad - but I hated the scummy build-up on my rubber.

if i had bothered to brush the wheels clean each time - then I would possibly still be using it . . . maybe :p

although , my tires have a ring composed of tiny little ridges that used to just capture that stuff as i wiped it on . . . .

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: DRY WASH

SIXFIGGA2 said:
Hey, I've been using this stuff ever since I have had a car. This stuff works great and does an amazing finish. It's your own choice though.
sixfagga2 - Im not sure we are talking about the same stuff though.

the guy who passed along the info was in the states - maybe there are different products . . .

although there is some benefit to a tiny bit of "micro" abrasives in a car care product - it would help remove buildup etc . . .(it just not something I personally would be comfortable with) but everyone should use what they like.

can you point me to a website or somewhere to get literature on the product you are using. I would like to learn more about it.

thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
DRY WASH

Hey, I don't know. My dad got it. But it has to be the same thing. You mix the stuff and then it goes into a pump spray bottle and just spray it on. Then you polish your car then use a different rag and buff it up.

I'll try and find out though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: DRY WASH

SIXFIGGA2 said:
Hey, I don't know. My dad got it. But it has to be the same thing. You mix the stuff and then it goes into a pump spray bottle and just spray it on. Then you polish your car then use a different rag and buff it up.

I'll try and find out though.
You mix up stuff?
is it powder or liquid before you mix it up?
or do you add powder to liquid, then spray it?
also, what do you do if the car is winnipeg dirty?
like dirt road stuff . . . dont you hose that off first - of just spray on the mix from a trigger bottle and then wipe it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
WINNIPEG DIRTY

*L* That's funny.

It's a liquid mix with water I believe. I could be wrong.
If it is WPG dirty, never use dry wash if there is sand or anything like that on the car. Wash it off first with a pressure washer then use the dry-wash. Dry-wash is ok to just use if there is dust or something like that on there.

·
Dude, where's my car?
2,278 Posts
This is what I did to keep the back side of my rims looking like new. The first week I had the car, I cleaned the rims with simple green and then clearcoated the actual rim. I didn't use the clearcoat on the front of the rim (5-star portion) just around the sides. Now I just simply wash with soap and water and they look brand new. It makes such a difference when the rims look so clean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Shibby said:
The first week I had the car, I cleaned the rims with simple green and then clearcoated the actual rim. I didn't use the clearcoat on the front of the rim (5-star portion) just around the sides.
What did you cover the rim in? I am in my first week with my car and I would like to know.

I have always waxed my rims whenever I waxed the car. It made the brake dust come off much easier and always made them shine :)

Zymol keeps my car clean. I need to finish the bottle before I buy another brand...

Spac3d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts