Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Porsche Club of America
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the Stock Tires on the RSX-S for use in autocross. The would be my 1st autocross with my RSX and would like to hear what other people thnk about the tires and the car stock in an Auto-X. My Previous car was a 1992 Acura Vigor and i Really beat on the car a lot when i Auto-X it. Body roll was Heavy and i am shure the RSX is much better. I used to have Dunlop Sp5000. Not a bad tire.

· Registered
22,420 Posts
i'm a 1st time autoXer and i was using stock tires on stock pressures. man i was sliding all over. but still easy to see where your limits are.

· Late Apexer
5,168 Posts
Tire Choice depends on class. if you run STreet Touring then the MX or the Azenis are your best bet. if you run stock or one of the more "open" classes then R compound tires are what you should look for (Kumho Ecsta V700/ or V700 VictoRacer, or Hoosier A3S03/A3S04

For starting out, if you ran R compounds right away you would destroy them. Learn on your stock tires, it will teach you quicker by punishing you more when you make mistakes. Get fast with those and then switch to a sticky tire.

· Registered
171 Posts
As an aside, be sure to pump your pressures up a fair amount when you get out there. At least 5 pounds higher cold pressure, probably closer to 10 higher. The tire won't roll nearly as much. Hell, I ran them at 40 psi for street driving. If you do pump up closer to 10 pounds, be sure to check them when you get back in from runs and lower them if they get any higher than 10 pounds over normal.

· Registered
77 Posts
Well the stock tires have a soft sidewall which means body roll city. Increasing the tire pressure helps but in the future some azenis will idecrease your times.

· 700p LTR TWS .308
6,408 Posts
stock tires suck since they slip, especially in rain, they break loose too easily. Us NorthEast people have had rain at almost every autox. I swapped to Dunlop SP 5000 Asymmetrical (the new Z rated versions), and they're friggin awesome, especially in rain. They don't brake loose, and I still feel like I'm driving on dry ground when I hit hard turns. For dry driving obviously nothing better than Azenis (other than R compounds), but for me who doesn't have the luxury of storage space living in Manhattan, the tires I race with are the ones that stay on the car. The Dunlops are also very good in snow. Good look trying to get Azenis, most suppliers are out due to Mazda rev it up buying them all up like there's no tomorrow. LOL

· cone head
1,040 Posts
Stock tires are terrible in any weather... But at least run them at much higher PSI. 45 front (cold) / 40-45 rear.

Azenis are awesome but wear out very quickly and really suck when they do (still better than stock tires though heh)

· Registered
257 Posts
Run the hell out of um and sort your car out while you do. I mean your not going to be quick your first time out with a new car anyways so theres no use in getting a new set right away. Just don't let them last to long.

D

· Porsche Club of America
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I smoked the hell out of my sp5000's when i autocrossed my vigor. It was an auto so when i got back on the gasss id spin em like crazy. Had less Hp but more low end torque. Fun car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.