Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking for input on the various brands and cuts of clear bras. I have found 2 available over the internet. The first has several front pieces to cover the front bumper. The second is a one piece design that looks pretty difficult to install. Has anyone had one of these kits or self-installed one themselves? I believe Acura does install these clear bras. Which of these kits do they use or are there different ones available still.

Thanks
here's the links
http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=127

http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.asp?make=Acura&image1.x=16&image1.y=13

·
Registered
767 Posts
Email David Dearing at [email protected] and tell him that Shing sent you and he will take care of you. It is very hard to install this yourself unless you know what you are doing. I have it on my car and will be completing the kit this weekend sometime (they were out of the bumper piece). I'll post pics when it is done. Anywho, give David a shout and he can help you with anything you need.

·
Registered
482 Posts
http://www.speedfilm.net

I just wanted to point out to everyone that all these companies are cutting the same materical made by 3M. The difference is in the cut and what's in the kit. I've installed 4 kits on various car and it is NOT easy. It takes times.... also, when they are first installed they do not look good... it takes a while for them to 'bake out' under the sun.

Email David and tell him Shing sent you guys... he'll get you guys a great deal. I just installed a RSX kit on my g/f's car two weekends ago...

-S

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which cut does "David" sell... Stoneguard?

I installed one of these kits on my pervious car (BMW z3) It was a pain in the ass because the car was so rounded up front. I am hoping that this one will be easier.

·
Registered
482 Posts
mickst8ler said:
Which cut does "David" sell... Stoneguard?

I installed one of these kits on my pervious car (BMW z3) It was a pain in the ass because the car was so rounded up front. I am hoping that this one will be easier.
he used to sell the stongard cut, but he's got a new company right now. I like this particular cut better because they give you extra material.

-S

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!! I did email David... What kind of money are we talking about for the full kit, with Underbody kit? I'd like to get this on before I drive the car too much.

This forum Rocks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
482 Posts
mickst8ler said:
Thanks!!! I did email David... What kind of money are we talking about for the full kit, with Underbody kit? I'd like to get this on before I drive the car too much.

This forum Rocks!:thumbsup:
I honestly won't know what the cost of the full kit is... but if I were to guess, <$300...

BTW, just a heads up, davids been pretty busy lately and has been a little slow on the email depart.

-Shing

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. Like I said, I emailed "David" about 10 days ago and I still have not received a response. Anyone know how to get in touch with thi sperson or any other that may offer a discount on this stonegard 3M stuff. My car will be here this week and I want it protected from day one... please help!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
482 Posts
mickst8ler said:
OK. Like I said, I emailed "David" about 10 days ago and I still have not received a response. Anyone know how to get in touch with thi sperson or any other that may offer a discount on this stonegard 3M stuff. My car will be here this week and I want it protected from day one... please help!:rolleyes:
I sent an email to David... could be on vaction.

-Shing

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shing,
Thanks for trying, but I just got off the phone with David. Someone gave his website and it was on there. We talked a while about cars.... Nice Guy! Thanks for the contact:thumbsup:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, what kit did you choose.... the XPEL cut with the multiple bumper pieces or the Stongard cut with the single piece bumper. Was it difficult for you to install?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Related info on this subject. Talked to the local Stonguard guy here in AZ and he tells me the RSX kit is $445 or $570, depending on which one you get. Installation is about $225 on top of that. Also talked to the local Acura dealer who said they would not recommend it. Said they used to do it, but too much trouble with bubbles and the like. Sounds like a lousy excuse to me, but my concern would be with the install. If it's not perfect, somebody has to take it off and re-do it. I hear that's not easy. It also seems like a shit load of money for this thing. I'm still undecided about it.

·
770 Posts
You can get strips of the stuff from 3-M pretty cheaply and install/cut them yourself...I did a couple strips behind my front wheel wells to help protect from stones being thrown up when I got my wider wheels/tires. Total cost, about $50.

I think with all of these clear films it's a fine line between protecting your delicate paint and making your car look like a piece of furniture with that plastic over it. It's a tough choice. Clearly, the plastic will prevent a lot of stone chips, but a lot of your hood is still unprotected. I wonder how the plastic looks after a couple years, too?

·
Speedy
2,648 Posts
how is this stuff holding up?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
theres a few cars with clear bras on it at the shop that turned all yellow and crap, they need new paint now. and it is hard as hell to take off. not sure what brand they are...

·
Speedy
2,648 Posts
thanks for the info - i'm going with the bra or just re-paint/replace the front bumper as needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts