Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few members request that I add a strut/tie bar review thread. Please keep it in this format. Any non-review will be deleted. If you have questions about the setup, pm/email the member.

- Thanks

Brand:
Custom Fitting: [any drilling, cutting, etc needed to fit]
Pros:
Cons: [Does not fit with V2 or short ram]

·
Gotta Have More Cowbell
422 Posts
Mugen Replicas

Front Strut Bar:
Had to bend the bracket on left side of engine its actually screwed into the engine, and also it looks as though the AC line (i think thats what it is) is extremely close to hitting the bar

Rear Strut Bar:
Very easy to dremel out the plastic for this, i never used one before and it took me less than an hour to do it cleanly and carefully

Ride feels a lot tighter....cornering is very nice now, turns seem to take less steering wheel movement for some reason....havent tried it at high speed yet...looks great too!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Front: Neuspeed
Pro's: Made the car corner significantly flatter, and responses were slightly improved.
Con's: Made the brake fluid resevoir top hard to come off, so getting it off to add more brake fluid when bleeding the brakes is slightly more difficult. Don't think I had to bend anything, but that was a while ago.

Rear: AC
Pro's: Again the car cornered flatter, and seemed to have a slightly better balance through corners. It is also a gorgeous red color that nearly matches my cars color.
Con's: I am not a big fan of cutting up the carpet in my hatch.

Didn't notice a ride quality difference with either of them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Brand: Mugen replica front bar
Custom Fitting: bending of power steering bracket, cruise control bracket and A/C line
Pros: Nice fit and get to keep TypeS stock strut bar. Fits with AEM SRI. Very thick/sturdy material and nice welds.
Cons: Highest part of braces rub against fire retardant material.

Brand: Mugen replica rear bar
Custom Fitting: Required cutting of rear panels with rotary tool.
Pros: Nice clean look after install, very thick/sturdy material and nice welds.
Cons: Hard to bolt on, doesn't sit flat in trunk like other bars and takes up space if you plan on folding down seats for large items.

Noticed a stiffer and bumpier ride after install. See thread for pics(page 3) and install - http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=171347&highlight=strut+bar

·
Registered
682 Posts
Front
Brand: Cusco (US-LHD Version)
Custom Fitting: None
Pros:Lightweight and very stable, adds mild but noticeable rigidity to the front. Also bolts to the firewall.
Cons: Bolts to factory location on strut tower instead of the three larger bolts around the outside of the strut tower.

Rear
Brand: Cusco
Custom Fitting: None
Pros: Feels much stiffer than stock and feels more agile in turns. Pretty light and VERY strong.
Cons: If you don't take out some paneling during install it is a real PITA. Otherwise no cons to speak of.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Brand: Mugen front bar
Pros: Typical Mugen quality. Better turn-in. Front end feels tighter in turns. Left and right side of car feel more "on the same page."
Cons: Cost, but worth it.

Brand: Mugen rear bar and Neuspeed X-Brace
Pros: Had them both installed at the same time by a tuner shop so I'll review them together. Really tightens up the car. More poised in turns, left and right side of car work together. Noticeable gains in canyons and at track days.
Cons: As noted above, cost, and restricts use of rear cargo area when seats folded down.

·
made of particles
11,438 Posts
Brand: DC titanium front bar
Pros: Weighs half as much as the stock one. Nearly a direct replacement. Had to remove my heatshield for the injen sri otherwise it would have made contact. Looks cool. Titanium rocks.
Cons: None

Brand: DC titanium rear bar
Pros: Looks cool, definately stiffens up the rear. Doesn't really restrict cargo carrying ability.
Cons: Install is a pain, requires trimming of trunk panels (aviators snips work well however, if you dont feel like dremeling through carpet), hidden beneath the trunk carpet when complete (I may loosen, try to lift, and slide carpet under when it gets warmer, kind of a shame to cover it up...). I had to remove the stock brackets on each side (the ones that bolt on with strut bolts and an additional bolt inboard on each) otherwise i couldnt get the nuts to thread...took me about a half an hour to figure that out.

Brand: DC polished lower tie bar
Pros: shiny, fits easily, stiffens up the rear a little bit
Cons: none, except installing when its 5 degrees in the garage sucks.

Driving impressions: i drove after all of this was on. seems to take bumps better, and a little more stable in lane changes and turns. not a huge difference, but still noticeable. pretty much what i was expecting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cusco dc5 j-spec front strut bar

pros, it looks really nice, bolts on the the 2 holes on the side, maybe i can still add the mugen strut bar. performance is like anyother strut bar i guess. didn't really notice any diff.

cons: for right hand drive cars only, had to make a custom bracket to make it fit perfect.

the rear i have a mugen replica bar. great improvement, that one was noticeable,
cons slight cutting no biggie.

·
[email protected]=2.538 60' :(
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Brand: Mugen replica front bar
Custom Fitting: Didn't have to bend anything at all. Just bolted it down to 33 ft lbs.
Pros: Looks great makes the front end feel solid.
Cons: Vibrations

Brand: Mugen replica rear bar
Custom Fitting: I cut the rear with a razor blade. If you take that interior piece out and look on the back there is almost a guide there for you. And the hole to be cut is really small. Just the side of the panel not the top. Took about 5 minutes to install.
Pros: Looks awesome. (Especially with no back seats!) Makes the rear end feel AWESOME.
Cons: Pain in the Ass to bolt in.

·
OverDosed on Performance!
297 Posts
Brand:
EM Racing Triangulated Trunk Bars

Custom Fitting:
- Need Small holes in carpet to pass bolts.
- Cutting Plastic around Rear Seat Latches.

Pros:
- Rear is much tighter on turns.
- Nice Race Touch when opening the hatch.
- Bolts and Washers included.
- Easy and Quick to Install.
- No Vibrations.
- Adjustable.
- Lightweight (Hollow Construction).
- Solid.
- Click for image installed (Image on the left)

Cons:
- Forget about removing spare tire, unless you carry the right allen key with you at all times.

·
09 TSX
771 Posts
Tanabe Sustec Pro

Fitting: Perfect bolt on, had to remove one bracket but no problems other than that.
Pros: Adjustable, red looks hot under the hood, good price
Cons: paint scratches easily

Megan Racing C-Pillar Bar

Fitting: It was a bitch to install for some reason but with a friend it to help hold it, it went in easy after that.
Pros: Looks good inside, CHEAP.
Cons: cant really tell a huge difference since the strut tower bar was installed at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Mugen Rear Strut Bar:
Fitting: Had to cut the side panels behind the seats for the bar to bolt on. Fit was perfect though!!!
Pros: Looks so badass when looking from the opened hatch, and rear end feels "tighter" when plowing through the curves (might be just in my head.....)
Cons: So expensive haha!!

·
:lurk:
1,612 Posts
Mugen Replica Front Strut
Pros: Inexpensive, sturdy construction
Cons: Had fitment issues. Was rubbing against my airbox and the A/C line. I eventually sold it and got a Greddy front strut.

Greddy Front Strut
Pros: No probably with rubbing anywhere, 3-piece design (maybe con for some people, but I'd rather take out 2 bolts instead of 6)
Cons: Had to reverse mount/bend the throttle cable bracket on the passenger so it would clear the bar.
Better fitment than the replica Mugen, but I think I might eventually upgrade to a real Mugen bar :love:

Replica JDM rear floor bar
Pros: Inexpensive, but still good quality. Perfect fiment.
Cons: Had to trim some of the styrofoam off the spare tire cover to keep the floor level, but you can live with it as is.
Not sure if it does a lot, but I did notice the back end doesn't squeak anymore whenver I pull into my driveway, so it must be doing something :dontknow:

·
blah
139 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, just to bring it back cause I want to put a review

Carbing Front Strut Bar w/ MCB - http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/SSR-CARBING-MCB.html

Pros
- One piece construction, very clean. Install is easy, no issues.
- The car feels more more stable over bump, uneven ground, less shock/vibration over road gaps. Slight improvement in hard cornering, turn in accuracy.
- The Master Cylinder Brace is good, I have Hawks HPS that is running out, and usually I have to press deep to get good stopping power. With MCB, braking feels much more linear and shorter.
- There is opinion out there saying MCB will wear out the cylinder seals faster, I can't verify that cause I just got it installed.

Overall, this mod surprised me a little in a good way. Since my 02 type-s already has a front strut bar, I was skeptical on what the new bar can provide. BTW, the carbing is kinda beefy and it makes the stock bar looks like a thin wire. This mod will not improve maximum performance, but it will make you drive faster because the car is more predictable, provide that your suspension is in good working order.

Cons
- Expensive, but I got it used :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
what front strut tower bars only bolt to the 3 bolts on the top plate of the strut/coilover? One of my bolts on the factory location for the stock strut bar is sheared off and don't want to hassle with replacing.

·
blah
139 Posts
what front strut tower bars only bolt to the 3 bolts on the top plate of the strut/coilover? One of my bolts on the factory location for the stock strut bar is sheared off and don't want to hassle with replacing.
Most of them are, but I suggested you tighten all of them. BTW, those bolts are dirt cheap. I went to a local garage and they gave it to me for free.

·
Certified Ziptie Tech
419 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, just to bring it back cause I want to put a review

Carbing Front Strut Bar w/ MCB - http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/SSR-CARBING-MCB.html

Pros
- One piece construction, very clean. Install is easy, no issues.
- The car feels more more stable over bump, uneven ground, less shock/vibration over road gaps. Slight improvement in hard cornering, turn in accuracy.
- The Master Cylinder Brace is good, I have Hawks HPS that is running out, and usually I have to press deep to get good stopping power. With MCB, braking feels much more linear and shorter.
- There is opinion out there saying MCB will wear out the cylinder seals faster, I can't verify that cause I just got it installed.

Overall, this mod surprised me a little in a good way. Since my 02 type-s already has a front strut bar, I was skeptical on what the new bar can provide. BTW, the carbing is kinda beefy and it makes the stock bar looks like a thin wire. This mod will not improve maximum performance, but it will make you drive faster because the car is more predictable, provide that your suspension is in good working order.

Cons
- Expensive, but I got it used :)
I know it was a while ago you posted but I was just wondering how your Master Cylinder is holding up??..Also you think the strut bar is worth the cost brand new?? Its almost $450 plus shipping.

·
blah
139 Posts
I know it was a while ago you posted but I was just wondering how your Master Cylinder is holding up??..Also you think the strut bar is worth the cost brand new?? Its almost $450 plus shipping.
It's holding up just fine. For original price I don't think it's worth it. I rather get a good front/rear strut bar, a separate unit for bracing MC. The rest I'll spend it on a 4pt or 6pt lower chassis brace.

BTW, I believe my 6pt lower brace performs better than the strut bar (both carbing).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts