Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i started on the installation at about 5:30 eastern...it is now about 8:30...

i used the right socket the try to twist the bolts between the b-pire/axle back off...instead they decided to break off due to the rust. now the axle back and the b-pipe are stuck together with whatever rusted in between the two pipes...i'm guessing gasket?

what the hell can i do??? there is sooooo much rust!!!

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
Heat it with a torch if possible (safety first) or run the car for a few minutes to heat it up, then hit the fucker with a big hammer on the flange, it'll come off if the bolts are off. You could also try a pry bar if you can wedge it in between the 2 flanges.

·
9,245 Posts
As long as you can get something wedged in between the 2 flanges, you can try and get them apart that way. Work the flange from multiple angles. If it just won't come apart, you may need to take the b-pipe and exhaust off the car as a unit and work at it off the car.

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i'll try that but if i could take the whole thing off as one unit i would do that but the suspension doesn't let me do that :dontknow:

·
9,245 Posts
If all else fails then, go to a muffler shop, he'll get it apart with his torch. Just take along the nuts and bolts that you will be using for the new exhaust to hold it together until you get home to finish the job.

edit: doh, too late. good work.

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well...the axle back is off (ty rensoyka)...now time to struggle with these tight as hell rh/cat bolts...i'll be back :thumbsup:

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well i've managed to get the whole stock exhaust which was my goal for tonight. tomorrow gonna install the comptech...but before i log off, one more question

since i don't have a donut gasket for the axle back/b-pipe and since i have 2 rh/b-pipe gaskets, can i use the rh/b-pipe gasket between the axle back/b-pipe

thx in advance and many thx to rensoyka :thumbsup:

·
9,245 Posts
ok well i've managed to get the whole stock exhaust which was my goal for tonight. tomorrow gonna install the comptech...but before i log off, one more question

since i don't have a donut gasket for the axle back/b-pipe and since i have 2 rh/b-pipe gaskets, can i use the rh/b-pipe gasket between the axle back/b-pipe

thx in advance and many thx to rensoyka :thumbsup:
Nope. If you can pry the old one off without damaging it (unlikley due to the age of the system) and it's in reasonable shape you can re-use it, but the recommended path would be to wait until Monday and get a new one.

·
9,245 Posts
prying the old one is out of the question. what would be the consequences of using a rh/b-pipe gasket? its brand new
I looked at the exhaust diagram and it looks like the donut gasket is mounted on the end of the b-pipe. If that's the case and it isn't all torn to hell, I would just leave it as it is and put the muffler on with new string bolts. If it is all torn up, you don't have much choice except to rip it off and replace it. If you use another flat type gasket, then the muffler won't be able to swivel at the end of the b-pipe, but without seeing it, I can't say for sure that it won't fit together and work for you.

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well got it installed and it sounds great :thumbsup:

after i started it up i let it run and went back under to check for leaks and i found a very small leak between the b-pipe/axle back. can this cause any problems or do i need to do something about it?

·
9,245 Posts
Break down and buy a new donut gasket and install it. Do it before your bolts start to rust (unless you used stainless steel) and it should be a quick job. Not a huge rush here, but I'd do it anyways.

·
FREE IRAN!!!!
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea its not a problem to take off the axle back..but where can i get the gasket at? i went to autozone and told them my model/car/etc and they dont have it..is there a universal one you can use or something?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts