Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was competing in the first local Autocross of the season this past sunday, in Cincinnati. It was hella cold (40 degrees and 20 mph wind) and we were getting no grip, evo's and rex's were doing ok but us open differential fwd guys were hurting. Had some serious wheel hop issues.

So my second run I am coming around a soft bend onto a medium length straight, run up through first, down into second hit, about 60 or so. Long sweeper coming up, I get on the brake a little late, as i am slowing down i shift into first gear.

I did not realize how fast i was going, i hear the engine and check the tacj, saw the tach jump up to about 8700 maybe even 8800, I am back on the clutch, revs down, I finish out the run kinda easy

Car still running. Two drops of pee come out.

I go back to the grid, car still running. I get out of the car, pop the hood, car still running, no funny noises. I turn the car off, I pray. I turn the car back on, car still running. Another drop of pee comes out. Idle is fine, car revs fine, no funny noises, no clicks, bangs.

I finish out the rest of the competition with no problems.

Wow that was close. Holy crap was i scared.

·
A/F master
2,828 Posts
Glad to hear that nothing happened engine wise. definately got to watch those rpms though. But, everyone misshifts at some point

·
Registered
323 Posts
JRico said:
I did not realize how fast i was going, i hear the engine and check the tacj, saw the tach jump up to about 8700 maybe even 8800, I am back on the clutch, revs down, I finish out the run kinda easy
Wow that was close. Holy crap was i scared.
Don't worry about it. 8800 indicated is really only about 8600. And with Hondata, people are hitting that all the time, no problem.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Let's not make a habit of that though ;-) Plus, especiallyif you have Hondata, I don't think downshifting into 1st is worth it. You're wasting at least a half-second for the downshift, and then another hefty fraction upshifting to 2nd again. Better to just ride out the low revs IMO (and I'm running stock).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yeh man, you are wasting time by shifting into first. All that creates is a LOT of wheelspin and slower times.
Glad your car is ok.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
lanman2000 said:
rev limiter?
Rev limiter only works in throttle on instances (Because its just a fuel cut), you can down shift and over rev the engine, because the Rev limiter has no power over that. (because its the transmission thats pushing the engine past redline, rather then your use of the gas pedal.)

as far as downshifting in autocross, well most courses are only 1st and 2nd gear, so down shifting to 1st may be nessiary. But it depends on the course, and as long as you rev match (properly) you wont do any thing bad to the transmission, clutch, or engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts