Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok well let me start out by saying that I did do a search and I didn't find anyone with this specific issue so please don't yell at me and tell me to use the search function.

I recently purchased a 2002 ABP Type S with about 122,000 miles on it and my only engine mods are an AEM V2 CAI and a cat-back exhaust. As far as I know it's not re-flashed but I would have to pull the ECU to be sure, which I have not done yet. My issue is like the title says but let me explain it further. When I am in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and I let the RPM's drop below 3,000, if I then go WOT from below 3,000 RPM's between 3,500 and 4,000 RPM there is a stutter / hesitation / bog and my RPM's drop down to about 3,000 before starting to climb again. If I drive like an asshole, red line, and keep it in vtec in 1st through 6th it doesn't do this. Also, it doesn't do this in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It only happens in 4th, 5th, or 6th if I let the RPM's drop below 3,000 then go WOT. I have a cold air intake and an exhaust, and when it does produce this stutter I can hear my intake stop sucking in air and my exhaust going quiet for a brief moment. Also, the CEL light never comes on.

Now I know you are probably asking why I am accelerating from sub 3,000 RPM's in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear instead of downshifting. Don't worry about that. I know how to drive a manual transmission car I'm not a noob but sometimes the cost of gas keeps me from downshifting into a higher RPM to save gas. Well my solution is obviously as easy as downshifting into a lower gear and staying above 4,000 RPM's when accelerating. But driving habits aside, does the fact that my car does this mean there is a problem or something needs adjusted? If you have a Type S, next time you drive maybe accelerate from 2,000 RPM's in 5th or 6th gear and see if your car does this too?

·
Registered
299 Posts
For 1, you use more gas trying to accelerate from a low rpm in a higher gear than just downshifting. And secondly, you should never try to accelerate in 6th gear. The highest gear in any manual transmission car is the cruising gear. You should only be in 6th if you're cruising down the highway or somewhere where the speed limit is fast enough for you to be in 6th. It just sounds like you're trying to save gas but you're really just using more gas trying to get your car to accelerate from 2k rpm in 6th gear. Shift in between 3k and 4k rpm in any gear and only be in 6th if you're cruising. The only time i hit 6th gear is on the highway. You're just bogging your motor down. That can also hurt your clutch. If you're in 6th and going up a hill, you need to downshift. Nothing needs adjusted. And another thing, if you're ever racing someone or just doing highway pulls, you should never put it into 6th gear. I don't really know how you would anyway unless you're shifting at a low rpm. The 6th gear is there for good gas mileage, not because it makes the car faster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. well thanks for the driving and gas consumption tips. :thumbsup: I am aware that I need to downshift. :deadhorse

But like I said in my initial post:

"But driving habits aside, does the fact that my car does this mean there is a problem or something needs adjusted?"

And does anyone else's Type S do this as well?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When I am in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and I let the RPM's drop below 3,000, if I then go WOT from below 3,000 RPM's between 3,500 and 4,000 RPM there is a stutter / hesitation / bog and my RPM's drop down to about 3,000 before starting to climb again.
Is the above description accurate? You reach 3500-4000rpm and then you drop to 3000rpm and climb again?
What you describe is far worse than the typical bogging (trying to accelerate in high gear from a low rpm). Something is definately wrong there.

A wild guess would be a slipping clutch. That would explain the shudder/rpm drop.
During the initial WOT acceleration... is it smooth and gradual, consistant with the car gaining speed? Or does it climb rapidly with little or no vehicle speed increase?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@nofatchicks - I've been driving sticks for years. My first stick was a RX7, then a S2000, then a DC2 GSR Teg, then a BMW 3 series, and now finally my RSX Type S.. so I know how to drive a stick. My last car was the BMW and it had tons of torque and only 5 gears so I wasn't banging the gears as much or needing to downshift. I just got my RSX like a week ago so I'm still in the process of changing my driving and shifting habits to suit this car. I just forgot what it was like to drive a car with 6 gears and no torque.

@Perfectionist - Yeah that description is pretty accurate. During initial WOT it is smooth and gradual and the car is gaining speed. I would think that if the clutch was slipping it would do what you described where the RPM's would climb rapidly but the cars speed would not increase, which my car does not do. I can also spin the wheels at 4,000 RPM's and chirp into second at redline, and the clutch grabs fine when I shift at redline and at all other times. I would think that the clutch would slip under those conditions as opposed to at 3500 RPM in a high gear. But like I said I could be wrong which is why I am posting here to see if anyone could help. I've pretty much narrowed it down to TPS needs adjusting, injectors, spark plugs, coil wires, clutch, or an issue with my ecu. I don't think my car has been re-flashed but if it has then that would explain it. I just posting to see if anyone else had this exact problem and knew what the solution was or if multiple people experienced this so I would know it's fairly common and nothing to worry about. It would be nice if it was just the clutch because I want to replace it anyways. I hate stock Honda clutches and stock clutches in general. I like the on/off feel of a stage 2 or higher and I don't mind the increased resistance. I like working out my left leg.

·
Тому, що &#104
1,466 Posts
if you have kpro. check that your lean protection is off. i had mine on while my o2 sensor was bad and i just replaced it and started to get the same problem as you. i forgot the i turned it on and then remembered. so i went in to kpro and turned it off and car drives good now

·
Registered
299 Posts
You won't go anywhere in 6th gear. Period. You can go WOT in 6th gear and still go no where. 6th gear is for cruising so take that out of the picture. And i'm thinking this "hesitation" is due to no torque. The power band is in high rpm's. If you race someone starting in 5th at 3k you're gonna lose. Maybe you're just used to torque or like someone said you need to learn how to drive a stick better (at least with the rsx) :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The OP's question was not wether it is wise to go WOT from a low RPM in a high gear.

""if I then go WOT from below 3,000 RPM's between 3,500 and 4,000 RPM there is a stutter / hesitation / bog and my RPM's drop down to about 3,000 before starting to climb again""

""But driving habits aside, does the fact that my car does this mean there is a problem or something needs adjusted?""

The RPM should not drop one bit when going WOT. Though it's very hard on the clutch and bottom end, the vehicle SHOULD slowly accelerate while the engine grunts and growls, EVEN in 6th gear from 2000rpm.

@ taylora ... In 4th gear there is about a 15mph difference between 3000 and 4000 rpm. Does your speed drop in direct relation to the rpm or not? If not, the clutch is the only possible disconnect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.