Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1843 Posts

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any opinions about them? G35 is kind of lame in the snow and in general, So I'm considering one. Drove an 08 and it was nicer then I expected so I figure an 11 would just be like that but better.

also has anyone ever had a car delivered? a dealer in MA said they have delivered 4 wrxs to NY and that they would also take my trade back with them? Is that a bad idea? seems like one...lol.

Apparently the tranny was strengthened in 2009 too which is good because it seem like the 5 speeds are made of glass if you read NASIOC...

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always had it in the back of my mind, I didn't test drive it back in 06 because I felt the rsx would be a more reliable/economical choice. That isnt the case when u waste tons of money on mods just to make wheel hop worse(not that I didn't enjoy my rsx, I did). then I was convinced plush RWD highway cruiser was the way to go, but a G35 is much less comfortable then one would expect from a "luxury" car. Then I test drove an 08 and it was much nicer then I expected after all the crap everyone talks about it...09 turbo upgrade fixes the lack of power and 2011 fixes the handling...so yeah I'm on board..lol

just a lot of scary reliability stuff out there. like people blowing up trannies with stock power, piston rings going, engines blowing. IDK its hard to tell what is true on the interwebz. But apparently the 09+ tranny is made of LGT parts so thats good I guess.

really what sold me was how relaxing the 08 was to drive and how planted it felt(in the snow too..lol)

·
Chįlläxn
1,620 Posts
You can go 300whp+ out of the stock tranny of 09+ wrxs with no problems. The 08s were the ones that had lots of problems like spun bearing, suspension, tranny and other stuff. If you really care that much about transmission not holding up though and planning on going 400whp+ then get an STI or EVO X gsr. :laughing:

·
Banned
12,318 Posts
The early 09's had issues. All worked out after a few months.
08's had no problems cause they have the same engine/tranny as the 06-07 just a different body.

'10+ are the ones I've been hearing don't have any transmission problems. Or at least not as bad as the earlier ones anyway.

I'll be looking to get a white '11 hatch, throw on tbe and tune it myself for a simple 300whp and have a very nice daily/all arounder.

They will easily run 12's at around 110 with said setup. That should be quick enough for most on a daily driver.

·
Hi Hater.
12,900 Posts
02/03 = "glass" tranny

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
08's had no problems cause they have the same engine/tranny as the 06-07 just a different body.

'10+ are the ones I've been hearing don't have any transmission problems. Or at least not as bad as the earlier ones anyway.

I'll be looking to get a white '11 hatch, throw on tbe and tune it myself for a simple 300whp and have a very nice daily/all arounder.

They will easily run 12's at around 110 with said setup. That should be quick enough for most on a daily driver.
yeah not looking for anything crazy out of it, just want to be able to romp on it a bit. maybe some casual auto x and maybe 3-5 trips to the drag strips a year..probably go stage 2 once the warranty is up. i just dont want to launch the car 10 times and have a giant blue paper weight..lol

·
Boots to Asses
6,403 Posts

Sorry to Thread jack slushie, but stupid question vlad, The TD04 turbo is it good for a Si in your honest opinion? Igot it for free lol nothing wrong with it but just seeing if i should sell it or just keep it til i get funds for custom turbo:shady:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
anyone have any opinions about them? G35 is kind of lame in the snow and in general, So I'm considering one. Drove an 08 and it was nicer then I expected so I figure an 11 would just be like that but better.
The 2008s virtually had the same 2.5-liter from the 2006-2007 models, while the 2009s and later had a much more powerful 2.5-liter and some other bits (I believe some suspension parts and a few other things that I can't remember) that were improved from before, so it was a much better overall package, probably to the point where a lot of people who bought 2008 WRXs were kicking themselves for not waiting.

I drove a 2009 WRX when they first came out, and I was pretty pleased with the power delivery. It still understeered more than you wanted it to, but most people who are in the market for a WRX (over an STI) should be content with it. Obviously I wasn't going to get one to replace my Evo, but I wanted to test drive one anyway, and it was pretty solid for a DD in terms of the performance you get. A few publications were getting VERY comparable acceleration numbers compared to the STI. Getting a WRX wagon as a DD did cross my mind, though of course my practical side realized that as good of an all-around DD it would be, it wouldn't be that smart to do it.

Apparently the tranny was strengthened in 2009 too which is good because it seem like the 5 speeds are made of glass if you read NASIOC...
Like someone else said, that typically applied to the earliest WRXs released in the U.S.

Agreed. If I didn't have an Evo but had around $25k or so budgeted toward a car and I insisted on getting something brand new, it would definitely be a white 2011 WRX hatchback, especially now that the STI widebody panels and such are standard. Also, the wheel width and tire size has gone up as well (though I'm not a fan of the wheel design, but whatever... the BBS wheels from the 2010 STI Special Edition are nice replacements for it, haha). The 1.9% APR is also a nice bonus (until January 3, 2011).

As a side note, one of my friends who previous had a Sentra SE-R SpecV (of the previous bodystyle), and he was considering either a 2011 WRX hatchback or a pre-owned Mazdaspeed 3 (either a 2006 or 2008, I can't remember which exact year, but it was the same bodystyle), and price aside (as it wasn't a determining factor for him between the cars), he went with the MS3. I'm not sure if I agree with him (though it has been two years since I drove a WRX and even longer since I drove an MS3), but he said that he felt the WRX was too laggy to him, and he preferred the handling of the MS3 over the WRX as well.

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im not lookin to do anything crazy...i just wanna show up here and be like 0-60 in 4.7 biotches

im working out a deal for a wr blue premium hatch..should find out about it tomorrow

·
because slowbra
353 Posts
im not lookin to do anything crazy...i just wanna show up here and be like 0-60 in 4.7 biotches

im working out a deal for a wr blue premium hatch..should find out about it tomorrow
awd can help you achieve that goal of yours :p

WRX's are definitely great all around cars and like boosted said with a simple TBE and a tune you'll be making awesome numbers. If you live in a snowy climate and could use awd I would say go for it.

Good luck.
Dan

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no I mean I want to say it on crsx...lol not actually do it...ill probably try and blow up my tranny..lolz

they seem like they are fairly easy to work on...im scared of the VQ..:chuck:

·
N54>K20
1,009 Posts

seriously though its a nice car, new '11 has a nice wide body look like the Sti

1 - 20 of 1843 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.