Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8" alpine type R in a custom sub box powered by a MRV-M500 amp. It's the SWR-8D2 model and i believe im running it at 4ohms with 300watts of power. the first one i had started to make a weird sloppy sounding noise at mrdium/high volume but at low volume it sounds fine. For the sub to even move i need the gain set pretty high along with bass boost. I believe i am running 10 guage wire which could be the problem but i'm not sure.. Thank you for any advice

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
Sounds like a torn spider or possibly cone separation from the vc/spider assembly. usually that is from overdriving the sub and using bass boost is the easiest way to overdrive a sub as it introduces a ton of distortion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my second replacement sub from crutchfield. The last one did this too so i think it's probably me overdriving it. Should i invest in a bigger sub so i dont have to push it as hard? Or get a second 8" sub? I know my amp can handle either

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
if you are pushing it to hard it is usually because you are expecting more out of it then it is capable of, A single 8 is not going to give you huge bass (unless it is an 8w7) Best to add an additional sub turn off bass boost and properly set the gain with test tones and multi-meter or oscope. Then you will know what the subs are capable of and anything more than that will cause a shortened lifespan for the subs. also you could look at moving to a 10 or 12 asoff the same power they may give you what you seek bass wise without overdriving.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that might be the case. I'll admit at times that i pushed it pretty hard. Do you think 2 8"s in two seperate sealed enclosures will produce better sound and be louder than 1 10" in a sealed enclosure? Thanks for the information tho!

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
I think that might be the case. I'll admit at times that i pushed it pretty hard. Do you think 2 8"s in two seperate sealed enclosures will produce better sound and be louder than 1 10" in a sealed enclosure? Thanks for the information tho!
I'd have the 8's in the same airspace, mutual coupling will gain you 2-3db, as for louder, the 8's off the same power as the 10 should be louder as more cone area will move more air but that also depends on power used and the efficiency of the subs. 10 will go lower though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted crutchfield about the problem and they recommended that i use 4-Gauge wire instead of my 10 gauge wire. ill try that first before buying another sub

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Dude. Whatever level your sub outputs before clipping the amp or over-extending the cone; that's the max. My personal, non-professional, guess is that your problem has nothing to do with the gauge of the wire. I can easily push my (basic) stereo to the point where the drivers are getting tubby. And some music is more bass-happy that others; obviously. Personally... I adjust the bass and the high pass filter for each disc or program. If you raise the bottom end of the spectrum (set a limit as to how low the frequencies can go); you may be able to have a decent amount of boom without killing the amp or the cones. It's your system, obviously, so do what you want. Just suggesting that there are other options besides having it all balls out. I mean this with all respect and good will. It could even be that the amp is feeding program material that the subs can't even reproduce. This gets turned into heat. And ya' can't hear that. But your equipment sure feels it. Check it out. And good luck. -scott

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
shouldn't need more than 8 gauge for that amp.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that too. But once i get my other sub hooked up and really start pushing the system, i'll probably need more than the 8 gauge. I'll play it safe and spend the extra dollars for the 4 gauge

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
I thought that too. But once i get my other sub hooked up and really start pushing the system, i'll probably need more than the 8 gauge. I'll play it safe and spend the extra dollars for the 4 gauge
running the same amp down to 2 ohm with 2 subs still shouldn't need more than 8 gauge, 500 watts and max of 20 ft of wire. Now if adding a second amp you would need 4 gague

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Already purchased a 4 gauge wire haha. Thank you for the info tho! I'll let you know what difference it makes once it's installed

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
Already purchased a 4 gauge wire haha. Thank you for the info tho! I'll let you know what difference it makes once it's installed
Until you properly set your gain and turn down the bass boost, it won't make a difference. Good luck though - at least you'll be set up if you ever install a larger amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts