Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I LOVE HATERS!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know on Saturday my tie rod seperated from my steering rack due to me maxing out my toe to "0" on a -1.4 degrees of camber.

I was wondering what's a technique I can do to get my toe to a decent manner in order to drive it to work and get it on the alignment rack. I know there's the string technique, but I've never tried it and if you have other resolutions fill me in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Driving less than 100 miles won't affect your tires. I have driven 30-40 miles with massive toe in to get a race alignment before. Just eyeball it.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
^^^ yeah that, as long as your not snowplowing you should be fine

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Old school alinment..........

Get 2 2x4's( or something long and strait) and a musuring tape......drop the car on the gronund and roll it a foot or so to settle the suspension. Lay the 2x4's down next to each of the ft tires and in line with them. Then just take a mesurement in ft and behind the tires. Get the 2 numbers as close to even as you can by turning the tie rod with a adjustable wrench and you will be close to zero toe......fyi, this can be done with the hood open and the air box removed, I like to brake loose the lock nuts from under the car and then adjust the toe from under the hood.....Do not forget to tighen up the lock nuts.:thumbsup:

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
well it's a little harder then just using a string becouse toe has to be measured at axel hight. you can make yourself a home made guage with a 2x4 and two sheets of plywood.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
I string it up...

4 jack stands 2 lines of fishing line, some weights to add tention.

then measure from the center of the hub to the string and make sure the distance is equal front to rear. (make the jack stands at a height so the string is equal to the center of the wheel)

then measure at the front lip and compare to the rear lip....

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
I have -1.4 and zero toe right now. Is there something else about your setup that's causing you to run out of threads? Or are you just saying you screwed up?

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Different ride heights will alter how much adjustment you have.

I'm at -2.5 deg camber with OEM endlinks with 1/32nd toe out...

but then the car is only lowered about 1.5"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts