Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HyTech has just finished its prototype supercharged system for the RSX type S. It utilizes a screw compressor. Unfortunately we can only show you the supercharger and not the whole kit at this time.
What is a screw compressor? A screw compressor actually compresses the air inside of its housing. An Eaton or roots type is just an air blower. The differences between the screw and roots chargers are. The roots is only good to 5 lbs of manifold pressure after that the efficiency goes down. The screw is good to 30 lbs. The screw type is quieter and has a lower discharge tempature than the roots does. The only down side is, it is more expensive.

Our kit is also unique in that the intake manifold will have a intercooler system inside it. The system is from Sweden and is brand new. It has the lowest pressure drop across its core and it is 85% efficient. Those are extremely good numbers. Why intercool it. Because of the high compression of the RSX type S, the lower the intake temp is, the less chance of detonation. It will also come with a plug and play ECU upgrade to control the engine management system. It will control the fuel curve, ignition timing, VTEC engagement point and VCT of the cam shaft. A special exhaust header and cat back will also be in the kit to work inconjunction with the supercharger.

Cost? Unknown at this point. Power estimates 300 Hp to the wheels and about 250 lbs of torque. Availability? Sometime in late April after the Import Auto Salon in Long Beach CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
OMG I want one!! Good work!! Do you have any more info for us!?!? Anything to hold us over!! PLEASE YOU HAVE TO HELP US!

:spin:

-Clu

·
Future C.F.O.
2,271 Posts
When you say 300 more hp to the wheels, do you mean 300 more hp in addition to the Type'S 200hp? :confused: Wouldn't make much sense to have a 500hp RSX. hehehe. So I'm guessing the logical hp would be 300.

G

·
is this a bolt on kit???would the internals of the engine need to get replaced for that extra 300hp to the wheels!!!

·
Ex-Mod
25,997 Posts
Not even a ball park figure of a cost? $2000, $2500, $3000, $4000? C'mon you gotta kow how much it might cost, just toss out a close price, so some of us can get an idea of what it might set us back at. Later, and good work on the S/C'er!

G

·
interesting...300 to the wheels....IMO, the price probably will be more than $4500 considering it's a kit and will come with a custom exhaust....

what should i do with my comptech, spent around 700 for it :(

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
AbsolutRSX said:
interesting...300 to the wheels....IMO, the price probably will be more than $4500 considering it's a kit and will come with a custom exhaust....

what should i do with my comptech, spent around 700 for it :(
make sure it does come w/ an exhaust, i dont think so...but we'll see....
if it does..umm...wait for comptech's sc.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
CrazyFoool said:

make sure it does come w/ an exhaust, i dont think so...but we'll see....
if it does..umm...wait for comptech's sc.
In his first post, hitechex mentions the supercharger comes with it's own headers and catback exhaust.

As for the price, the way he described it, I think we can expect it to be real expensive. Screw compressor, intake manifold with a built in intercooler, headers, exhaust, and an ECU upgrade controler (sounds sorta like a i-Vtec controller the way he described it). Not to mention he flat out said it was gonna be expensive.

I'd guess it's gonna cost $5000 and up

·
Audio Forum Moderator
5,177 Posts
first off I think you are undershooting the price. JRSC with no intercooler, header, exhaust, nor ECU runs around 3500. also it does not produce anywhere near the promised power of this one. now lets just go on Greddys Turbo for the supra which will give similer gains. it goes for 4000, then lets add a cat back, another 500 (granted I'm being very liberal), drop in a header, 500 more, how about an intercooler, 700, now and ECU upgrade to redo EVERYTHING that has to do with the engine, lets just be nice and say a grand. now with just that you have 5700. because its a screw design it will be higher cost, again being nice lets just say 6grand. now he said it will be expensive, with all this in one small block, hmmmm I'm guessing no less than 6500. although for 300hp (I'm guessing 250) to the wheels it might be worth it, because you will spend more than that getting a NA car to 250, thats if it doesn't get to the promissed 300. I am welcoming this new addition. and will ask two questions.

1 - where will the SC be mounted
2 - what part of the engine will end up driving the SC.
3 - (thought of another) how many parts will need to be replaced?
will it just be the rods and piston heads? the cam shaft? valve springs, bore the engine out a lil then drop in sleeves? need more fuel, so a new fuel pump/pressure regulator/fuel rail? I'm guessing around 10gs will be needed to get it all done and tuned correctly. I'd rather the kit come with the engine replacements, than the header and exhaust. please get us more information as stated above. though I'm interested.

Torinalth

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Questions answered.

The price will be in the 5K range. The screw compressor is only a few hundred dollars more than a roots type so it's not that bad. But to make it work right, the Plug and Play system will add a fair amount to the cost of the kit. We at HyTech understand the inter-workings of boosted engines and especially with the high compression of the RSX type S at 11 to 1. If we try to do it with a fuel pressure regulator and injectors. You will run into reliability problems right away. With boosted engines the engine management system is the most critical part of the operation. Fuel and timing need to be very accurate and with the stock ECU and its microprocessor you cannot do it. It will be a long time before anyone cracks into it. So we wanted to do our own system to ensure the reliability and perfromance of the kit.

The supercharger monuts where the intake manifold sits now. The drive systems is a work of art and is the simplest arrangemant that you can imagine.

With the Plug and Play ECU arrangement no internal modifcations will be necessary.

The power we stated will be 300 HP to the wheels total not extra, The motor simply wouldn't live very long at 500 HP. There is a limit to everything.

Also the one major factor to making more power in any boosted application is the fuel. Gas now is at 91 octane in CA. The lower the octane the lower the max cylinder pressure that you can safely run. Once the max cylinder pressure reaches a critical point if you do not add more fuel or reduce the timing detionation will occur, good bye motor. And when you add fuel or reduce timing the power will go down. So there is a limit as to how much power we can safely make with the RSX. If we could still buy 110 octane gas then things would be different. And race gas is around 5 to 7 bucks a gallon.

Our goal is to produce a kit that will work and have reliability. And the price will follow. We won't make the kit cheaper by reducing its quality or reliability. By doing it this way the possibility of the OEM picking it up as a dealer add on will be signifcantly more appealing. And quantities will always drop the price.

·
Audio Forum Moderator
5,177 Posts
there we go. this is the kind of info I was looking for. I was noticing in the picture that it looked as if the exposed part would polt onto the intake where the manifold is currently, basically how any roots SC would plug up. ok, alot of people like to run intakes and the like. will yours come with a custom intake, or will we need to purchase an injen short ram or, whatever intake we choose.

you also touched on the fuel. well alot of places sell 89 or 93, of course we will not cheapen our Type S so most will get 93, like myself. with this known will you be able to squeeze anything out of the SC more than 91 octane? also if I wanted to add a fuel rail, new fuel pump, and presure regulator to push more gas into the engine, would I be able to raise the amount of air being pushed as well? also the intercooler should help quite alot in preventing detonation.

one subject you did not talk about..... replacements. will we have to replace the rods, pistons, and valves with all the increased pressure? from my understanding the honda setup will take no more than 15:1 before it will either break a rod or the shaft. so, truthfully, what will need to be done to make sure somthing does not break? the camshaft? heads? rods? valves? crank rod? also will you suggest a different transmition due to the added stress? adding power is one thing, but keeping the car intact is another. frankly for 300 HP 5k is not a bad price. you have my full atention my friend. tell me whats going to be done to ensure that we dont blow our engines after we snap this puppy on.

Torinalth

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
Wow! But some questions!

Everything torinalth said please plus this...

What kind of gas mileage would the supercharger give to the rsx-s compared to stock? Will it be below 20 mpg? Can a normal mechanic shop install it? Any warranty on the product? When is the expected release date? It will be 50 state legal right, meaning i can drive it on the streets here in Southern Cali without getting pulled over by a pig? More info and maybe some stats on it would be appreciated. Also pictures of it installed on the prototype would be nice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The gas milage will be the same or better running around town and not putting your foot into it. Once the pedal goes down so does the gas mileage.
The supercharger will bolt up to a new intake manifold that is a catsing.
We will try to get it to be CARB apporoved.
The problem with the fuel is the octane, not how much we put into the motor. We can turn the boost up and the fuel if we want, but the internals won't be up for it. The plug and play system will give it plenty of fuel no problem. It is the octane that will limit power.
As for the internals of the motor. Yes we will be making new rods and pistons and cam shafts but that is later. We feel we won't need to upgrade the internals with our kit unless you boost past the 8 lbs we will be running. After that then stronger internals will be needed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The biggest problem I see is that the Type-S is somewhat crippled as it is and might never be able to effectively use all the power.

Anyone knows what it would take to get an upgraded transmission capable of handling this added HP - incl. LSD addition, etc?

Once you get all that done, brake upgrades are almost a must - count another $2000-3000.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts