Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I've been having a surging idle for a few weeks now and I've tried everything. calibration the TPS, checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned iacv multiple times, got air out of coolant lines, messed around with the idle valve duty adjustment. I'm out of ideas at this point.

i have a k20a and put on RBC and hybrid racing throttle body. I have the iacv rotated 180 as shown in the HR install guide and no coolant lines running to it. The motor runs fine at first but than surges between 1000-2300 rpm once up to temperature.

I've uploaded a datalog of a start if someone can be so kind as to help me out!

Attachments

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive tried this yes. is this something i can slide side to side when the car is on as ive been saving and uploading after each change.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
ive tried this yes. is this something i can slide side to side when the car is on as ive been saving and uploading after each change.
No, the car would have to be off unless you blip the throttle up to about 5000rpm and upload immediately.

Try setting the idle higher, maybe 1100rpm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You said you cleaned the IAC, but you didn't say if you determined that it was actually working properly.

Remove the intake tube, start the car, and while the idle is surging, cover the IAC valve hole in the throttle body near the butterfly. If your car sputters and stops, then your IAC isn't working properly and needs to be replaced.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ when I originally had the iacv hooked up i did this and the surging continued. I have since gotten rid of the iacv all together and the car is still surging the same as before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, then I'd check for more vacuum leaks.

If you block off the idle air hole with your finger (the one that goes to the IAC) and your car still runs, then you have an air leak somewhere. There is no way for your engine to continue running if you have the throttle (butterfly) fully closed and the idle air bypass hole fully plugged, unless there is another path for air to get into the engine (which would be a leak).

Check again for vacuum leaks.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ I mentioned that I then deleted IACV all together and disabled it in kpro with the same outcome of a surging idle. I installed a hybrid racing throttle body and it appears that the sealant inside the throttle body is not there which is allowing a lot of air to enter. I'm gonna put my ITR TB back on to see if that remedies the issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
did you ever figure out what your problem was? i'm having the same issue i have a skunk2 70mm TB paired with the rbc

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ I ended up fixing the problem with the idle aid slider bar. I just recently put a new throttle body on and removed the IACV all together. I'm having the same problem again and the bar doesn't seem to be smoothing things out...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had it bedore untill I found out mine K-pro was counterfiet. Check your K-pro first to see if yours is real. Hope this helps.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tps sensor is fine. my problem seems to be from the hybrid racing throttle body. When i put my stock throttle body on the surging idle is gone.

Anyone else having issues with the HR throttle body?

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a feeling the sealant around the butterfly valve in the throttle body is letting too much air in. I'll be pulling this apart once again this weekend to see if I can solve the problem.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,830 Posts
Same problem for me...I started the car and it ran fine then when it ca,e up to temp it started surging and now my laptop isn't seeing my kpro....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the same problem, replaced the IAC idles perfectly 4 days later same idle surge wtf! so frustrating can anyone help?

·
Registered
305 Posts
You probably know this, but just wanna throw it out there, because it happened to me.
An 02-04 and 05-06 throttle body GASKET is diferent, the 05-06 has an extra vacum hole for map.
I had this problem on my 06 type-s when I purchased the rbc manifold and put the wrong gasket.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You probably know this, but just wanna throw it out there, because it happened to me.
An 02-04 and 05-06 throttle body GASKET is diferent, the 05-06 has an extra vacum hole for map.
I had this problem on my 06 type-s when I purchased the rbc manifold and put the wrong gasket.
Hope it helps.
So which gasket is the right one? I'm running 05-06 tb with rbc

·
Registered
305 Posts
So which gasket is the right one? I'm running 05-06 tb with rbc
Sorry bout that, The right one was 05-06 gasket. When I purchase the rbc mani, it came with an 02-04 gasket and I thought it was ok, but no. Onces again I'm throwing this out, don't know if is your issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts