Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
4,428 Posts
Well, then I'd check for more vacuum leaks.

If you block off the idle air hole with your finger (the one that goes to the IAC) and your car still runs, then you have an air leak somewhere. There is no way for your engine to continue running if you have the throttle (butterfly) fully closed and the idle air bypass hole fully plugged, unless there is another path for air to get into the engine (which would be a leak).

Check again for vacuum leaks.
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I installed my RBC, Im running an 05-06 Throttle body so the MAP sensor is on the manifold itself. All sensors and everything were working prior to the swap. After I installed the RBC my idle is at 3k. I adjusted the throttle cable and got it down to 2k at idle. I was told not to adjust the cable, its self adjusting (not sure on that but it was done already) I did try the action above and my car completely died. So no leaks. What else could it be? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I installed my RBC, Im running an 05-06 Throttle body so the MAP sensor is on the manifold itself. All sensors and everything were working prior to the swap. After I installed the RBC my idle is at 3k. I adjusted the throttle cable and got it down to 2k at idle. I was told not to adjust the cable, its self adjusting (not sure on that but it was done already) I did try the action above and my car completely died. So no leaks. What else could it be? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
Did you swap in a new 05-06 gasket to go along with that?

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Bumping this thread again. It seems like alot of people are having issues when nswitching to S2 or HR throttle bodies... I had just switched to a S2 70mm tb with rbc as well and have the same problem. I also have a ktuned tps as well. Seems like no one has posted a solution to thi and seems to rely around the TB switch... Also i have the ktuned IACV block off plate as well. No leaks as i can tell... IACV is turned off in K pro.

·
know1edge
2,273 Posts
I've had this issue for almost a year now. Only happens when you get on the throttle into the higher RPM's. When you come to a stop light, the rpm's will sit around 1500-1800 and if you tough the pedal, it will dip to normal and bounce right back up. Usually surging on it's own. I've tried multiple .kal's and all seem to have the same issue.
I replaced my spark plugs also and no difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm also having the same problem, I replaced the IACV because i thought that was the problem but the idle is still surging, I also have a P0325 (Knock sensor malfunction) CEL on... replaced the knock sensor and harness that connects to it but its still not going away. I wonder if that CEL has anything to do with the idle surge.. maybe a fuel issue somewhere?

·
How do I install a CAI?
18 Posts
Bump again? Anyone have answers? My 2003 type S just started rev surging at idle. It happens about a minute after a cold start and will surge immediately on a warm start. Ideas?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm also having the same problem, I replaced the IACV because i thought that was the problem but the idle is still surging, I also have a P0325 (Knock sensor malfunction) CEL on... replaced the knock sensor and harness that connects to it but its still not going away. I wonder if that CEL has anything to do with the idle surge.. maybe a fuel issue somewhere?
my issue turned out to be a stuck iacv. I cleaned it up and lubed it up n good to go for me. but you could either have a vacuum leak or similar issue

·
How do I install a CAI?
18 Posts
Solved!

The problem for me was the iac valve was stuck open. Therefore when the engine starts from cold, the revs would stay high (not surging) since the valve is open just like the computer wants it to be. However once the engine warms up the computer tries to close the iacv to make the opening smaller (and thus the idle revs lower) but it couldn't because the valve is stuck open.

Details for future reference: after hours of research and finding all sorts of potential causes to the idle surging I decided to give cleaning the iacv a try. Followed a YouTube video on how to remove it (the actual process is a little bit more involved than the video describes but it's close) and gave it a good cleaning with brake cleaner and a tooth brush. At first I did not remove the little motor that drives the valve because it is attached using two 5-pointed screws and I didn't have that kind of screwdriver. I decided to try unscrewing it by grabbing the screws with a vice grip and it came out easily. Good thing too because after removing the motor I noticed that the valve was still totally stuck. You really can't tell if the valve is stuck or not without removing the motor! I manually twisted the valve to unstick it and then went back in there with brake cleaner, toothbrush, and tooth pick to remove ALL the gunk. Don't trust the YouTube videos that just show the guy spraying some cleaner and calling it a day. You really have to get in there with small tools (a toothpick works wonders) to really clean it out. Just be careful not to go too hard on it if you're using metal tools to scale off the gunk - you don't want to damage anything. It's been about 3 days since I cleaned it and I haven't had any idle surges issues so far.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.

·
VTEC Connoisseur
235 Posts
Any other solutions? I've got a S2 70mm paired with an S2 mani. no leaks and deleted IACV. My Idle surges between 1300 and 1900RPMS. My TPS is crazy sensitive. 1 tap and the revvs fly up to 4500rpms. If I unplug the TPS the surging stops. I've already replaced my TPS and have calibrated it. I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bumoing his as I'm having this issue.

I'm leading to believe that it could possibly be a gasket problem, as I have an rbc with a 70 mm sk2 rbc and a ktuned adapter, I have ordered new gaskets as I do believe the TB side gasket that comes with the SK2 could be the issue, I'm determined to figure this out and will post up all findings and tests so this can be sorted out to helps others.
this issue is very annoying.

and as reference my setup is

03 rsx
invidia q300 catback
ktuned raceheader (cat deleted)
skunk2 D.I.C cams
RBC intake
ktuned rbc adapter
SK2 70 mm TB
ingen C.A.I
Hondata kPro

·
Registered
1 Posts
bumoing his as I'm having this issue.

I'm leading to believe that it could possibly be a gasket problem, as I have an rbc with a 70 mm sk2 rbc and a ktuned adapter, I have ordered new gaskets as I do believe the TB side gasket that comes with the SK2 could be the issue, I'm determined to figure this out and will post up all findings and tests so this can be sorted out to helps others.
this issue is very annoying.

and as reference my setup is

03 rsx
invidia q300 catback
ktuned raceheader (cat deleted)
skunk2 D.I.C cams
RBC intake
ktuned rbc adapter
SK2 70 mm TB
ingen C.A.I
Hondata kPro

Did you ever find the solution? i have the same setup and been dealing with this problem for days now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think most of these issues are caused because of your aftermarket throttle bodies, you should try to put back the OEM and see what happens.

·
Registered
841 Posts
last week i installed my RBC and i have this fluctuation in idle between 750 and 2000 but only happens when the engine is cold after it reaches operating temp everything is normal what could it be?

·
Registered
841 Posts
after struggling 8 months with this issue i finally solved it (at least in my case), my IACV was malfunctioning, the idle was boucing from 1000 to 2000 since starting the engine, and popping the infamous P0505 after a few kilometers, at the beginning was popping that code every few weeks, then every week and at the end many times during the day. i was just erasing the fucking code and go on, i tried everything, cleaning the damn thing, changing the little motor on it, replacing the MAP sensor and moving it from the TB to the RBC and nothing worked. Finally i deleted it using the plate and dissabling it in Kpro. My TB is an Ebay chinese Fake S90 now the idle is completely steady at 1000rpm doesnt stall on stops and doesnt bounce at all and of course no DTCs.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts