Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been re-reading suspension tomes as Zzyzyx suggested. I would like to get out of my head and hear some suggestions if anyone has any.

I'm basically building "a track car that has been detuned to street duty". Just soft enough to use on the street but an awesome handler. It's really fun but want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Currently at 2,3xx lbs. dry. When car weighs 2,275 lbs. Konis Sports with 336lb front/ 515 rear will put the hz. at 2.1 hz front, 2.35 rear. Until another 100+lbs comes off of mostly the front, the hz. difference is even wider. However...

Using Andy Hollis' guidance, I went with higher negative camber in the rear. -2.5 front/ -3 rear, so the high rear hertz seems to be working out.

My usual test area has eight corners, speeds ranging in the 35 to 45 mph. I can get the 9.5" wide RA1s to sing so we're moving. The drop is between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" but will raise about to about 1" to 1 1/4" to allow for a bit more travel as the springs will allow the dampers to very lightly bottom. Lower diameter R!Rs will drop it another 1/2"

Due to R lca I'm stuck with the CTR bars, 25.5 front, but it sure feels good, anyway. Rear bar is a 22mm R bar.

I was thinking of the next step, if necessary, of 375 lb. fronts as it would bring the front/ rear Hz. closer to about 2.2/2.35. Then maybe add an adjustable rear bar.

Feedback is welcome.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd go the Hoeschler route for a track car but softer springs and bars for the street. Plus I can't afford an entirely new coilover set up.

And I'll do bushings, Torrington bearings, lsd, etc. after I get the springs right.

Right now I just wanted to see if the springs are going to work. They seem so light but the hz. are right...

I'm wondering if I will need to even go to 375 front.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Bars reduce grip, no way around that....went both ways, had a progrss front(28mm?) and a cusco rear(25mm) bars with 375/550lb springs...sucked hard, car was flat but no grip. Turned the wheel and car made a strait:rotfl:

on the cheap....get some tuned rear shocks and 800-900lbrear springs...then run your your 375lb fronts.....run a 15mm front bar with as big of a rear bar as you can run in the rear....use the non drive wheel to controle body roll...that seems to work on these things....jmo

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
28mm front bar, holy crap.

Yeah, a bigger rear spring and bar is a good direction. Still too much for the budget right now. Is there a 15mm bar that fits the Type R lca? Didn't think there was. I keep struggling with staying low for a little street comfort. 500 lbs off the springs will equal 400/730 on a stock EP so it's still pretty stiff. Right now, the 336 spring and 25.5 bar just isn't slipping - it's rock solid.

I'm also confusing myself and the issue with you, Dennis Grant, Evan, Zzyzyx, Hoeschler, Andy Hollis, etc. It's amazing how different the approaches are and they all work very well.

Scott, I knew how you felt about spring/bars but appreciate the feedback. Lets me see from a different perspective.

I'm moving back to the east coast in a week but probably the next thing I need to do is get the next 100 lbs. off and get some real corner weight numbers instead of guesstimating. I've used the dump scales but it's just not accurate enough. Then do the stupid bushings and lsd and then change the springs and bars. How's that sound?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts